Author Topic: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200  (Read 17182 times)

Re: Double Dutch, Infinity Beckons Easter Saturday 8.4.23
« Reply #100 on: 10 April, 2023, 05:37:28 pm »
I know, I was trying to say I wasn’t put off in any way as it was no different to any of my local stations or shopping centres which have all gone the way of no machines, pay by app or text only with a different app needed for every place.  I wasn’t expecting you to feedback to apcoa, just expressing out loud my frustration at their (cr)app.  Clearly I didn’t phrase it well though!

« Reply #101 on: 10 April, 2023, 08:21:54 pm »
A great ride, thanks to Martin and Ann. For me, with a childhood spent in the Fens, this was a nostalgic trip. My account:http:// https://www.sunsetcyclist.uk/200km-rides/double-dutch-infinity-beckons

« Reply #102 on: 10 April, 2023, 10:17:43 pm »

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200
« Reply #103 on: 11 April, 2023, 10:35:18 pm »
FYI the map on the AUK page is showing the route via Spalding rather than Ely.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #104 on: 12 January, 2024, 06:17:12 pm »
No it's not a mistake the ride is not on Easter Saturday but 3 weeks later on 20th April.

I have my man on the ground to find the fabled tulips. No promises but we found them 2 years ago and even had riders climbing under the fence to get better photos.

Plus the unparalelled and probably highest thing in the whole of the region Ely Cathedral (which was free to walk in last time when I arrived) and the Cambrige (mis)guided busway

and a start in a proper car park* with a proper meter  5 mins ride from the station so no need to download any apps  :thumbsup:

* or even free for the canny 5 mins ride  ;)

GdS

« Reply #105 on: 24 March, 2024, 03:41:00 pm »
Did a route check yesterday although hopefully we won't have the strong NW wind on the day which made for an interesting ride after Ely  :'(

I located 2 tulip fields en route which should be out on the day  8) and a 3rd one which is newly planted so maybe not....

Diversion away from the flooded Cambridge busway after Swavesey via all quiet roads, fingers crossed this might not be required in 4 weeks

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #106 on: 24 March, 2024, 06:07:58 pm »
GdS If you do Facebook then there’s a group that people update with whether the Guided Busway is passable. This winter seems to have been particularly bad https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451358095081889/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=3513310125553332

« Reply #107 on: 24 March, 2024, 08:09:34 pm »
... and if you prefer Strava, there is a club called "Cambridge Busway Passability". People have been posting updates every few days. The last flooded bit should have gone down in time...

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #108 on: 24 March, 2024, 08:14:43 pm »
Hopefully the residual debris will have been cleared too. I made the mistake of trying to cycle through that last year.

GdS

« Reply #109 on: 25 March, 2024, 05:25:25 pm »
Hopefully the residual debris will have been cleared too. I made the mistake of trying to cycle through that last year.

Thanks; the FB page said it was 1.5m deep last week so fingers crossed! it was about 30cm on Saturday. Bit of Googling suggests the charity field (which I think we pass) will open on the 28th so the tulips should be pretty good on the 20th.

This is the location I'm pinning my hopes on

« Reply #110 on: Yesterday at 02:14:03 pm »
Entered! Will ECE - I'd get the train, but there's a busway in the way... Do you have someone local to check the busway path status? If not, am happy to go and check on the Thursday before the event if that helps.

GdS

« Reply #111 on: Yesterday at 07:37:51 pm »
Entered! Will ECE - I'd get the train, but there's a busway in the way... Do you have someone local to check the busway path status? If not, am happy to go and check on the Thursday before the event if that helps.

Yes including another rider who's entered and another OTP, it's more the washed up crap on the path I'm concerned about but thanks for the offer  :)

Ps entries almost at 100, still have a source of Lindt bunnies but that could change this weekend.