Author Topic: The Bah f***ing humbug, f***ing Christmas thread  (Read 20351 times)

Re: The Bah f***ing humbug, f***ing Christmas thread
« Reply #100 on: 29 December, 2020, 09:27:32 am »

It also has a ferret on the top...

MrsL.  Shall we put the ferret on the top?
* TheLurker . Ferret!?
MrsL.  *Fairy*! You deaf old bugger!

For a few years we had a ferry on top of ours according to our son.
This was about the time he insisted the fields had coal mines in them. Combines!

Anyway, back to this year.
It was the first time in living memory I didn't listen to the Kings College Christmas eve service on the wireless.
The highlight was seeing our daughter on boxing day (actually St Stephen's day, for the avoidance of doubt) in person for the first time since she went into hospital in the spring.
Other than that it's been a seriously poo time.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #101 on: 29 December, 2020, 11:52:27 am »
Fake tree assembled and lit on 24th. ~90% of baubles stayed in the carton. No prezzies. No effing bird to carve: every Xmas I say I want a goose and she says ooo fatty! so I had beef and she had... oh, some kind of fish thing that I kept upwind of. Watched Good Omens.

Best Christmas for years.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #102 on: 29 December, 2020, 06:50:28 pm »
This year we dug out MrsL's old (>=35) small ( <= 2') artificial tree cos we couldn't face the hassle of going out and trying to buy a real one.  It is strung with the home-brewed LED lights (festive red & green!) I put together for it almost as long ago and has a few of the small baubles hanging off it.  I think it looks really rather jolly.

* TheLurker . Ferret!?

Speaking of mustelids, as one so often does, our 'tree' has a badger 🦡

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #103 on: 29 December, 2020, 06:53:57 pm »
Hmmm, haven't heard Wham or Slade. Have tree with lights. Had pressies. No Christmas cake, but lots of other cake, no turkey. Just like any other Christmas in those respects...

Listened to Gideon Coe's All Christmas Pre-Christmas Christmas Show which featured the alluded to Slade song sung by the crowd at a summertime festival Slade gig (it does every year  :) ).

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #104 on: 29 December, 2020, 07:49:12 pm »
This year we dug out MrsL's old (>=35) small ( <= 2') artificial tree cos we couldn't face the hassle of going out and trying to buy a real one.  It is strung with the home-brewed LED lights (festive red & green!) I put together for it almost as long ago and has a few of the small baubles hanging off it.  I think it looks really rather jolly.

* TheLurker . Ferret!?

Surely your tree should have penguins on it?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #105 on: 29 December, 2020, 08:11:10 pm »

* TheLurker . Ferret!?

Or at least cats.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #106 on: 29 December, 2020, 08:23:47 pm »
Well I’m sorry to report that for once I have enjoyed and am enjoying Christmas!  Coronavirus has meant we were forced to stay at home, no travelling to visit relatives!  We’ve had some nice stuff to eat and drink but haven’t over done it. Our young person has behaved like a member of the human race. And I haven’t got bored as there’s been plenty to keep me occupied.
A belated Merry Christmas one and all, here’s hoping 2021 isn’t too dreadful.

(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #107 on: 29 December, 2020, 08:29:15 pm »
Was it wrong of me that I was painting these Christmas Minis from October till last week - and enjoying it???

Santa Hunter 01F - Nov 2020 (Scibor Minis) by Robert McPhillips, on Flickr

Dwarf Pilot 01F - Nov 2020 (Scibor Minis) by Robert McPhillips, on Flickr

Snowman Slayer 01F - Nov 2020 (Scibor Minis) by Robert McPhillips, on Flickr

Christmas Minis Group 01F - Nov 2020 by Robert McPhillips, on Flickr

Isn't that top one Andy Gates?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #108 on: 29 December, 2020, 09:53:08 pm »

* TheLurker . Ferret!?

Or at least cats.

We haz a cat (it pre dates the tree and other animals, but no penguins)
2020-12-29_09-47-48 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #109 on: 30 December, 2020, 01:31:04 am »
Well I’m sorry to report that for once I have enjoyed and am enjoying Christmas!  Coronavirus has meant we were forced to stay at home, no travelling to visit relatives!  We’ve had some nice stuff to eat and drink but haven’t over done it. Our young person has behaved like a member of the human race. And I haven’t got bored as there’s been plenty to keep me occupied.
A belated Merry Christmas one and all, here’s hoping 2021 isn’t too dreadful.

(click to show/hide)

:thumbsup:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #110 on: 30 December, 2020, 07:46:01 am »
I managed to completely avoid putting up a tree, or indeed any other Christmas paraphernalia. I did have the duty display of Christmas (and one birthday) cards above the fireplace, but removed them yesterday.

« Reply #111 on: 30 December, 2020, 11:23:16 pm »
From my teens to meeting Mrs E (and then Eminor) I usually found  Christmas dull at best.

However, one Christmas Day stands out. I soloed the North Ridge of Tryfan (usually an easy scramble) in a snowstorm. For lunch I had a Mars Bar and a flask of coffee. Brilliant!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #112 on: 31 December, 2020, 04:29:06 am »
I managed to completely avoid putting up a tree, or indeed any other Christmas paraphernalia. I did have the duty display of Christmas (and one birthday) cards above the fireplace, but removed them yesterday.

Shortly before Christmas I was on a group call with a bunch of colleagues discussing festive preparations. One colleague said they weren’t bothering with a tree or decorations and I came within a nanosecond of blurting out a request to temporarily move in with said colleague. This wouldn’t have been at all appropriate given I’m old enough to be the young lady’s dad and she lives on her own!

However TimC I can think of no issues with you so I’ll be on your doorstep Christmas Eve 2021 if that’s okay?  ;D

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #113 on: 31 December, 2020, 01:22:19 pm »
Hopefully both the campsite and the pub will be open, so sounds like a plan!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #114 on: 31 December, 2020, 02:11:29 pm »
Hopefully both the campsite and the pub will be open, so sounds like a plan!

;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #115 on: 01 December, 2023, 12:19:35 am »
In a spirit of goodwill, which I try to make lastvalk year, I thought I would bump this thread in case anyone needed it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #116 on: 01 December, 2023, 05:56:54 am »
We are sat outside the Brew on the Quay having a beer, they are playing Christmas songs. It's only the 1st of December.

Bah!
 >:(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #117 on: 01 December, 2023, 06:23:28 am »
I was in the office yesterday and the smart speaker was playing back to back festive tunes. All the decorations have been up for about a week. Here we go, roll on January…  ::-)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #118 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:43:15 am »
get ready for fairytale of new york on loop for the next 25 days  :demon:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #119 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:45:02 am »
We are sat outside the Brew on the Quay having a beer, they are playing Christmas songs. It's only the 1st of December.

Bah!

Is that the Brew on the Quay in Auckland by Britomart?   If it is then I'll check that out when we're staying at the Britomart Hotel next March . . . can't wait for the trip to start.

robgul

« Reply #120 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:47:08 am »
get ready for fairytale of new york on loop for the next 25 days  :demon:

I was surprised to hear the instrumental version on Classic on Wednesday morning

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #121 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:32:56 am »

Bah!

Is that the Brew on the Quay in Auckland by Britomart?   If it is then I'll check that out when we're staying at the Britomart Hotel next March . . . can't wait for the trip to start.

"Of all the hotels in all the world you had to walk into mine" - probably a slightly mangled quote, but we're staying there for a couple of nights in February!! There must be something about the offer that appeals to Brits.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #122 on: 01 December, 2023, 10:00:23 am »
a slightly mangled quote

Casablanca:

I saw this movie several times.It is said that it is a masterwork, so I tried to understand it.But I can't do it.It doesn't fit me.The main character Humphrey Bogard's voice is bad, and he's not just a dull father?

Germany is evil, America, France is good? Don't playfully! Don't impose a sense of value!

The serifs are too bad.I'm Not Brackets! So to speak, it's an old movie of the kotekote*.

As for Christmas, we are awaiting the latest from hospital from Mrs A's ex.  Also an ex-heavy-smoker.   

* kotekote: Japanese for a genre 'over the top', 'overdone', 'done to death' 'heavily traditional'

Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

« Reply #123 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:06:38 am »

Bah!

"Of all the hotels in all the world you had to walk into mine" - probably a slightly mangled quote, but we're staying there for a couple of nights in February!! There must be something about the offer that appeals to Brits.

Ah - we're there the last 4 nights of our trip on 14 March - shame you could have bought us a drink!  (The hotel was recommended by the people we've booked the whole trip with - 2nd time to NZ, doing the bits that were truncated last time in March 2020 when we had the trip cut short by 2 weeks because of the lockdown)

« Reply #124 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:17:32 am »
Be careful what you wish for, some people want to cancel Christ  mas