Author Topic: What might a 3 year old enjoy in London?  (Read 6464 times)

What might a 3 year old enjoy in London?
« on: 31 March, 2013, 02:54:07 pm »
She likes princesses and fairies, although not exclusively.

Any thoughts?

Re: What might a 3 year old enjoy in London?
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2013, 02:55:38 pm »
Hamleys :demon:
"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2013, 03:20:05 pm »
Science museum bubble show.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2013, 03:28:24 pm »
Golders Hill Park. Animals and ice cream.

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2013, 03:53:11 pm »
The zoo? Actually, most three year olds would probably get just as much out of chasing pigeons in Regent's Park.

Natural History Museum Butterfly House: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/temporary-exhibitions/sensational-butterflies/

Time Out is the first stop for what's on for kids, how about Dogs Don't Do Ballet "Who couldn't enjoy a dog in a pink tutu dancing to Swan Lake? Ages 2-6. "
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2013, 03:56:12 pm »
Aquarium?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2013, 04:39:10 pm »
The zoo? Actually, most three year olds would probably get just as much out of chasing pigeons in Regent's Park.

Quite. that's why I suggested Golders Hill Park, which is free (even if the refreshments aren't) and has interesting animals and space to run about. It's not in the middle of town though.

« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2013, 05:46:10 pm »
Thank you, everybody, for your suggestions. What I was after really, was things that only London can offer.  So far, we've booked a go on the Eye, and I think we might go to London zoo.  That may well be enough for a two day trip, apart from a bit of walking about

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2013, 06:50:54 pm »
There's the cable car.
The Shard is rather pricy and not suitable for smalls.
She's a bit young for the Science Museum IMO but night like the Natural History.

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2013, 07:03:42 pm »
I didnt even realise there was a cable car in London.

I I'd known I'd have not booked the Eye!

« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2013, 07:18:49 pm »

My over-riding memory from when I was a chidler is of what I now assume is the exceedingly long tunnel between South Kensington tube station and all the museums my parents probably hoped I would remember :)

I went to the zoo once, when I was a bit older. There exists a photo of me inadvertently giving a one-fingered salute whilst stood next to Cheryl Baker...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2013, 07:20:24 pm »
I didnt even realise there was a cable car in London.

I I'd known I'd have not booked the Eye!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/23828.aspx

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2013, 07:47:29 pm »
Thanks!  Looks a bargain!

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2013, 07:56:00 pm »
Downstairs at the science museum always struck me as the most small-child friendly bit of South Kensington, when ours were small. We went there often, but I worked nearby.

Other "London" things:
Changing of the guard.
I gather kids like to splash about in Diana's fountain on a warm day.

But in my experience most three year olds will be happy with a park.

« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »
Surrey Docks Farm is a good hit if she'd like to get up close n' personal with the animals. Although I appreciate that might be a bit much for a 3yo.
It's free. Has a cafe, which I think is licensed, and a stonkingly contrasting view of Canary Wharf across the water.
Surrey Quays is your nearest tube.
Or arrive there using the Thames Clipper, disembarking at Greenland Dock pier.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2013, 08:48:34 pm »
The Light Show at the Hayward? Might be a bit 'old' for her.

It's very popular you'll need to book tickets.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2013, 09:30:32 pm »
My parents notoriously took me to London Zoo at around that age.  While all I really remember is being held up to look at bits of wood and rocks in glass tanks in a smelly darkened room, apparently my favourite thing was the hose they were using to wash out the elephant enclosure.

« Reply #17 on: 01 April, 2013, 10:24:49 am »
I'd second the Butterfly House at the NHM, though the staff there are a bit draconian compared to other butterfly houses, and threaten to expel you if you touch a butterfly (which was a bit rude, since it had landed on my hand).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #18 on: 01 April, 2013, 10:56:01 am »
She is highly likely to squish them  ;D

« Reply #19 on: 01 April, 2013, 09:56:54 pm »
Another vote for the play areas in the basement of the Science Museum and the bubble show. Mini GB loves it.

The grassy area next to the Eye (Jubilee Gardens) has been redone with big climbing frames, etc. Haven't taken Mini GB there yet so can't advise on suitability for a 3 year old who likes princesses.

Aquarium didn't really capture Mini GB's imagination but she was 2 when we took her there, and it was stiflingly hot in there.

Usually some stuff to do along the Southbank between the Eye and the National Theatre. Fairground rides and a big sandpit filled with multi-coloured sand last year. Often something bonkers at the back of the National Theatre; huge chairs covered in grass to sit in and have lunch.

Also quite often there are free things for kids going on in the Clore Ballroom in the Royal Festival Hall. Even if there isn't it can be a good place to get a coffee/snack and let the children run around in the big space.

Haven't been to London Zoo with MiniGB but we've been to Battersea Childrens Zoo which has a great play area once you've seen the animals (Mini GB utterly captivated by the meerkats).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #20 on: 01 April, 2013, 10:01:04 pm »
There's a city farm in Hackney that has animal petting and a good cafe attached

« Reply #21 on: 01 April, 2013, 10:23:40 pm »
London Transport Museum too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #22 on: 02 April, 2013, 01:32:18 pm »
Princess Diana playground in Kensington gardens.
Basement, bubble show and pattern pod of science museum (get there early). They have a terrace in the basement where you can eat sandwiches so you don't have to spend a fortune on lunch too.
Transport museum.
Battesea Park children's Zoo. Not many animals but plenty for a 3 year old and a great playground too.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 03 April, 2013, 10:35:12 am »
I took our to the Sicence Museum when they had lots of "hands on" stuff. Our younger son was about 3 at the time and I recall, in the Hologram area, picking him up and putting his head in a highly polished concave bowl on the wall for exactly that purpose. The reflections give you teh impression that a 3d version of you is emerging from the bowl to meet you.

It's highly likely that, having two older siblings to spark him off, he might well have enjoyed what was on offer more than yours, who is the oldest, but much of it was great fun.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2013, 02:52:05 pm »
I took our to the Sicence Museum when they had lots of "hands on" stuff. Our younger son was about 3 at the time and I recall, in the Hologram area, picking him up and putting his head in a highly polished concave bowl on the wall for exactly that purpose. The reflections give you teh impression that a 3d version of you is emerging from the bowl to meet you.

I foolishly stuck my head in that once, not knowing what it was.  As something appeared from the darkness to headbutt me, I instinctively threw myself to the ground.  This was deemed hilarious by those watching.