Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3904661 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24975 on: 26 December, 2021, 02:11:10 pm »
Yesterday.  Three of us for a 25 mile Bah Humbug ride down to Selsey.  Nice to ride on roads which normally would be way too stressful to consider riding on.  A bit of drizzle but safely back before the deluge.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #24976 on: 26 December, 2021, 06:02:10 pm »
A hilly ride through Stroud, Nailsworth, Tetbury, Cirencester, home. 51 and a bit miles.

« Reply #24977 on: 26 December, 2021, 06:52:56 pm »
A local 7 mile ride with apollo. Picked up a subways lunch enroute..every little helps  O:-)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24978 on: 27 December, 2021, 04:48:40 pm »
48k loop. An hour home and it started raining - most gratifying.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #24979 on: 29 December, 2021, 10:47:31 am »
Yesterday.  Three of us for a 25 mile Bah Humbug ride down to Selsey.  Nice to ride on roads which normally would be way too stressful to consider riding on.  A bit of drizzle but safely back before the deluge.

There was a campaign to provide a better cycle route to Selsey a while back, and the claim was that once the Medmerry works had been completed, that would provide an alternate cycleway.  Whilst it makes an entertaining gravel route in the summer, I don't normally venture that way, but with a caravan at Green Lawns, I simply put up with the B2145.  I was at one point tempted to get a cycle shirt with a statement on the back "I don't want to ride this road but I have to," or something similar.  If I do ride it when its busy I can pretty much guarantee that someone is going to overtake me in a manner that prompts a horn from oncoming traffic.

However, yesterday's ride did have its attractions, mostly tailwinds from Basingstoke to Shoreham, and the rain didn't get me truly soaked, and then the headwind bash across to Wittering proved that I still had it in my head and legs to tackle headwinds when tired, which I will need if I do get back to longer events after a couple of Covid-encouraged years off, then a final twilight sail back through Bracklesham and Highleigh to the caravan. 

Papa Johns were doing their usual wasteful, XXL pizzas are cheaper than L size ones but I was hungry enough to eat the lot.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #24980 on: 30 December, 2021, 11:38:41 am »
As per this, I have just been out for my first ride since 24th March 2020.
Only 8.9 km and 88m climbing, but good to be back, even in the drizzle.  :thumbsup:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24981 on: 30 December, 2021, 12:29:50 pm »
As per this, I have just been out for my first ride since 24th March 2020.
Only 8.9 km and 88m climbing, but good to be back, even in the drizzle.  :thumbsup:

Bon courage. Similar to my performance after 10 wks off w. heart problems in 2016.  Getting back was a crawl.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #24982 on: 30 December, 2021, 04:02:30 pm »
Not onna bike, but up a hill...

Aonach Eagach winter traverse with the boys.

The Aonach Eagach ridge is one of the iconic Scottish ridge walks, second only to the Cuilin ridge in Skye. Defining the north side of Glencoe, it is very narrow in places, and consists of a series of very exposed technical scrambles.
By summer, it is a committing exposed technical route, with fathomless drops either side. By winter, it is a rather more serious undertaking.

The initial ascent is uncompromisingly direct, a steep path to the first top of Am Bodach. It took just over an hour to gain the summit. We put on crampons at this point, as we were about to begin the traverse of the ridge. The conditions were typical Scottish Mixed snow, ice and rock. The rocks are all coated with a thin layer of ice, making for some treacherous sections of steep climbs and down-climbs.
The first of these technical sections presents itself very soon, a tricksy down-climb off Am Bodach onto the narrow part of the ridge.

The ridge is now a succession of very narrow and breathtakingly exposed climbs and down-climbs. The crampons and technical ice axes had their work cut out finding grip on the icy rock, but they performed admirably. The full traverse of the ridge to the final summit of Sgorr nam Fiannaidh took around 4 hours.
At one point the dull thud of helicopter rotors beating on the air could be heard somewhere in the murk below us, carefully tracing the line of the ridge some fifty metres below us. I hope it was just an exercise; there's a fair drop till the first bounce, as they say.

Around noon, the murk cleared to reveal a blue sky afternoon, with views in every direction.

The 'new' descent route avoiding the Clachaig Gulley path is a bit of a pain, leading you miles away from the Clachaig Inn, the destination for any sane climber. You are rewarded with a 3k march along the Old Glencoe road to finish off.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6439469050

Aonach Eagach by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #24983 on: 30 December, 2021, 06:32:08 pm »
Great day out, Feanor.  I think I did the Aonach Eagach in Feb 1996.  Looks like you had good conditions.

I rode back from the caravan in Selsey to Basingstoke taking a detour to Petworth and Hindhead to maximise use of tailwinds.  Was a very fine day out for this time of year.  It was so mild that I rode without gloves and was comfortable all the way.  The roads were filthy though, even if I'd mostly picked good roads.  It will be the last ride of the year, but looking forward to the Poor Student on New Year's Day to get the 2022 mileage off to a head start.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24984 on: 31 December, 2021, 02:41:51 pm »
@feanor: Well done.

---o0o---

48k coffee trot, cold, fog in valleys, clear on heights.  And naturally, clear and warm[ish] once I was nearly home, nicely boiled in the bag.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24985 on: 31 December, 2021, 06:25:36 pm »
Just a 4.n mile round trip for a final afternoon's natter with tea with my pal Pen. Most agreeable!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #24986 on: 31 December, 2021, 06:55:59 pm »

« Reply #24987 on: 31 December, 2021, 07:02:04 pm »
Windsor, moss end gc white Waltham maidenhead home with bjorn notp. Very little traffic about so we were able to use some b roads that I usually avoid. We used ncn4 into maidenhead. The narrower roads were very mucky in places and I may be forced to clean the trice tomorrow  :o :)
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24988 on: 01 January, 2022, 02:09:02 pm »
I cycled to the beach and had a swim in the sea, without a wetsuit. It was fortunate that it's touted as the warmest NYD on record. The air temperature was about 14°C and the water temperature, according to the RNLI bods who organised the event, was 9.2°C.

This has demonstrated to me that for 9 months of the year, I probably won't need to bother with a wetsuit, which is a right PITA to put on and take off, and also makes it difficult to cycle to the beach.

Something over 4 miles on the bike to kick the year off.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #24989 on: 01 January, 2022, 02:19:11 pm »
Rode out to a local roundabout to marshal the club New Year's Day TT. Standing the sunshine (wossat!?) in balmy temperatures was a real pleasure.

17kms in all. Well, it's a start.

« Reply #24990 on: 01 January, 2022, 04:47:31 pm »
Family trip to RHS hyde hall today so thought I'd start the account for the year and self propelled myself the 20 or so km. Had plotted a route on the GPS and took me down some lovely quiet roads. Delightfully light traffic and maybe 20 other people out for a ride.

Ludicrously mild, could easily have got away with shorts, did feel really hard work but I'm blaming a lack of saddle time in the last chunk of 2021, being mostly uphill and a head wind

Got a few odd looks walking bike around near the entrance as get a little tune from the garmin when you complete a route.

Then despaired a bit as the wife messaged she was just leaving about half hour later then planned but bought a expensive cup of tea and sat in the sun for a bit till the team car arrived

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #24991 on: 01 January, 2022, 08:52:22 pm »
30kms around the forest tracks this afternoon including my first off in a long time, I failed to cross a short but slippery bridge made of two 4" posts.  Didn't get the line up right and my speed was too low which meant corrections on it.  Never mind, nothing broken.
Didn't hurt at the time but I'm in some discomfort as everything tightens up now.  Start the year as you hope not to go on :-\

<toddles off to find some ibuprofen>
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24992 on: 01 January, 2022, 08:58:44 pm »
The weather's been shite for two weeks but I got out for an hour this morning.  It was like a Sunday morning from the early 90s, with no traffic.  Saw a nice fox and a suicidal squirrel tried to get into my front spokes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24993 on: 02 January, 2022, 12:35:12 am »
16km round the village with a stinking cold (tested!). But it was a beautiful morning and had to be done. Paid for it with some mega coughing fits afterwards and back to bed by 2pm.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #24994 on: 02 January, 2022, 04:16:45 pm »
Actually yes I have been out today!

21.87 km on the old 2008 Dawes Horizon tourer converted to flat bars & bar ends! Not particularly scenic, just Dunfermline, Crossgates, past Mossmorran, Cowdenbeath, Crossgates and home!

Pretty slow, and not as far as I used to be able to do. But no real issue cycling despite me weird neurological weirdness. 

But 21km done!

« Reply #24995 on: 02 January, 2022, 04:19:06 pm »
Yesterday. Eleven mile jaunt around Richmond Park with two cycling (but slower) friends. My first time on a bike since mini's Big Ride at the end of September. Relieved to find out that I still have legs and I can still get up hills.
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24996 on: 02 January, 2022, 04:53:12 pm »
83k loop: 40k to find out if favourite coffee/cake shop was open (it wasn't), 43k to get home.  Weather forecast was a right fuckup: supposedly 6-11°C over the course of the ride turned out to be 3-5°C rising to 7° over the last 10k. MrsT, blessëd be she, supplied revitalizing chicken ramen on arrival.

Satisfying enough for a first outing, esp. since forecast for the next week is dismal.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #24997 on: 02 January, 2022, 04:55:24 pm »
75k club ride.

About my limit at the moment. My strength in the hills has deserted me, and I was tiring in the last 20 -30k.
Still, made it round.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6461068718

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24998 on: 02 January, 2022, 05:05:31 pm »
First ride of any significant (FSVO significant) distance on the tandem trike. Out of the village, up a couple of hills and along the lanes to tanhouse farm for a late breakfast. Then on to Newdigate and Capel and across the A24 to Simon Legg's favourite lane, Weare Street. A short blast along the A29 then home for tea and medals trike cleaning duties.

Didn't go into any gutters, kept the right number of wheels in contact with the the tarmac, only minor squealing from the stoker. 30km.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

sam

« Reply #24999 on: 02 January, 2022, 05:20:59 pm »
Only to check on my unpatented squirrel defence system, which consists of a rolled up bike lock cable achoring some mudguard stays and a hanger.

Believe it or not this actually worked. For a little while. Unfortunately she's back in the loft even as I type (I'm assuming she, having found us on the equivalent of rightmove for squirrels

file photo of a squirrel

to situate a nest for the next generation). Really going to have to get that fascia fixed, quite soon.

Celebrated the new year yesterday with the usual loop around this corner of 1066 country.