Author Topic: Women's football  (Read 4014 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Women's football
« Reply #25 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:08:18 am »
I was under the impression that Aussies normally cared passionately who won.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:29:19 am »
And we have a winner.

Aussies generally aren't as monocultural as the British 'football or nothing' fan. There are lots of major sports in Oz. Amongst football codes alone there is Aussie rules, rugby, league and soccer without considering swimming, cricket, tennis, hockey, netball and so on. If a team is performing badly, support switches to other codes. Why would I/ spectators be interested in watching a form of sport that isn't particularly good and successful?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 21 February, 2014, 08:56:37 am »
I don't think there's much difference between your average Aussie sports fan and his or her British counterpart. I know plenty of people from the western suburbs who are die hard Parramatta Eels fans and wouldn't switch their allegiance to any other team even if they went to total shit. As for switching codes - nobody in NSW is going to start watching AFL just because their League team isn't doing well. There's no interest.

Oh! And what about the Rabbitohs!!? People didn't stop supporting them even when they got booted out and ceased to exist!! They fought long and hard, stayed loyal to their team and eventually got them back.

I think you're projecting your personal opinions on to an entire nation.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:05:16 am »
The Sydney Swans did quite well playing AFL, as did the Brisbane Bears. Neither regions are traditional AFL areas and their attendances increased as those of competing forms of football dropped.

« Reply #29 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:09:57 am »
The Sydney Swans did quite well playing AFL, as did the Brisbane Bears.

Yes, but they are the only AFL teams in those cities and have been around almost hundred years less than all the Victorian teams. They're completely manufactured teams - the equivalent to the London Broncos Rugby League team - nobody in London gives a shit about Rugby League other than exiled northerners...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:18:25 am »
And your point is what?

The Swans and the Bears were not traditionally-based teams, took audiences away from competing forms of football and their attendance fluctuates with their success. You say this doesn't happen with the Brits.  Sounds like you agree with my point that Aussies tend to follow winning teams regardless for code while Brits don't.

« Reply #31 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:29:42 am »
And your point is what?

The Swans and the Bears were not traditionally-based teams, took audiences away from competing forms of football and their attendance fluctuates with their success. You say this doesn't happen with the Brits.  Sounds like you agree with my point that Aussies tend to follow winning teams regardless for code while Brits don't.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. Well I am! But only in that:

Some British sports fans follow the team (in whatever sport - usually some code of football) that they have always supported through thick and thin.

Some Aussie sports fans follow the team (in whatever sport - usually some code of football) that they have always supported through thick and thin.

It is not uncommon for the more moronic British sports fan to follow who ever is winning.

It is not uncommon for the more moronic Australian sports fans to follow who ever is winning.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #32 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:32:32 am »

Why would I/ spectators be interested in watching a form of sport that isn't particularly good and successful?

Good question. I always wonder when the Winter Olympics come round where all these curling and skeleton fans materialise from.

Curling I kind of get because I've always quite enjoyed watching crown green bowling, but I find it hard to be impressed by the skeleton beyond boggling at the idea that they're hurtling down an ice run on a tea tray at 80mph. If it weren't for the clock telling me their times are different, I'd never know who the winner was. I'm far more impressed at watching pro cyclists hurtling down an alpine pass at similarly mental speeds, racing against other cyclists, with even less in the way of protective clothing.

But of course, most Brits only watch the curling and skeleton because we're quite good at those sports. I've always watched pro cycling despite a dearth of British talent (until recent years, obviously). Maybe I'm Australian!

Also, to get back slightly on topic, I'll be watching the Women's Tour with interest this year. Because I like the sport, whoever's competing. Even if they are gurls.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."