Author Topic: 2012 Hero Family Tree  (Read 5194 times)

Re: 2012 Hero Family Tree
« Reply #25 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:49:21 am »
Both Chris Hoy and Jason Kenny referred to vomiting as being a regular result of their training programme. That's not to mention writhing around in pain as the lactic acid burns its way through your muscles.

Back in the day, I used to race kayaks.

Vomming after a race was considered normal.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #26 on: 08 August, 2012, 10:00:31 am »
I knew there was a damn good reason (as well as being rubbish at them) why I didn't like competitive sports. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #27 on: 08 August, 2012, 10:37:51 am »
Vomiting after running competitively was a regular treat, back in the days when I used to run.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 08 August, 2012, 10:53:55 am »
Quite a few top athletes vomit like clockwork before races. So I'm not convinced there's a simple correlation with effort level.

(trott is still great though - mainly for her pigtails :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 08 August, 2012, 11:17:15 am »
James Hunt used to vomit inside his helmet on the starting grid. So presumably that's stress rather than effort.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 08 August, 2012, 11:21:10 am »
I wondered whether the disappearance of the word "heroine" was as a result of its narcotics-related homophone.

I think it's cos it's just not really necessary to distinguish between male and female actors/heros...
I would have thought that acting was one of the few areas where it really is a valid and worthwhile distinction. However, I used to work with an actress a woman wot did acting (she had appeared in East Enders! but this was a completely non-acting job where I worked with her) and she called herself an actor, not an actress.

I think Laura Trott just became my hero after Charlotte's post...bloody hell.
If she's not related to Teethgrinder, she must be from Von Broad's family.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 08 August, 2012, 11:42:25 am »
I threw up in my motorbike helmet once after a night on the piss, and had to ride back from Sheffield to London with the smell lingering in my nostrils.

IME it's not a good idea to call a female actor an actress on set, luv, Eastenders or anywhere, as you'll likely be corrected at best, or receive dagger-looks of indignation at worst.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
2012 Hero Family Tree
« Reply #32 on: 08 August, 2012, 11:45:00 am »
I'd excuse Laura Trott, a good Essex gal, from not knowing that the word "hero" had a feminine. Sadly, a Grauniad journalist also made the same mistake the other day.

That's a house style thing, not a mistake. The Guardian don't use "actress" either.

(edit: basically, what everyone else said.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #33 on: 08 August, 2012, 12:25:23 pm »
I'd excuse Laura Trott, a good Essex gal...
Hasn't Ms Trott pointed out quite forcefully that she's from Hertfordshire (Cheshunt)?
Born in Harlow, apparently.

I think TheLurker refers to this.

« Reply #34 on: 08 August, 2012, 12:26:24 pm »
Laura Trott, btw is as hard as NAILS.  She suffers from a stomach condition that means she quite often has to throw up at the end of a stressful event.  She had a spoke go through her face in a road race crash earlier this year, used her chin as a braking surface and because she was in Belgium at the time and couldn't get to a doctor to remove the stitches, did it herself in front of a mirror. 

Wow. That's quite some story, I think I just became a fan.
Me too:

Wikipedia: "Trott was born a month prematurely in Harlow in Essex with a collapsed lung and was later diagnosed with asthma. She was recommended by doctors to take up sport to regulate her breathing."

« Reply #35 on: 08 August, 2012, 12:45:25 pm »
I'd excuse Laura Trott, a good Essex gal, from not knowing that the word "hero" had a feminine.
Though it shouldn't really, since it was originally gender-neutral, both as a noun & a name.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

2012 Hero Family Tree
« Reply #36 on: 08 August, 2012, 02:47:40 pm »
Wasn't the first Hero a woman? IIRC she chucked herself off a cliff after her boyfriend drowned while swimming at night to visit her.

d.

« Reply #37 on: 08 August, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »
Wasn't the first Hero a woman? IIRC she chucked herself off a cliff after her boyfriend drowned while swimming at night to visit her.

d.
That doesn't seem particularly heroic of her. More like an act of a despair.

Google just throws up a song by Enrique Iglésias when searching for 'original hero'. Though I haven't listened to it as I somehow doubt it's an intellectual discourse on Greek mythology a la BoJo, but I've heard 'hero' being bandied about left, right and centre today on the telly. Seems like everyone is everyone's hero to some degree in this big love-in called the lympix.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

citoyen

2012 Hero Family Tree
« Reply #38 on: 08 August, 2012, 05:50:39 pm »
That doesn't seem particularly heroic of her. More like an act of a despair.

The meaning of hero has changed somewhat over the years. ISTR the original meaning implied an element of personal sacrifice (ie death).

d.

« Reply #39 on: 08 August, 2012, 06:00:16 pm »
Absolutely. When people use it in the sporty sense they mean 'inspired by', but that lacks a sense of the dramatic. Proper old-school heroes were altruistic, selfless, warriors who were prone to dying a fair amount. VC medal winners - that sort of thing.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #40 on: 09 August, 2012, 10:02:38 pm »
The trouble with the word herione is that it brings to mind a pathetic character dressed in something effusive and corsetted, having an attack of the vapours or a fainting fit whilst waiting for a man to rescue her, after which he will kiss he passionately and they will live happily ever after.

The end.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #41 on: 13 August, 2012, 09:38:30 am »
So did the family tree get all the way back to Adam and Eve?
It is simpler than it looks.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #42 on: 13 August, 2012, 06:27:09 pm »
James Hunt used to vomit inside his helmet on the starting grid. So presumably that's stress rather than effort.

What, and then put it on ?