Author Topic: Slim down your bloated GPX track files  (Read 43632 times)

Phil W

Re: Slim down your bloated GPX track files
« Reply #75 on: 28 July, 2018, 02:36:11 pm »
Thanks I cannot see me adding anything more to it unless someone has a killer idea. The Heroku platform and plan I have  is free for life but should they ever shut down I can shunt the application across to other servers I run stuff on.

Phil W

« Reply #76 on: 13 August, 2018, 05:34:50 pm »
So much for not adding anything more.

It can now split tracks by control.  It is a new option in the split track dropdown.  Track naming works the same way as split by distance.  It looks for waypoints in the GPX, finds the nearest trackpoint for each one. Then splits the track accordingly.  It ignores any waypoints close to the start or end of the original track; to stop any stupidly short tracks being created.

Phil W

« Reply #77 on: 25 September, 2018, 04:34:00 pm »
It can now add proximity alarms to all the waypoints in a GPX file. New dropdown to select from 50 metres to 400 meters.

https://simple-gpx.herokuapp.com/

« Reply #78 on: 25 September, 2018, 05:38:59 pm »
Slightly OT, but I find that when my Garmin Edge Touring is connected to my computer
I can drop any gpx (or tcx) file that I have on my machine into the Touring's 'NewFile'
folder. The gpx/tcx are then automatically converted into a .fit file (which the unit prefers)
and moved to the 'Courses' folder.

It works on some of the smaller rides I've done recently, but will try it on a long ride
soon (which will be the Upper Thames 200 in November).

Phil W

« Reply #79 on: 17 June, 2019, 02:03:42 pm »
Will now split out waypoints, tracks, routes into seperate GPX within the Zip file.  If you have multiple tracks or routes they will each be within their own GPX file.  Naming of GPX files is self evident hopefully.

« Reply #80 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:07:10 pm »
I'm now getting "undefined0" appended to downloaded file names, but the contents appear to be OK. Just an FYI.

Phil W

« Reply #81 on: 17 June, 2019, 11:12:18 pm »
I'm now getting "undefined0" appended to downloaded file names, but the contents appear to be OK. Just an FYI.

Ah, I half started making some changes with the GPX file names then changed my mind. Probably left a bit of that in for certain actions. That won't affect contents. Will sort tomorrow.

Phil W

« Reply #82 on: 18 June, 2019, 12:36:36 pm »
Sorted

el

« Reply #83 on: 01 November, 2019, 06:09:17 pm »
Hi- I'm new to this forum.
Do I understand correctly that if I put gpx files through this website to be made smaller, my Garmin 800 will no longer crash leaving me to rely on my paper cue sheets or other participants?

Phil W

« Reply #84 on: 01 November, 2019, 08:14:25 pm »
Do I understand correctly that if I put gpx files through this website to be made smaller, my Garmin 800 will no longer crash leaving me to rely on my paper cue sheets or other participants?

No guarantees about the quirks of your Garmin Edge 800 but it'll certainly reduce the frequency / likelihood of it crashing when navigating the GPX. Note it slims GPX tracks only, not GPX  routes which are a different beast.

« Reply #85 on: 01 November, 2019, 09:37:46 pm »

No guarantees about the quirks of your Garmin Edge 800 but it'll certainly reduce the frequency / likelihood of it crashing when navigating the GPX. Note it slims GPX tracks only, not GPX  routes which are a different beast.
They aren't much different at all I don't think if you use point to point navigation, riding between marks of the turns.

I slim down GPX tracks/routes semi manually for use on an etrex.
Get gpsies.com to reduce the points automatically if needed (not really needed with my own routes from cycletravel as they only mark turns to begin with) then fine tune on the gpsies map, then semi automatically strip stuff out using a simple text editor.
There's an awful lot of not needed junk in most gpx files.

« Reply #86 on: 01 November, 2019, 09:46:59 pm »

I believe the only way to stop a Garmin Edge of that era crashing is the War Games solution.

« Reply #87 on: 23 August, 2021, 09:59:06 am »
Hi Phil,

Just wanted to say that I just came across this thread and your webpage and just wanted to say thanks.  I've been adding some GPX files to my blog using a great new free mapping tool/Wordpress plugin from the OS.  My GPX files were all a bit large though so I've been compressing them down using your tool just using 1m accuracy and its worked a treat. For instance the GPX file that I had on page https://www.richmay.co.uk/apn4/ has gone from 22Mb to 500Kb without losing any accuracy on the mapping page and making loading time of the page much better.

Cheers
Rich

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #88 on: 23 August, 2021, 10:42:22 am »
22Mb  :o ???

« Reply #89 on: 05 September, 2021, 01:40:14 pm »
I leave it at default 10m accuracy for my audax rides. I doubt you’d tell difference with that either. You’d have to be zoomed right in so that 10m was represented by multiple pixels on a screen.  Even then you are down to just not showing a perfect curve round a mini roundabout.  Which is seriously zoomed in.  Possible on computer screen but on much smaller GPS screen not very likely.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #90 on: 17 November, 2021, 09:18:00 am »
Normally works great but this morning I am getting "Internal Server Error".
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #91 on: 17 November, 2021, 02:39:42 pm »
Just tried it and it’s working fine with the GPX I just tried.  The hosting is free so don’t know if they had problems this morning.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #92 on: 17 November, 2021, 03:14:59 pm »
May explain the issue; anyway now working here too. Thanks Phil.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #93 on: 17 November, 2021, 06:26:22 pm »
Heroku on which it runs is something called platform as a service.  This means I don’t have anything to do with the servers or their settings.  I just load my code to a git repository when I have updates and their platform does the magic to deploy it.  I can see the logs but seeing as my code is fairly static, not changing all that often, any problems are likely their end.

It’s a free service at the level I use it but Salesforce have bought Heroku. So we will see how long that lasts. I’ll only keep it up there whilst it’s free. I might experiment turning it into a desktop app over the winter. Maybe.  My enthusiasm for coding stuff waxes and wanes.

« Reply #94 on: 25 April, 2022, 03:42:41 pm »
Have added two new features and amended proximity alarms in latest release.

Join Tracklogs

You can now join tracklogs together by simply selecting multiple GPX files containing tracklogs.  It does the rest by looking at the start timestamps of each tracklog segment, and sequencing them in chronological order.  Tracklog segments are kept intact and a single GPX tracklog is returned in a zipped file. The GPX and zip files are named according to the earliest timestamp found.  None of the simplification steps are applied during this operation.  You'd need to load up the resulting single tracklog in a second step to apply simplification to it, to reduce its size etc, if an online service objects to overly large tracklog files.

Something I'll be using myself on my 400km audax next month, where I normally auto split tracklogs at midnight, and rejoin them after the event.

Distance Based Waypoint Alarms

You can now add distance based waypoints with proximity alarms for supplied tracks.   The waypoints occur at your specified distance interval, with the prefix you choose, with a suffix that indicates the distance the waypoint occurs at. I give them the red pin 📍 symbol which is recognised by Garmin software but may not be recognised by other software.

Proximity Alarm Radius

You can now set the proximity alarm radius (for existing waypoints) to 25m after  a request for that option.

Under The Covers

I've now changed it to run in a Docker container as Heroku's version of NodeJS was getting long in the tooth.  Now runs on Alpine Linux 3.15.1 and NodeJS 17. Also more easily moved should I need to move away from Heroku.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #95 on: 25 April, 2022, 04:20:23 pm »
Nice idea with the joining tracklogs.  :thumbsup:

I've done this manually in a text editor, but letting a machine do it for me sounds like a good way to eliminate the potential for human error.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #96 on: 28 April, 2022, 07:03:59 am »
Phil,

Thank you for updating the waypoint alarm to 25 m at my  request  - Will be testing the result on Deans  'Highland  Fling' 1000K

It’s a free service at the level I use it but Salesforce have bought Heroku. So we will see how long that lasts. I’ll only keep it up there whilst it’s free. I might experiment turning it into a desktop app over the winter. Maybe.  My enthusiasm for coding stuff waxes and wanes.

I do like it the way it is  - machine agnostic. Ues it lots. If it started to cost I would be happy to part fund..

« Reply #97 on: 28 April, 2022, 10:12:53 am »
The free package hasn’t changed so far, and simple-gpx and its use case fits easily within the specifications and terms and conditions of free.  Hopefully there’s enough income from the paid Heroku packages that they keep the free option ticking along.

Good luck with Highland Fling 1000 this weekend.

« Reply #98 on: 04 May, 2022, 02:55:10 pm »
Thank you for updating the waypoint alarm to 25 m at my  request  - Will be testing the result on Deans  'Highland  Fling' 1000K

I see you finished, how did the 25m proximity alarms work out?

« Reply #99 on: 23 May, 2022, 06:23:57 am »
Better late reply than never, the ride was good  alarms not so good I am going to have to do some work optimising waypoint locations in rwgps for my etrex.