Author Topic: Olympic mountain biking  (Read 10891 times)

AndyK

Olympic mountain biking
« on: 11 August, 2012, 01:47:45 pm »
Good race so far. Seen most of these ladies out training over the last week. Even helped Katarina Nash with directions when she wasn't sure of the way through Shoebury Garrison.

Re: Olympic mountain biking
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »
A good race and a really good course for TV coverage.  Not as "authentic" as a course in the forest but at least everyone could see what was going on.  Hopefully Rio will be inspired by the course design.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2012, 02:09:27 pm »
Nice course and good racing.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »
I only saw sections of it, then the last 30 mins.  Chris Boardman said something about 29 inch wheels?  Anyone watching know what it was?  I thought mountain bikes all had 26 inch  wheels?

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2012, 02:16:23 pm »
I only saw sections of it, then the last 30 mins.  Chris Boardman said something about 29 inch wheels?  Anyone watching know what it was?  I thought mountain bikes all had 26 inch  wheels?
Refers to using a larger diameter wheel to help smooth out the course but at a cost of a slower speed.
CB also said that red paint was the heaviest colour and the other commentator replied it was the fastest.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2012, 03:28:28 pm »

29-inch wheels came out a few years ago, but as CB said, the jury is still out, as some riders prefer 26-inch wheels for their superior acceleration due to reduced rotating mass. Just to make things even more confusing, there is also the 650b wheel standard, or 27.5-inch diameter, which is an attempt to get the best of both worlds.

See also:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=61736.0
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/29er-mountain-bikes-the-truth-28684/
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/guide-to-650b-wheels-33937/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2012, 03:30:51 pm »
Fie on him for spreading the confusion of numbers. 29ers use 700c.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2012, 03:38:37 pm »
Roadies use 700c.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2012, 03:48:13 pm »
Fie on him for spreading the confusion of numbers. 29ers use 700c.

The term 700c is just as misleading as 29er, though. :)
The ERTO sizes is the only naming convention that makes any consistent sense! :)

« Reply #9 on: 11 August, 2012, 05:29:53 pm »
Ah, thanks all.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:01:14 pm »
CB also said that red paint was the heaviest colour and the other commentator replied it was the fastest.  ;D

... as it is. :thumbsup:

I just watched this on iPlayer, and I'm knackered just watching it!

(click to show/hide)
Actually, it is rocket science.

rr

« Reply #11 on: 11 August, 2012, 11:13:32 pm »
We went and are well knackered just walking around for a few hours, Beaten to the sermon on the mount jokes. Annie Last seemed to blow up around the 3nd lap.

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2012, 12:21:52 am »
26" is pretty meaningless, as there's more than one size called 26". Standard MTB rims are 559, which IIRC used to be used for beach cruisers in the USA.

29er rims are 622, aka 700C, the same as standard (for Europe, & the UK since we gave up 27"/630) road bike rims. They're called 29" to try to pretend they're different. Sheldonbrown.com calls 29" 'a marketing term'.  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2012, 11:00:15 am »
... 29er rims are 622, aks 700C, the same as standard (for Europe, & the UK since we gave up 27"/630) road bike rims. They're called 29" to try to pretend they're different. Sheldonbrown.com calls 29" 'a marketing term'.  :thumbsup:

29" is a bit of a marketing term, but it does tend to explicitly distinguish road and mounting bike wheels, since the latter will generally have wider rims.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2012, 11:45:47 am »
... 29er rims are 622, aks 700C, the same as standard (for Europe, & the UK since we gave up 27"/630) road bike rims. They're called 29" to try to pretend they're different. Sheldonbrown.com calls 29" 'a marketing term'.  :thumbsup:

29" is a bit of a marketing term, but it does tend to explicitly distinguish road and mounting bike wheels, since the latter will generally have wider rims.

Yet the latest road rims are getting wider for aerodynamic reasons! It's all gobbledygook, really. And it was interesting to see that many of the bikes had a single front ring and 11-speed dérailleurs (according to Boardman, who should know). And how many shunned 29s and stuck with conventional 26" wheels.

Great ride by Bresset!

« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2012, 12:27:25 pm »

Some rims sold for trekking/touring bikes have rims as wide as rims sold as 29". The original '29 inch' rims were just those wide (19 & 21) trekking/touring rims.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #16 on: 12 August, 2012, 01:46:56 pm »
Indeed, between bikes made exclusively for mountain biking and road racing, the rim differences are likely to be more obvious, but when you get into areas where the distinction is less obvious, like touring and cycle cross, then it's less clear.

The advantage, is that with slightly more consistent wheel sizing, 700C rims, and other components, are available in a wider variety of options, unless you want 26" bits!  (which of course may be the case for women, with generally smaller bikes and frames).

It is interesting that they are using a single chainring, although this seems to be more a function of the relatively short course, with no long uphill stretches, where more gears could be useful.  I guess aside from the weight savings of only a single chainring on the front, and so no changer, lever or cabling, the bike is also mechanically simpler, so less to go wrong, which is an advantage where there's only a very limited ability to deal with mechanicals.

« Reply #17 on: 12 August, 2012, 02:08:23 pm »
Curious that in the mens (I don't recall this being mentioned in the womens), at least one rider is using a 650B wheel, rather than 26" or 29" (aka 700C).

Chris Boardman made the comment that this was just indecision between choosing one of the other two sizes. ;D

« Reply #18 on: 12 August, 2012, 02:13:26 pm »
Amusing (and I'm easily amused :)), the helicopter was clearly flying backwards whilst filming the race.  You could see it's shadow, and I presume it was something to do with the position of the camera on the fuselage, that forced them to fly backwards (not that it makes a lot of difference, aside from visibility).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #19 on: 12 August, 2012, 02:18:58 pm »
Curious that in the mens (I don't recall this being mentioned in the womens), at least one rider is using a 650B wheel, rather than 26" or 29" (aka 700C).

Chris Boardman made the comment that this was just indecision between choosing one of the other two sizes. ;D
Or just riding whatever their sponsor tells them to ride.

« Reply #20 on: 12 August, 2012, 02:25:06 pm »
Amusing (and I'm easily amused :)), the helicopter was clearly flying backwards whilst filming the race.  You could see it's shadow, and I presume it was something to do with the position of the camera on the fuselage, that forced them to fly backwards (not that it makes a lot of difference, aside from visibility).

I often wonder how the multiple helicopters used at the Tour stay out of each other's way.  All visual preumably?

« Reply #21 on: 12 August, 2012, 02:38:24 pm »
LOL, commenting on Fontana going over a jump, with a little flick of the bike, "doing it with style", and suggesting this was the Italian flamboyance. :thumbsup:

« Reply #22 on: 12 August, 2012, 02:38:48 pm »
Indeed, between bikes made exclusively for mountain biking and road racing, the rim differences are likely to be more obvious, but when you get into areas where the distinction is less obvious, like touring and cycle cross, then it's less clear.

The advantage, is that with slightly more consistent wheel sizing, 700C rims, and other components, are available in a wider variety of options, unless you want 26" bits!  (which of course may be the case for women, with generally smaller bikes and frames).
Indeed: they're pretty much the two standard rim diameters now, with by far the best choice of tyres (though 559 road tyres are far fewer than 622 fat tyres). A bit of a pity, really. I think there's a strong argument for an intermediate size for small road bikes, & 650B (584) looks about right to me, but I'd be wary of recommending it to anyone because of the small choice of tyres.

The bad habit of shops advertising '650' tyres without distinguishing between 650A, B & C doesn't help.

« Reply #23 on: 12 August, 2012, 03:01:39 pm »
Whatever size wheels theyre riding , that was an enjoyable hard fought race!

« Reply #24 on: 12 August, 2012, 03:02:15 pm »
No saddle for the last few kms for the Italian  :o