General Category > Audax

Gospel Pass - 600km from stevenage

(1/6) > >>

Wycombewheeler:
Excited about the gospel pass event tomorrow, hoping my form will be good enough to get me to the pass for sunset. It took me 15 hours to get from Chepstow to Menai Bridge two weeks ago, so  6:15 start + 15 hours gets me there just as the sun is setting - perfect. Although 300km events do usually take me longer than 15 hours, so we shall see. Forecast for tomorrow is ENE wind sunny and 22C which should assist getting to Chepstow in good time, but will make the return journey on Sunday tougher.

My first time riding over the pass towards Hay instead of away from Hay, discussion elsewhere suggests this descent is better due to better surface, although it is steeper. I enjoyed many miles of 2-3% downhill going towards Llanthony, but during covid times so there was not too much traffic on the narrow lane, and the surface was also better than it is now.

Good luck to those needing this as a qualifier.

Redlight:

--- Quote from: Wycombewheeler on 02 June, 2023, 10:19:24 am ---
My first time riding over the pass towards Hay instead of away from Hay, discussion elsewhere suggests this descent is better due to better surface, although it is steeper. 

--- End quote ---

I rode it around this time last year and the surface going up was awful. The descent, otoh, was very well surfaced (and wider) and I was able to barrel down. The views heading north are better too! Good luck.

Frank9755:
I'm sure this will be a good ride as Phil's other routes have been excellent.

You may bump into people on the University Challenge 600 at Chepstow, depending on timing.  I'm doing it on a tandem and won't be there until nighttime.

Lightning Phil:
My wife is less excited about being woken up early, for the second Saturday in a row.

Forecast wind direction looks similar to route check, though they are stronger, so perhaps a bigger push west, and more hindrance returning. Dry, and pretty much same temperatures as route check, which I felt was nice last weekend, if a little hot for me in afternoon.

The Cotswold climbs in the AAA section are mostly in the shade of the trees, which works well.

The Hay descent isn’t really steep until cattle grid.  It’s the ponies and sheep you need to keep an eye out for before that.   I’m also not sure it’s steeper than the Abergavenny side, as the climb from Capel-Y-Ffin to the cattle grid ramps up to about 18%.  But that’s not a long section of climb and the rest is pretty amenable.

grams:
What are you considering the start of the AAA section?

(The AUK calculator is suggesting fewer points than listed)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version