Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256020 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #2200 on: 11 August, 2020, 03:41:34 pm »
Yes, I remember that.  It has the same ring as Catty Lennon's jibe about Ringo, "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

As with so many tales like this, it's almost certainly not true:

Did John Lennon Say 'Ringo Wasn’t Even the Best Drummer in the Beatles'?

Bobb, I'm very relieved by that.  I've always thought Ringo a terrific drummer ( I think he is a leftie who plays the kit set up orthodoxly?).  And while I'm sure John was capable of such a remark, his voice is my favourite in The Beatles, though I'm of the opinion that The Beatles are a thing, rather than four separate individuals.

Very happy to be relieved of that burden!

Glad to be of service. Here, have a picture of Lennon playing a forward defensive :)

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2201 on: 11 August, 2020, 04:07:45 pm »
I may have put this before but in my playing days I was alright as a bowler and sometimes batted as high as 9 if we were short of a full 11.

Playing one match the wicket keeper was coaching me on stance and batting but as soon as the bowler came in he started sledging me

Took a fast one on the thigh for which his comment of "that'll hurt come the winter" was met by my reply "it f ing hurts now".

« Reply #2202 on: 11 August, 2020, 04:15:04 pm »
Cheers, Bobb;from "How I Won The War", I imagine.  Big gate there and late on the stroke - stumps appear to have been shattered some time ago!  It's a lovely, almost innocent photo, isn't it?

Sorry, I think I mean "Oh, What A Lovely War!"

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2203 on: 12 August, 2020, 09:59:31 am »
Back to 2020 for a moment (the year. not the format). I have just read that Essex's victory over Surrey yesterday is their 10th consecutive first class win at Chelmsford, and their 15th consecutive win in all forms of cricket. Simon Harmer took 14-131 over the two innings. I have read that his future in English cricket seems to be in doubt after the ECB changed its rules after Brexit - he's South African.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2204 on: 12 August, 2020, 02:01:28 pm »
Most of them are!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2205 on: 18 August, 2020, 04:06:41 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2206 on: 18 August, 2020, 09:42:59 pm »
That was a very good run chase from Essex. Pretty tight at the end. That Dan Lawrence looks like a promising batsman.

« Reply #2207 on: 21 August, 2020, 07:06:30 pm »
Good partnership...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2208 on: 22 August, 2020, 01:34:22 pm »
Ton.   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2209 on: 22 August, 2020, 02:32:08 pm »
England are doing rather well...

« Reply #2210 on: 22 August, 2020, 08:55:08 pm »
Whatever way you look at it, amidst a rather odd environment to play cricket [or lack of it].......it's terrific stuff.
Garry Broad

« Reply #2211 on: 23 August, 2020, 07:22:22 pm »
Let's hope the weather holds up. It doesn't look great. And let's also hope that Jimmy can get the couple of wickets he needs to get to 600. He might not get another chance...

« Reply #2212 on: 23 August, 2020, 10:31:25 pm »
That catch by Josh Buttler.  :thumbsup:   

« Reply #2213 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:19:28 am »
That catch by Josh Buttler.  :thumbsup:   

Not bad for a rubbish keeper, eh?  :P

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2214 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:29:27 am »
His drop off Anderson's bowling this morning was just right for a rubbish keeper.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2215 on: 24 August, 2020, 12:31:38 pm »
Probably not a significant indication bearing in mind the whole team's dropped catches record over the last day or so...   ;)   Can't say I'd like to drop a Jimmy-almost-at-600 catch.  That broad drop & throw for run out...  :o

edit

« Reply #2216 on: 25 August, 2020, 04:38:13 pm »
Jimmy 600.  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2217 on: 25 August, 2020, 04:49:45 pm »
He is smiling now!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2218 on: 25 August, 2020, 05:02:09 pm »
I thought I was at the match where he took his first.

Well, I was, but I went on the Saturday of the Zimbabwe test in 2003 at Lord's and he took his first England wicket near the end of the final session on Friday. So I did see his second, third, fourth and fifth England wickets.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2219 on: 07 September, 2020, 08:25:13 pm »
The Bob Willis Trophy carries on in its unruffled way. The Graun's "live" reporter seems to fancy himself as a lyricist:-

Derbyshire’s hopes of making the final of the Bob Willis Trophy rested on broken glass after a spectacular collapse at the hands of Lancashire’s young team of talented springer spaniels, all muddy trousers and excited yelps.

Danny Lamb took three wickets on his 25th birthday while George Balderson, only 19, whose fluid run-up would make a ballerina drool, grabbed three more.

Not in Neville Cardus's league.

Meanwhile

Kent may rue their six dropped catches in an afternoon

As was once uttered many moons ago, I forget by which disgruntled bowler, "there's a hepidemic goin' on 'ere, and it ain't catching".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2220 on: 10 September, 2020, 12:51:06 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/54088306

Essex v Somerset in the Bob Willis Trophy final - a bit like old times! Yorkshire complained about the weather, which generally favours southern counties anyway, but I would suggest more than ever this late in the year. Essex and Somerset start a 5-day match at Lords on 23rd September, the same date that they started their nigh-on washed out County Championship decider last year. I think it's bloody silly playing first class cricket after the autumnal equinox.

« Reply #2221 on: 10 September, 2020, 02:56:33 pm »
Force majeur, n'est pas?  Covid has pushed everything out of time.  Maybe the organisers have made it a five day match to allow for interruptions from the weather to a game that would normally be decided in three days in Somerset's favour?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2222 on: 10 September, 2020, 03:00:42 pm »
Force majeur, n'est pas?  Covid has pushed everything out of time.  Maybe the organisers have made it a five day match to allow for interruptions from the weather to a game that would normally be decided in three days in Somerset's favour?

For the past few years, first class games have been scheduled past mid-September, which previously they never were. It's to make way for the games of rounders that they play these days.

« Reply #2223 on: 10 September, 2020, 03:20:01 pm »
That makes sense.  My wife refers to the short games as "men in baby-gros"!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2224 on: 10 September, 2020, 03:24:53 pm »
I'm wondering when the last time was that a county match was scheduled over 5 days. They were always 3-day games when I were a lad, and teh 100-over limit for first innings did tend to cramp some counties' styles. I remember a match in (I think) 1975, in which Essex played Worcester, and Basil d'Oliveira and Imran Khan were playing for Worcester, in which Essex reached 499 in 100 overs. We all thought they had broken the record, but Hampshire (Barry Richards & Gordon Greenidge mainly, I suspect) scored over 500 on the same day.