Author Topic: Mad Science course  (Read 2937 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Mad Science course
« on: 20 November, 2012, 09:27:52 pm »
Does anyone know anything about these?
http://www.madscience.org/locations/southwales/afterschool.aspx?sm=14785

Little Cudzo told me that yesterday in assembly a "mad scientist" demonstrated an experiment to them (dipped a sheet of paper in some chemical which she then lit, with a volunteer holding it, and the stuff burnt leaving the paper untouched - at least I think that's what happened!). Today he came home with a "registration form" for six one-hour lessons after school, starting in January, "for a special discounted rate of £45". They'll cover stuff like "slime time", "instantaneous reactions", the properties of light and things that glow in the dark, and glue, bonds and sticky stuff. He wants to do it, which is great. It's hard to get him to say what they do in science at school (but then it's hard to get much about any lessons out of him or any of his friends) so if he's interested in this, great. But I wonder if anyone has any experience/knowledge/sound advice/crazy prejudicial opinions? Ta!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
Re: Mad Science course
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2012, 12:37:43 pm »
My friend's mum became one of their "mad scientists" in the midlands area a couple of years ago, so I've seen quite a few of the demonstrations. Was doing A-level chemistry at the time and so was my friend  ;D so they had a tendency to turn into heated discussions.

I guess you could get a chemistry set for the same price?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2012, 12:41:32 pm »
Quite likely could, I've no idea how much a chemistry set costs. But the question then would be doing fun and educational things with it rather than just mucking around with it a few times and then leaving it mouldering in a cupboard.

PS. Welcome back, long time no see!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2012, 02:55:38 pm »
Modern chemistry sets are rubbish, though.

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2012, 03:17:02 pm »
All the interesting chemicals are now controlled, though you could probably still repeat the kitchen decoration my father achieved as a child.

Heating copper sulphate in a testube with a bung, bung eventually pops out under the pressure of the boilling CuSO4, ... Blue stain on the ceiling.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2012, 03:18:40 pm »
Modern chemistry sets are rubbish, though.

Sadly very true.  I still want one of these:

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/atomictoys/GilbertU238Lab.htm
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2012, 05:16:53 pm »
Mrs Jules (Ph.D Chemistry, Imperial) runs an after school science club for 10-12 yo's at our local primary - not a commercial concern - just a couple of quid a session to cover materials. She was annoyed that kids didn't do hands-on science at primary school. I think she got a chemistry set for her 7th birthday

The kids do real dangerous (toxic chemicals,  laboratory glassware, naked flames) but fully risk assessed science - hands-on. They evaluate, log and report on what they have found like real scientists. It's not all chemistry BTW ;D

I'm sure she would be happy to share her experiences on this to anyone who would like to PM
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:43:38 pm »
Would Mrs Jules like to move to Bristol?  :D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2012, 09:31:10 pm »
we do hands on stuff for S1/S2 at the Uni. Most of the 'couple of quid a time' ones are run by volunteers. Having properly risk assessed stuff with the potential to go wrong is a good thing. Children are not exposed to enough properly managed risk these days.

Then again, growing up in an engineering household that was being rebuilt around me was quite an education (ever lit a barbecue with an oxygen cylinder :) )
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2013, 11:37:12 am »
Does anyone know anything about these?
[...]
But I wonder if anyone has any experience/knowledge/sound advice/crazy prejudicial opinions? Ta!

I used to work for them (different region) before I became a secret agent.
Can vouch for the staff taking an active interest in thoroughly testing all equipment in between school sessions.

I miss regularly having a Van der Graaf generator, candy floss machine, box of dry ice and a leaf blower in the house...