Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469249 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1250 on: 29 August, 2016, 09:40:39 am »
I've been for a pre-op assessment. It was useful - the paperwork I had said to stop using Aspirin before the op, but not when. Turn out I need to stop taking it two weeks before. I also found out I'll be in plaster for 6 weeks post op.

Got weighed. I'm back up to 80kg. That is a surprise, mostly because my trousers are falling off me, I'm hungry a lot of the time (but food is unappetising - topirimate side-effect). When I was 83kg I had trouble doing up the same trousers and Tshirts were tight. So I dunno where all the Kg are hiding.

How do normally get weighed & on which/whose scales?
Very few are really well-calibrated. I would not be surprised if you are lighter in other circumstances.

Good luck with the op!
The scales at home agreed with the hospital . . .
I've been away in the lakes for a week of pub food and beer, but surprisingly have not gained weight but have gained belly fat! Bodies are weird.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1251 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:18:08 am »
Doing my morning stretches and something went pop deep in my pelvis, hoping that's progress.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1252 on: 03 September, 2016, 05:19:36 pm »
Me legs is sore.  Feels great.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1253 on: 04 September, 2016, 01:13:47 pm »
'graft from iliac crest' I had this naive idea that meant a teeny little cut and an achy hip for a few days.

It's a 4" incision with incredible bruising (it extends round my back, doesn't show up in the p'c) , sitting up is really hard, can't use abdominal muscles on that side. coughing is a very bad idea

Apart from "keep wound site dry" I haven'y been told anything about care of this.

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1254 on: 04 September, 2016, 01:20:36 pm »
Leave the steristrips till they drop off.  After three days or so you should be okay to have a quick shower, so long as you don't soak the wound.  Don't lie around in bed, don't be an invalid.  But rest is important.

Lie on your right side in a ball before you get up.  Support the sore bits with your hand when you need to cough.

Eat protein.

Don't do stupid things like repairing boats, cleaning up after teenagers, or lifting anything heavier than a phone book.  Your body is using its resources to heal so don't put further demands (like bike riding or hiking or housework) on it.

Get enough sleep.  This should be a high priority.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1255 on: 04 September, 2016, 01:27:50 pm »
I'm not doing much 'cause one-armed. back to work mon, but that's sedentary and I'll come home early if I'm tired.

Something popped when I coughed, but it doesn't hurt now. I just didn't expect them taking the bone for the graft to affect abdominal muscles

I have waterproof dressings to keep it covered
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1256 on: 04 September, 2016, 01:30:18 pm »
lifting anything heavier than a phone book

A modern phone book, or a proper one from the 1980s?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1257 on: 04 September, 2016, 01:55:34 pm »
lifting anything heavier than a phone book

A modern phone book, or a proper one from the 1980s?

Circa 1993.
Milk please, no sugar.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1258 on: 04 September, 2016, 02:01:17 pm »
And if you need owt done (or a care package casserole - 1980's Neighbours-stylee) next weekend, do say so!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1259 on: 04 September, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »
Sympathy.  :-\

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1260 on: 04 September, 2016, 03:04:34 pm »
Sending healing vibe MrC

I've just done a 10 mile pootle. 5 miles out, a latte and 5 miles back. :-). As its my first post op pootle I'm a bit sore now.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1261 on: 04 September, 2016, 06:01:17 pm »
Ouch, sympathies Mr C.  Heal well and soon.  I like Ruthie's advice.

« Reply #1262 on: 04 September, 2016, 06:13:55 pm »
Sending healing vibe MrC

I've just done a 10 mile pootle. 5 miles out, a latte and 5 miles back. :-). As its my first post op pootle I'm a bit sore now.
that sounds great. well done
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1263 on: 04 September, 2016, 07:08:54 pm »
Leave the steristrips till they drop off.  After three days or so you should be okay to have a quick shower, so long as you don't soak the wound.  Don't lie around in bed, don't be an invalid.  But rest is important.

Lie on your right side in a ball before you get up.  Support the sore bits with your hand when you need to cough.

Eat protein.

Don't do stupid things like repairing boats, cleaning up after teenagers, or lifting anything heavier than a phone book.  Your body is using its resources to heal so don't put further demands (like bike riding or hiking or housework) on it.

Get enough sleep.  This should be a high priority.

(My bold)
Yes, do as you're told!  :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1264 on: 04 September, 2016, 07:52:16 pm »
Also Ig you've an an operation involving your abdomen, driving will hurt too.

« Reply #1265 on: 04 September, 2016, 09:30:07 pm »
Well I'm one handed, so driving for a bit. Not tempted to try cycling.

Not sure about working tomorrow, it's not the work, it's the commute. That cough tore something and the bruising is worse I'm really sore. Spent most of the day asleep on the sofa.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1266 on: 04 September, 2016, 09:35:54 pm »
Cystitis. Again.
No 400 for me this weekend. I think I'm up to 3 bouts this year - I really should start keeping a tally.

My wife has recently started suffering repeated bouts (this last time they've sent a sample to the lab to see if it's a particularly stubborn strain), but coincidentally we were watching "Trust me, I'm a doctor" and Hiprex was mentioned. This is a prophylactic drug that makes the urine hostile to bacterial infection and can be prescribed in cases of repetitive cystitis. My wife will be enquiringly about it at her annual checkup next week - she certainly doesn't want a bout when she's in the US next month.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1267 on: 11 September, 2016, 03:48:18 pm »
The Inlaw Paw will be home Wed or Thur, and we have had a hospital-style bed and anti-bedsore air mattress installed for him.  Bloke who installed it pointed out a yellow tab for emergency deflation, explaining that you need it if heart massage is required, "otherwise you get the basketball-dribble effect".

« Reply #1268 on: 12 September, 2016, 08:15:12 am »
Dr Google suggest infection of epididymis.   :'(  Feel like I've been booted in the twig 'n' berries.  Seeing quack this evening.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1269 on: 12 September, 2016, 05:54:09 pm »
Ciprofloxacin ftw. GWS!

« Reply #1270 on: 12 September, 2016, 07:26:24 pm »
Obtaining required samples would be fun  ;D if it were not for the discomfort...  :-\ (apply liberal mindbleach if required)
Thanks helly.

« Reply #1271 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:45:44 am »
Another day, another seizure (if that's what they are), ho hum.

Conscious for this one. About 2am, woke choking, constriction in throat feeling, felt unable to breath. Followed by whole body muscle contraction/rigidity/spasms. Jaw rigid teeth clenching. Aware of what was happening, aware that Charly was asleep, that I woke her and she asked me what was going on, unable to answer until spasm/contraction ceased. Throat contraction went first, then body relaxed. No pain in head or other migraine aura

Not huge spasms, but not fun when you have internal stitches still healing, and arm osteotomy/graft healing. arm is distinctly achy today
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1272 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:50:14 am »
How awful, sorry mrc.  :-\ Take care.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1273 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:51:59 am »
Ugh, that sounds unpleasant. I presume you're logging these and letting the docs know. Hope you don't feel too awful today physically or psychologically.

« Reply #1274 on: 13 September, 2016, 11:02:49 am »
that makes 3 in 12 months - but the only one wher I was fully aware. back to nuero I suppose.

I guess I'm officially weird
I'm fed up of being ill, broken limbs, head not being functioning. Makes me miserable, MrsC is fed up of it too and saying so
<i>Marmite slave</i>