Author Topic: Safeguarding cycling rights of way - definitive map work  (Read 1327 times)

hertsaccessphil

Safeguarding cycling rights of way - definitive map work
« on: 03 February, 2012, 08:58:59 pm »
I spend some of my free time researching old routes to have them put back on the definitive map of rights of way as byways or bridleways.  What surprised me when I started was just how many routes in everyday use just aren't recorded on the definitive map of rights of way (and aren't clearly metalled roads that don't need to be recorded).  As any rights that existed before 1949 that aren't recorded by 2026 will be extinguished by statute, it seems to be more important than ever to make sure trails and paths that aren't part of the road network get recorded in time.

I do most of my access volunteering in the East of England (mostly Hertfordshire).  Just come to the top of the list (Hertfordshire has something of a backlog) is a route known as Dene Lane. I'm interested in the bridge from Aston Dene over Gresley Way to Stevenage.  I'd be keen to hear from those who have cycled over it, so I can get a user evidence form completed.

Further afield, if anyone in the region is using a route that isn't recorded and would like help, please let me know and I'll do my best!

Phil

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Safeguarding cycling rights of way - definitive map work
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:00:42 pm »
Interesting work, and I'm glad someone is out there doing it!  Sadly, I'm not familiar with the area you cover, but I wish you the best of luck in your task. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:36:26 pm »
I'm interested in the bridge from Aston Dene over Gresley Way to Stevenage.
On Dene Lane? That's used on the return route of the Stevenage Start of Summertime Specials by hundreds of cyclists at a time, each Spring.

Since the Stevenage CTC organise the event, I imagine that their riders also use it at other times. I'd start with them.

« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:11:04 pm »
If that is the one that runs at the back of the church yep!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:21:34 pm »
That would be the one. See route details in the link I gave.

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2012, 04:52:10 pm »
This sounds really useful work. Could you post a brief account of how you go about it? Others might like to copy in their own areas.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »
I was about to ask, but recumbentpanda has beaten me to it, are you doing this as part of a national campaign or just off your own bat locally? If it's national, where do we find info on who's doing it near us?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:12:37 pm »
Yes, +1 for me too.
It is simpler than it looks.