Author Topic: RIP Sir Bobby Charlton  (Read 3622 times)

RIP Sir Bobby Charlton
« on: 21 October, 2023, 04:11:09 pm »
What a great player and genuine nice man he was. Saw him play at Old Trafford (and Maine Road
against City) when I was growing up in Manchester.

Re: RIP Sir Bobby Charlton
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2023, 05:20:06 pm »
Well.......what can you say.
I think the name Bobby Charlton assumed a bigger status than the man himself - it reverberated not only around Old Trafford, and the England dressing room, but throughout the whole world.
One word: Icon
Everybody wanted to be Bobby Charlton at some stage in their lives  :)
RIP

edit: just listening to the radio, I wasn't aware he was a survivor of the Munich Air Disaster.
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2023, 05:58:19 pm »
One of the greatest of greats. W. Germany were terrified of him in the 1970 World Cup semifinal and it was Ramsay's worst mistake as manager that he substituted him with England 2 - 0 up. And that, of course was his last ever game for England.

Without googling, can anyone remember what I think was his only headed goal throughout his career? ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2023, 06:58:32 pm »
I'll be honest and say, "No"!

But I remember being in a Co-op brass band concert in St. Ockton-on-Tees when the 1966 semi-final against Portugal was being played.  Bobby scored 2 that day, one a classic "die if you get in the way" drive.  His brother Jack gave away a penalty, for which offence he would have missed the final in the later silliness that football became.  You couldn't hear the band for the noise from next door when the goals went in.

Returning to the header - I still can't recall it, but it's sad that both brothers suffered from dementia in later life.  Jack spent his whole career heading wet, heavy footballs (it always rains in Leeds) and opposing forwards.

RIP Bobby Charlton - so much respect from all over the world.

A small "coincidence" that on the day of Bobby's passing his home town team, Newcastle Arabia, won 4-0, with all goals and assists from English players.  Echoes of 66 and hopes to come!

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #4 on: 21 October, 2023, 07:57:24 pm »
Met Sir Bobby Charlton at Dalmahoy around 2003

Got chatting to him at the bar and we got talking football, where he was intent on asking if Id played, what position, most enjoyable games etc.  Of course I blathered on about a few minor baubles. 

He would have been within his rights to bugger off to join the party he was with but we stood chatting for a good 10 minutes.  I walked away feeling like I was the World Cup winner not him.

A true gent and not a hint of ego.  A true superstar.  RIP.   

« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2023, 07:59:58 pm »
Lovely story, John.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2023, 10:20:07 pm »
The only headed goal I recall of his was the first goal in the European Cup Final v Benfica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZ9EVFJRZk&ab_channel=BritishPath%C3%A9

2m 50s in.

« Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2023, 11:54:53 pm »
Of course!  I really should have got that because I certainly remember the occasion.  I watched the match in Newcastle on a pretty poor black and white tele.  Then I ran across town (it was late by then) to meet my really new girlfriend.  I was pulled up by a bobby (obviously not that one) who wanted to know why I was running.  I explained that Manchester United (there was no ManU then) had just won the European Cup and I was off to meet my girlfriend.  This satisfied him and I completed my run.  Sadly, Bobby is no more - but my new girlfriend and I are still together!

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2023, 10:12:26 am »
This story also came to mind this morning - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JOCVXpQe_U

« Reply #9 on: 22 October, 2023, 10:38:23 am »

A small "coincidence" that on the day of Bobby's passing his home town team, Newcastle Arabia, won 4-0, with all goals and assists from English players.  Echoes of 66 and hopes to come!

Shame you have to turn a tribute thread into a political attack on ownership of another club that has no connection with Sir Bobby Charlton, who never played for Newcastle UNITED nor was it his hometown club.

If you bothered to get your facts right, instead of making snide political digs, you would know that Sir Bobby Charlton was born and bred in Ashington. A separate town miles away from Newcastle

« Reply #10 on: 22 October, 2023, 11:18:44 am »
One of the greatest of greats. W. Germany were terrified of him in the 1970 World Cup semifinal and it was Ramsay's worst mistake as manager that he substituted him with England 2 - 0 up.
According to today's Observer, the score when the substitution was made was 2-1 and your understanding is a 'popular myth'.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 22 October, 2023, 11:54:07 am »
If I read the same article as you did, the "popular myth" was that Charlton's job was to mark Beckenbauer.

A popular myth sprang up that had Charlton been left on the pitch to look after Franz Beckenbauer,

Franz Beckenbauer pulled the Germans back into the game with a shot that Bonetti would have saved nine times out of ten. Sir Alf Ramsey immediately sent on Colin Bell as substitute for Bobby Charlton, who was being saved for a semi-final that never came England's way.

From http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1960-70/1969-70/M0448WGr1970.html

OK, so it was the first goal that precipitated the substitution.

« Reply #12 on: 22 October, 2023, 11:55:54 am »

Shame you have to turn a tribute thread into a political attack on ownership of another club that has no connection with Sir Bobby Charlton, who never played for Newcastle UNITED nor was it his hometown club.

If you bothered to get your facts right, instead of making snide political digs, you would know that Sir Bobby Charlton was born and bred in Ashington. A separate town miles away from Newcastle

As a lawyer, you should note the following:-

1.  I haven't "turned the thread" into anything.  It remains a tribute thread to Sir Bobby Charlton - as ALL the posts will demonstrate.
2.  I made a heartfelt reference to his membership of the best team full of Englishmen there has been and implied that Newcastle seemed to be heading in what I consider to be the right direction for English Football by fielding so many English Nationals, thereby giving hope to English players.
3.  The above was expressed in two sentences in a post that was much longer.  There were other posts expressing my obvious admiration for Bobby Charlton.
4.  If you think saying Newcastle Arabia is a snide political dig, then perhaps you should get out more.  Yes, I despise the new owners (I am a member of Amnesty International) but I never said that - it could just have been a reference to the wealth.   United have recently also been known as Newcastle Saint Germain - and much worse, in recent years.
5.  I am from the North-East, where even a dog knows all the Charltons and Milburns were from Ashington.  Newcastle is the nearest town with a professional team.

I don't think there was any need for your response, though I defend to my dismemberment your right to say it.  Shake hands and let's have a pint some time (though probably not in Saudi Arabia!).

« Reply #13 on: 22 October, 2023, 11:58:28 am »
One of the greatest of greats. W. Germany were terrified of him in the 1970 World Cup semifinal and it was Ramsay's worst mistake as manager that he substituted him with England 2 - 0 up.
According to today's Observer, the score when the substitution was made was 2-1 and your understanding is a 'popular myth'.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. I was 10.....I cried at the end  :)
Not sure I ever really got over it. ;D
And we don't talk about goalkeepers and FoodPoisoningGate.....no, no....NO!! [GB never believed any of that btw]
"Of all the players to lose, we had to lose him"...Alf Ramsey.

That World Cup was really incredible - the heat was so intense during the games the pace of football was almost walking at times, the grainy imagery of the satellite broadcast, the crackily commentory of David Coleman coming from what really did seem like another world.

And this picture just says so much about that period - one of my favourite all time photographs.....the England players relaxing before the Brazil game.
Must admit to be struggling a bit with some of the players apart from Banksy, Lee, Charlton.......and I think GB is talking to Geoff Astle? Not sure. And I think that's Emlyn Hughes sitting between Charlton and Lee......but not sure who the bloke is bottom left?
A bygone era. We train.....then we relax....smoke a few and play cards. Classic. There is a distinct lack of rehydrating fluids on the table though!
Garry Broad

« Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2023, 12:11:02 pm »
Garry, I think Gordon Banks may be talking to Colin Bell, rather than Jeff Astle.  I think you are right about Emlyn Hughes.  Nice to think about Lee and Hunter in such proximity!

« Reply #15 on: 22 October, 2023, 12:35:17 pm »
Garry, I think Gordon Banks may be talking to Colin Bell, rather than Jeff Astle.
You reckon? Not sure myself....
Nice to think about Lee and Hunter in such proximity!
You think that's Norman Hunter sitting next to Frances Lee? Could be, I can see those 1970 side burns in evidence.......
[Small side fact....Norman Hunter was on the bench in 66. Not a lot of people know that!!]

Anyway, coming back to Bobby Charlton......I could look it up if I was so inclined, but I doubt he played that many more games for England after that World Cup.
Garry Broad

« Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2023, 12:40:18 pm »
Not sure if it's Norman Hunter in the picture (it may be) - just know he was in the squad.  Also not sure about Colin Bell but if you look him up in images and ignore the many hair-styles on offer, you can see the correct nose and mouth, I think.  And I think Jeff was brown-haired.  Whatever, it's a fabulous picture!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 22 October, 2023, 12:48:12 pm »
Charlton's last game was that 1970 game against W. Germany

« Reply #18 on: 22 October, 2023, 01:44:16 pm »

As a lawyer, you should note the following:-

1.  I haven't "turned the thread" into anything.  It remains a tribute thread to Sir Bobby Charlton - as ALL the posts will demonstrate.
2.  I made a heartfelt reference to his membership of the best team full of Englishmen there has been and implied that Newcastle seemed to be heading in what I consider to be the right direction for English Football by fielding so many English Nationals, thereby giving hope to English players.
3.  The above was expressed in two sentences in a post that was much longer.  There were other posts expressing my obvious admiration for Bobby Charlton.
4.  If you think saying Newcastle Arabia is a snide political dig, then perhaps you should get out more.  Yes, I despise the new owners (I am a member of Amnesty International) but I never said that - it could just have been a reference to the wealth.   United have recently also been known as Newcastle Saint Germain - and much worse, in recent years.
5.  I am from the North-East, where even a dog knows all the Charltons and Milburns were from Ashington.  Newcastle is the nearest town with a professional team.

I don't think there was any need for your response, though I defend to my dismemberment your right to say it.  Shake hands and let's have a pint some time (though probably not in Saudi Arabia!).

So much nonsense

Ashington have a professional football team. As does Blyth, Morpeth, North Shields etc all far closer to Charlton's birth place than Newcastle which quite simply is not his hometown and is not a place that he is connected to. However to get your political dig in at Newcastle you gave to defend your lie that Sir Bobby Charlton was born in Newcastle.

There is no relevance to the life and death of Sir Bobby Charlton and the ownership of Newcastle United. It's sad that you are peddling politics on a thread that is meant to be a tribute to Sir Bobby Charlton

Now you are bringing in Amnesty International - again they have nothing to do with Sir Bobby Charlton. It is irrelevant whether you are a member of Amnesty International or a member of the Tufty Club in a thread about Sir Bobby Charlton who was possibly the greatest English footballer.

The fact you made comments in tribute to Sir Bobbi Charlton does not give you carte blanche to make irrelevant political points in a tribute to Bobby Charlton

Sir Bobby Charlton was not from Newcastle and had no connection with the ownership of Newcastle United.

Take your political views to the politics thread

« Reply #19 on: 22 October, 2023, 01:48:56 pm »
I accept your olive branch and send you my very best wishes.

(In other news, Ashington FC reached the semifinal of the FA AMATEUR Cup in the early 70s, some time after the Charltons had moved out)

« Reply #20 on: 22 October, 2023, 03:59:11 pm »
Garry, I think Gordon Banks may be talking to Colin Bell, rather than Jeff Astle.  I think you are right about Emlyn Hughes.  Nice to think about Lee and Hunter in such proximity!
Gordon Banks is talking to Keith Newton in that picture (Not Colin Bell).

Left-to-right: Jeff Astle, Gordon Banks, Keith Newton, Francis Lee, Tommy Wright, (Not Emlyn Hughes), Bobby Charlton, ? , ?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21 on: 22 October, 2023, 04:08:53 pm »
Great spirit. RIP
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22 on: 22 October, 2023, 04:20:08 pm »
Gordon Banks is talking to Keith Newton in that picture (Not Colin Bell).

Left-to-right: Jeff Astle, Gordon Banks, Keith Newton, Francis Lee, Tommy Wright, (Not Emlyn Hughes), Bobby Charlton, ? , ?

Thanks, De Sisti!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 22 October, 2023, 04:21:53 pm »
I was going to say, wasn't Emlyn Hughes a generation later than the 1966 crowd?

Checks: no, he wasn't.

« Reply #24 on: 22 October, 2023, 04:33:19 pm »
Wow, the picture is of the "1970 crowd".