Author Topic: LEL 2022is coming soon  (Read 31799 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: LEL 2021
« Reply #50 on: 13 February, 2021, 10:57:44 pm »
3am feasts.  Brings back memories.  Sitting on the concrete slab of a disused petrol station south of Horncastle on the way to York for the AUK reunion and knowing that the shortbread fingers in my rackpack were, indeed, the most beautiful thing in the known world.
Fabulous. Right now I'm thinking of the absolutely wonderful sandwich on the north coast of Norfolk just before the Co-op closed, and the instruction to turn left on to a main road. Which I did. The next control was Barton Mills. *Almost five hours later* I rolled into the garage at Barton Mills where a lovely young lady was rather bemused by a dozen cyclists asleep on the floor. I joined them for 20 minutes. Then set off for the final control.
That ride was one of those that got me into PBP. Happy days. Right now I'd give my eye teeth to do that again.

Tadcaster service station, a 24hr jewel in the crown.
Flat earth Bob microwaving wet gloves at a service station in Thirsk.
The all night disco at Lockerbie Truck Stop...

I'm feeling bereft.
:(

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #51 on: 07 March, 2021, 10:16:06 am »
Slightly related, for those of us who remember the tranquility of Eskdalemuir valley, the surprise of seeing a big Tibetan temple (that must be sleep deprivation, except it wasn't) and the lovely small community run control: there's plans to end that tranquility by building two shooting ranges for .50 caliber guns. From what I read without bothering to consult the locals what they think about this...

If you want to show your support against this plan you can leave your email (and a donation if you'd like) at http://chng.it/Shs9cCc9DG

« Reply #52 on: 07 March, 2021, 03:43:28 pm »
Flat earth Bob microwaving wet gloves at a service station in Thirsk.

I feel like I've met the same person but the nickname I have for them isn't very forum friendly

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 07 March, 2021, 06:02:56 pm »
I think Hot Glove Bob is pretty harmless as nicknames go.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #54 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:04:41 pm »
So my idea is not original? Perhaps Bob did not get caught by 'the management'

« Reply #55 on: 16 July, 2021, 04:50:10 pm »
E-mail received: "London Edinburgh London 2022 is coming soon!"
Perhaps @Always Cross can amend the thread title. And maybe elevate to pinned in due course.

"Dear rider
"What a strange year we have had! We really hope that you are keeping well, and that you have been able to spend some time on your bike.
"Now that the pandemic is slowly easing, we are making plans for London Edinburgh London 2022. We are delighted to confirm that the event will now take place 7-12 August 2022.
We will now open for entries on 7 January 2022.
You can find more information about the event on our website."

Re: LEL 2022 is Coming Soon
« Reply #56 on: 16 July, 2021, 05:05:08 pm »
Post title changed

Re: LEL 2022is coming soon
« Reply #57 on: 16 July, 2021, 09:59:38 pm »
A bold statement.

Especially as the pandemic is NOT slowly easing but is indeed increasing again rapidly at the moment.

I wonder how volunteers needed to run the controls will feel.

« Reply #58 on: 16 July, 2021, 10:02:15 pm »
A bold statement.

Especially as the pandemic is NOT slowly easing but is indeed increasing again rapidly at the moment.

Particularly as I'm not aware of either a call for volunteers, or for existing volunteers to reaffirm their commitment.

It's an audacious move to announce the event now, but, if not now, then when?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #59 on: 17 July, 2021, 11:09:58 am »
I suggest a clue to solving your bewilderment lies in the subject noun in your sentence, @Rupert.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #60 on: 17 July, 2021, 07:08:50 pm »
This is clearly very tricky to plan for  .. and we have to do that now.. we need to have clear agreements, even if they are not legal contracts with all the control locations. We need to have cracked the 3rd party insurance problem for overseas residents, and that has to be done now, as the 700 who have already paid a £100 deposit will be asked to make a full and  final payment later this year.

We can not leave this to be done at some time in the future , so we have to believe that covid will allow the event to go ahead in 13 months time and we get on with the work NOW to run LEL 2022 .

Should it all go pear shaped .. we will then do our best to sort out what might be run , if anything , with whatever level of support we can  provide.

I doubt that Rupert was really trying to belittle our efforts , and it may be that he misunderstands how lengthy the time of  the planning and organising process has to be .. but I hope this short reply has clarified why Danial has thought it appropriate to let riders know .. that we are working on it now .. and that fingers crossed Aug 2022 will see 2000 at the start.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #61 on: 18 July, 2021, 07:55:44 am »
Thank you.
Having seen just a tiny bit of a corner of the organisation of the last event I appreciate the immense machine behind 'just a bike ride'. The fact it appears on the outside to be a simple well-oiled event is a testament to the planning and the people running it.

« Reply #62 on: 18 July, 2021, 08:24:59 am »
I am certainly not trying to belittle the event at all and it would be great to see LEL back to full capacity again.

I am involved in the organisation of other events myself and from recent experience (mostly Covid related) it is creating many problems for us.  Organisers of many other events are simply deciding to cancel or postpone their events until further notice when hopefully Covid may then be more manageable and predictable.

With an event as big and lengthy as LEL though, the problems and hurdles that have to be overcome must be huge. 

Good luck and best wishes to everyone involved.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #63 on: 18 July, 2021, 12:33:15 pm »
As many will know .. Danial is the Boss .. I just do my best on the money front.
But I think it is reality that if 2022 can not be made to work we can not postpone again to 2023 ..because then we would clash with PBP.
So it is either 2022 in what ever way we can run it .. and if it is not a full scale event , which then gives huge admin headaches ,such as  what style of event , how do we handle entries if there are  potential covid quarantine rules for all/some overseas residents , never mind the financial implications and never forgetting the all important volunteers, then it will have to be 2025 and the 2021 event just  never took place.

« Reply #64 on: 19 July, 2021, 06:49:54 pm »
Hoping the UK gets well soon. But unless things improve a lot by next year, I suspect international LEL entries will be significantly reduced. Anecdotally, I've heard a couple of riders here in the US already decide against it.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-united-kingdom

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #65 on: 20 July, 2021, 02:53:07 pm »
Hoping the UK gets well soon. But unless things improve a lot by next year, I suspect international LEL entries will be significantly reduced. Anecdotally, I've heard a couple of riders here in the US already decide against it.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-united-kingdom
Current situation,  cases will not be so high next summer,  as everyone will have had it,  or been vaccinated against it,  or both in both the USA and the UK.  Unless immune response is to sort lived,  at which time authorities around the world may be taking a different view on suppression.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #66 on: 22 July, 2021, 09:04:24 am »
A bold statement.

One of the many reasons why I couldn't do what Danial does.

Every decision, even the simple one of 'we're going ahead' is questioned, raked over and debated.

My patience would expire within minutes, and I doubt 'just effin' get on with it' would go down well.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #67 on: 22 July, 2021, 11:32:57 am »
I think it could well be that Danial pays little attention to YACF these days .  The FB group gets a lot more input from him, and of course over riding social media chit chat is the reality ,, that he knows what is needed , knows how it has been done, knows where improvements might be made , has a strong core of controllers and helpful contributors  etc.  So it becomes  "" IF 2022 is going to run at all .. lets get on with it with the actions that are needed now ""

Controls are OK , controllers are nearly all OK , volunteers do not currently look like  a problem, route is rough sketched and is an improvement ,  Covid and quarantine we can do nothing about now ,  biggest short term headache that I am aware of is 3rd party cover for foreign residents.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #68 on: 22 July, 2021, 01:50:24 pm »

Controls are OK , controllers are nearly all OK , volunteers do not currently look like  a problem, route is rough sketched and is an improvement ,  Covid and quarantine we can do nothing about now ,  biggest short term headache that I am aware of is 3rd party cover for foreign residents.

I hope it goes ahead and I hope for Danial it's a success.
For my part, I have decided to withdraw from the pool of volunteers, Covid being one of the reasons, but not the only reason... part of me is hoping to have a holiday next year!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #69 on: 23 July, 2021, 12:00:49 pm »
The new dates clash with my 30th wedding anniversary so will not be riding or volunteering.  There's always 2025.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #70 on: 23 July, 2021, 01:29:29 pm »

I hope it goes ahead and I hope for Danial it's a success.
For my part, I have decided to withdraw from the pool of volunteers,
I suspect (on zero evidence) that you won't be alone. I'm sure that the churn of volunteers is in the plan, but Covid may well decrease the number of returning volunteers.

For my part I'm torn as regards volunteering - I'm not getting any younger and the last one really knocked me for six. I really enjoyed the event and the company but not sure I can take the (mental & physical) health hit.

The only route for me (and I'm sure there'll be others like me) is to have a robust conversation with the local controller once I've been allocated to a location.
As far as I remember the application process doest allow me to flag these types of issues up in advance of being allocated to a controller.

« Reply #71 on: 23 July, 2021, 07:51:31 pm »
Well, I have  booked a BnB -  no  guarantee I will actually  be  there but  if  I do I'm set  up for zzzz

« Reply #72 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:26:15 pm »
Well, I have  booked a BnB -  no  guarantee I will actually  be  there but  if  I do I'm set  up for zzzz
That's my plan if I can organise myself!

« Reply #73 on: 23 July, 2021, 11:26:27 pm »
I'll probably settle for the campsite again. It was a nice one last time.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #74 on: 24 July, 2021, 01:40:57 pm »
The only route for me (and I'm sure there'll be others like me) is to have a robust conversation with the local controller once I've been allocated to a location.
As far as I remember the application process doest allow me to flag these types of issues up in advance of being allocated to a controller.

Mike, I'm sure any of the controllers would welcome such a conversation.

At Barney we have the luxury of proper beds just a couple of flights of stairs away, but you'll need to have that conversation to avoid being allotted a punishing work schedule! Last time at least one volunteer of advancing years didn't feel he could work through the night so we organised that to suit him.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa