Author Topic: Hurrumph - What about us gurlz?  (Read 2597 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Hurrumph - What about us gurlz?
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:27:32 pm »
The usual mix of casual ignorance, unchecked assumptions, poor research, a smattering of quickly Googled facts and the occasional misinterpretation fail.  Yes, it's possible to wear "girly fabrics" on a bike, but anyone who does anything more than posing on a borrowed prop-bike like Kelly Brook or Elle Macpherson quickly learns that it's easier and more comfortable to wear cycle-specific kit.  I'm sure that Condor sell a helmet cheaper than £150, too.

I'm particularly loving this bit, though:

and velorution.biz has a Push pink bicycle bell, now a legal requirement

Presumably following the recent enactment of The Pink Cycling Accessories for Gurls Act 2010?

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:30:36 pm »

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:34:41 pm »
I was intrigued to read about "helmets disguised as hats"

So I googled for them, here's my favourite

Luzern cover - YAKKAY - brainwear for smart people

Manotea

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:37:09 pm »
I was intrigued to read about "helmets disguised as hats"

So I googled for them, here's my favourite

Luzern cover - YAKKAY - brainwear for smart people

Will not coverings cause problems if you come off, i.e., are not helmets supposed to slide along the groung as fall to reduce neck injuries? The fixing of head torches to helmets has always been a concern to me for this reason.

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:40:07 pm »
Hey, don't knock the pink accessories! I have a pink lock. It's just as good as the black version but was reduced to only 99p :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2010, 03:10:35 pm »
What a useful article!
Cyclodelic's reflective ankle cuffs are only £19 but come jewelled or studded

Will not coverings cause problems if you come off, i.e., are not helmets supposed to slide along the groung as fall to reduce neck injuries? The fixing of head torches to helmets has always been a concern to me for this reason.

Seems to me that a head-torch on the front of any headwear shouldn't cause problems - it's unlikely you'll slide down the road face-down.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »
Much as I wouldn't be seen dead with special pink stuff for girls, I'm loosely in favour of its existence because:

a) Some people actually *like* girly pink stuff.  If that means they're more likely to cycle or own a set of screwdrivers or whatever, then that's a good thing.

b) People are much less inclined to 'borrow' (or as boab suggests, buy) it.  This is especially useful in an environment like a theatre, where tools have a habit of wandering off.

The problem comes when things like clothing become only available in HUGE! or PINK!   >:(

As for the original article, it does at least recommend sensible bikes in amongst all the fashion guff.  Nothing like an inappropriate bike for putting people off.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2010, 03:20:28 pm »
Summary of article:
"It is possible to cycle in everyday clothes.  Here's some irrelevant ideas to fill in the rest of the article".
The bit they missed:
Only serious cyclists shave their legs.  If you do not wish to be mistaken for a serous cyclist then do not shave your legs.  After all, it only grows again anyway.   :P

Aside: I got gently ribbed when I went out with the CTC last time as I wasn't dressed like a cyclist*, and that someone remarkably similar to me had done a Very Long Ride last year.  I pointed out that 'proper cyclists did racing'n'stuff' not nice long rides/tours.   ;)
* I was, as generally, in jeans etc.

Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2010, 04:50:11 pm »
Summary of article:
"It is possible to cycle in everyday clothes.  Here's some irrelevant ideas to fill in the rest of the article. BUY THIS BOOK PLEASE".
FTFY
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Manotea

« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2010, 05:08:35 pm »
What a useful article!
Cyclodelic's reflective ankle cuffs are only £19 but come jewelled or studded

Seems to me that a head-torch on the front of any headwear shouldn't cause problems - it's unlikely you'll slide down the road face-down.
True, but they do go straight over the handlebars and land on their bonce in the general region of where a headtorch might be mounted when they get potholed at night.

Don't ask me how I know this.

« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2010, 07:15:27 pm »

The problem comes when things like clothing become only available in HUGE! or PINK!   >:(

As for the original article, it does at least recommend sensible bikes in amongst all the fashion guff.  Nothing like an inappropriate bike for putting people off.
Exactly. I am not really a pink sort of girl, but I find it useful to wear a pink helmet or jersey, particularly in London as a lot of drivers are less agressive if you are easily identified as a GURL. Even the most hardened cabbie was taught not to hit gurlz. ::-).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:33:30 pm »
*goes upstairs to nick Butterfly's pink jerseys and the sewing kit to let them out a bit* ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:34:19 pm »
My one head-banging crash while wearing a helmet (1994) involved facial collision with concrete. I don't remember sliding, but then I don't remember anything for a few minutes. I know there was a face/concrete interface moment because of the injuries (I can still find the scars if I look). The helmet was smashed - from the front.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:35:01 pm »

and velorution.biz has a Push pink bicycle bell, now a legal requirement

Presumably following the recent enactment of The Pink Cycling Accessories for Gurls Act 2010?

Doesn't actually mention that act.... I was worried how I was going to live with a pink bell on the trike!

.. as for helmets, I love the Nogin Sox covers, certainly different, and would gain attention.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:41:32 pm »
My one head-banging crash while wearing a helmet (1994) involved facial collision with concrete. I don't remember sliding, but then I don't remember anything for a few minutes. I know there was a face/concrete interface moment because of the injuries (I can still find the scars if I look). The helmet was smashed - from the front.

Sorry, but there's a lot going on in that story (glad you're ok!). What's your point?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 09 June, 2010, 09:44:58 pm »

Clearly not the sort of thing you want to be wearing during a zombie apocalypse, but that's brill.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 09 June, 2010, 09:59:36 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #18 on: 10 June, 2010, 01:53:25 pm »
I do have some pink jerseys and sparkly knee socks which I wear for pretty much the same reasons as Butterfly gives.  But I do find the tone of that article patronising - it suggests that the only thing keeping women from cycling is the absence of PINK, because of course women can only do anything at all if they can wear things that are pink or diamante.  ::-)