Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 388326 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1300 on: 02 November, 2016, 04:31:04 pm »
However, there are upwards of 100 Typhoons and 70 Tornados in storage, so the airframes are available...

The likelihood is that they'll re-equip with a variant of the Hawk 100 (T2), with BAeS providing the airframes and tech support on a lease as they do with the T2s at Valley. The 24 on the original lease are apparently specifically prohibited from doing formal aerobatics, to prevent the RAF from redeploying them to the Red Arrows. Anything other than the Hawk (given that the Typhoon would be too expensive!) would undermine the Reds' role as a demonstration of British aviation and engineering capabilities.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1301 on: 02 November, 2016, 07:32:54 pm »
Given the state of MoD budgets these days it'll end up being 9 red Raleigh Wayfarers with marine distress flares tied to the rear racks for smoke effects.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1302 on: 02 November, 2016, 07:42:01 pm »
Typhoon.  :demon:

Can you imagine the noise?
Well?
Can you?
No, I thought not.

Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaazzzzzzzeeeee ;)

« Reply #1303 on: 02 November, 2016, 08:05:36 pm »
Typhoon.  :demon:

Can you imagine the noise?
Well?
Can you?
No, I thought not.

Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaazzzzzzzeeeee ;)

I've heard the noise that one Typhoon makes. It's quite... distinctive.  ;D

Which is why I suggested the idea of nine in formation - it would sound like the universe being put through the wringer. 

Mind you, the F-35 is supposed to be even louder.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1304 on: 02 November, 2016, 08:14:48 pm »
Indeed.  ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1305 on: 03 November, 2016, 09:02:59 pm »
Interesting to note the RAF is 'celebrating 100 years in Lincolnshire' when the RAF itself is 98 years old...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1306 on: 04 November, 2016, 03:16:33 pm »
Interesting to note the RAF is 'celebrating 100 years in Lincolnshire' when the RAF itself is 98 years old...
I think they should recruit someone who can count.

Personally, I think the Red Arrows should have HAL Ajeets.

But I much preferred the Black Arrows with their Hunters.
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1307 on: 04 November, 2016, 04:05:24 pm »
Was it the Black Arrows who set the world record for a formation loop?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

TimC

« Reply #1308 on: 04 November, 2016, 11:18:31 pm »
Was it the Black Arrows who set the world record for a formation loop?

Yes, 22 Hunters in 1958.

TimC

« Reply #1309 on: 04 November, 2016, 11:21:22 pm »
I think they should recruit someone who can count.

Personally, I think the Red Arrows should have HAL Ajeets.

But I much preferred the Black Arrows with their Hunters.

The RAF are actually celebrating 100 years of flying at RAF Waddington, which was an RFC airfield and began operations in 1916. There are several others even older, but not many still actively flying. There are also many Squadrons which were formed in the RFC and RNAS which are now 100 years old.

« Reply #1310 on: 05 November, 2016, 11:20:11 am »
Pretty sure there was some small commemoration in 2012 (or was it 2011?); ICBA to check but IIRC it was the anniversary of the RFC's founding (or was it that of the Air Bn, RE? - can't remember if that was balloons or aircraft).

« Reply #1311 on: 01 December, 2016, 12:30:56 am »
Don't think I've ever seen thrust reversers utilised to make a J-turn on the runway before.  8)  :D

Saab Viggen air show party piece: https://youtu.be/mJo7aqOfRww
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1312 on: 01 December, 2016, 01:02:23 pm »
Don't think I've ever seen thrust reversers utilised to make a J-turn on the runway before.  8)  :D

Saab Viggen air show party piece: https://youtu.be/mJo7aqOfRww

Very cool.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1313 on: 30 January, 2017, 12:46:19 pm »
Not a plane but seen in a garden in Suffolk whilst on a ride on Saturday

A quick google suggests Lindstrand Technologies is the company owned by Per Lindstrand of round the world ballooning fame with Richard Branson in the 1980's. I think I missed the flying, the 30th May date seems to have been last year. I just haven't cycled that route for a while.

G-INFO suggests it's now declared as a non-flyer so I wonder how the testing went. The taped over wording suggests passenger rides may have been an option. I assume it was taped over for a reason!

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=CIYR
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1314 on: 03 May, 2017, 01:59:59 pm »
What on earth is going on here? A de Havilland Vampire seems to churn up the runway behind it as it takes off. Is it the jet blast doing this? It's a small plane, it can't be its weight surely?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/02/vintage-plane-rips-runway-take-off-inwolverhampton/?playlist=structure%253Anews%252Fuk-news
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1315 on: 03 May, 2017, 02:06:42 pm »
Runway included as part of Amey's west midlands road maintenance contract?   ;D

« Reply #1316 on: 03 May, 2017, 02:13:25 pm »
Runway certified for prop aircraft and nobody thought to check if it would cope with thrust from a jet?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1317 on: 03 May, 2017, 03:50:48 pm »
Oops. I bet it didn't land on that runway afterwards.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

fuzzy

« Reply #1318 on: 03 May, 2017, 04:16:51 pm »
Where are Dom Littlewood or Matt Alwright when you need them?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1319 on: 03 May, 2017, 05:49:49 pm »
What on earth is going on here? A de Havilland Vampire seems to churn up the runway behind it as it takes off. Is it the jet blast doing this? It's a small plane, it can't be its weight surely?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/02/vintage-plane-rips-runway-take-off-inwolverhampton/?playlist=structure%253Anews%252Fuk-news

Yup - jet blast.  Slight design flaw, as the exhaust nozzle points slightly downwards. The runway was already in poor condition, and was due to be re-surfaced shortly anyway.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1320 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:05:58 pm »
I am trying to remember the British jet fighter (books in store as I move) with a tail wheel undercart. Supermarine Attacker? Anyway, it used to leave a furrow when on a take-off run and was deemed... problematic for shipboard use.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1321 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:15:54 pm »
I am trying to remember the British jet fighter (books in store as I move) with a tail wheel undercart. Supermarine Attacker? Anyway, it used to leave a furrow when on a take-off run and was deemed... problematic for shipboard use.
Yup, the Attacker. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Attacker

'The Attacker suffered from deficiencies which led to it quickly being superseded; one being that the aircraft retained the Spiteful's tail-wheel undercarriage (due to the extent of the re-tooling that would have been required to alter the Spiteful's wing),  rather than a nose-wheel undercarriage, thus making the Attacker more difficult to land on aircraft carriers. This same tail-down attitude meant that when operating from grass airfields the jet exhaust would create a long furrow in the ground that "three men could lie down in"'

Supermarine never really seemed to get their act together after WWII did they?  Mostly a series of "almost, but not quite" types with the odd out and out dud thrown in.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1322 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:27:06 pm »
OTOH, Blackburn produced some absolute shockers in the prop age, and then went and produced one of the best low-level tactical bombers of the Cold War with the Buccaneer.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1323 on: 07 May, 2017, 03:29:44 am »
Not just Blackburn (let's not forget the Roc and Skua), but Gloster. I refer to the Javelin, about which I have usually restricted my comments to "Why?"

Especially when the Vixen was available. One of my former plane-fettling colleagues used to joke* about it being the only aircraft ever to slow down when the pilot used reheat.

I suppose the thing is that jet aircraft and their possibilities were such a radical departure from what had gone before that there was bound to be some 'interesting' ideas.

*with the use of the word 'joke', YMMV.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1324 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:42:32 am »
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius