Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882135 times)

essexian

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21700 on: 12 March, 2018, 08:21:28 am »
Many thanks to Audlum CC for their excellent Reliability Ride around the mountains of the Cheshire Plain….

Okay, I made that last bit up…there are no mountains on the Cheshire Plain but what there are is long, almost endless roads made up of false flat after false flat…. Give me a 200 foot climb at 5% any day over an endless 1% road which climbs the same height. So, despite the ride only climbing 250m over 55km, most of the ride seemed to be going uphill!

Also, at the start of the ride, the dispatcher outlined that some roads were quite poor due to road defects. He was right! I thought the roads around Stafford were poor, but it seems a few years ago many of these roads were “resurfaced” but as it was done on the cheap, the new surface has now rubbed off leaving a rutted mess in many places.

Sorry, grumbling again. I enjoyed the ride and found the club very friendly. I have kept the route map and am planning to do the longer version of the ride later in the month when the weather improves…. And the Village Chippy which is across from the car park, is open.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #21701 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:13:50 am »
Significantly pissed off today - I've taken a 2 or 3 month sabbatical from the CfC Charity Bike Shop where I volunteer on Mondays to get out riding my bike on Mondays to get some fitness back after about 4 months off the bike through injury - and what does it do? - bloody rains heavily.

Rob

« Reply #21702 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:20:06 am »
I’ve been fortunate (if being unemployed counts as fortunate  :)) in that I’ve managed to get out 6 of the last 7 days, with only some light showers to contend with. Mostly cool and breezy, tho the last couple of days I swapped merino beanie and three layers for cotton cap and two layers. I’m up to a 45km loop now, though undulating at best with perhaps (a complete guess!) 150m of climbing. Note to self - it’s a rainy day today, read the eTrex manual!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #21703 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:48:38 am »
35 miles around the Fens by Fuego; not been out on it for several months so no power to speak of, and I appear to have developed a front inflatable fairing to direct air around my double chins.   :-[

Overcast & breezy but good to be out. First visitation on this bike signalled by a 'flap-flap' from the rear coming back up Ten Mile Bank, caused by plectrum-shaped flint through the tread middle (Kojak). Tube swapped out with no drama, several cyclists slowed and asked if I had everything I needed (top support, chaps, thanks).

« Reply #21704 on: 12 March, 2018, 12:32:52 pm »
Not been out on the bike for eight weeks for one reason or another but on Saturday decided to do a short club run of 45 miles which I was quite pleased about and then yesterday decided to do another club run of 40 hilly miles, well it nearly killed me especially on the way home but perhaps I was being a little too optimistic doing two club runs over two days when not ridden for eight weeks. 85 miles in the bag though!

« Reply #21705 on: 13 March, 2018, 01:41:10 pm »
Yeh.  A wee stroll up the campsies in the sunshine.  :thumbsup:
Breezing up the crow by sg310, on Flickr

« Reply #21706 on: 13 March, 2018, 07:16:16 pm »
A little potter out to egham and back via Virginia water and Windsor park .I saw lots of deer in the deer park but the park was quiet with few visitors as I passed through around 530pm . :)
the slower you go the more you see

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #21707 on: 13 March, 2018, 11:08:46 pm »
Tarbert and Back 117km with lunch at the Harris Distillery

https://www.strava.com/activities/1451071437/embed/4172262bee3a36fb0d73b9ed31532041b98336ac

IMG_0613 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_0614 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_0615 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_0616 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_0619 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_0621 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_0623 by ian, on Flickr

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21708 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:36:47 pm »
about 2km on the new Cruzbike to try and get a feel for how I'm going to get on with it.

This is going to be fun!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Samuel D

« Reply #21709 on: 14 March, 2018, 08:49:52 pm »
Beautiful terrain, windy. I like the look of that bicycle too!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21710 on: 15 March, 2018, 08:17:20 am »
49 k with El Prez, both of us disgustingly unfit. February weather was deadly and March hasn't been much better.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21711 on: 15 March, 2018, 06:30:39 pm »
10 miles,yesterday and 9miles today both rides involved Windsor

ElyDave

« Reply #21712 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:47:48 pm »
about 11km on the new Cruzbike.  It's quick in a straight line, and easier uphill than any other recumbent I've tried.

The moving BB makes corners play with your brain, as you turn in, your feet follow in the "opposite direction" i.e. RH turn, left foot forward, that and seeing the boom move in front of you give a tendency to push back against it and straighten up again. Learning curve seems quicker than on my two previous 'bents, perhaps experience of 3 years riding them.  Starts and low speed handling need practice though.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #21714 on: 16 March, 2018, 05:16:27 pm »
25 miles today. That makes 75 this week, which I've not done since the summer so I'm feeling quite pleased with myself!
Managed my best average speed too today, so am doubly chuffed.
Steady at 15

« Reply #21715 on: 16 March, 2018, 07:01:08 pm »
36 miles today with Jonathan notp to Dinton pastures and back . A short shower as we arrived at Dinton and sunny smells for the rest of the ride  :)

« Reply #21716 on: 16 March, 2018, 07:27:47 pm »
Round the campsies is a bloody strong easterly.  Met my wife for lunch in a garden centre en-route and I was glad to have a rest before the last headwind section.

ElyDave

« Reply #21717 on: 16 March, 2018, 09:50:43 pm »
just another quick loop on the cruzbike, extended to about 12km today, very windy across the fens

Just about got it dialled in in terms of boom length and cockpit setup, it's quick so far and I think has the potential to be a lot quicker.

Feet used to being clipped in were not happy floating about on the platform pedals - you notice it much more than on an upright where gravity plays a part as well.  I think perhaps one more unclipped ride to get the setup checked out, and then it's "grab it by the scruff of the neck time"

« Reply #21718 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:13:06 pm »
100 km this morning out to the coast and back - slog out, tailwind back.

OK, I'd planned to ride a 300 when the forecast was for showers, but this somehow changed into wall-to-wall rain, so I was pleased to get as far as the coast at Marske as I nearly turned back at Yarm and back to my cosy cosy bed.

« Reply #21719 on: 17 March, 2018, 10:10:05 am »
Into slough for a hospital appointment .arrived on time and found the door was locked and no one there .The sign on the door said open Mon to Fri and to knock if you have any other appointment time . So I knocked several times but no one there . Not impressed . Another 2and a bit miles  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21720 on: 17 March, 2018, 01:08:32 pm »
Into slough for a hospital appointment .arrived on time and found the door was locked and no one there .The sign on the door said open Mon to Fri and to knock if you have any other appointment time . So I knocked several times but no one there . Not impressed . Another 2and a bit miles  ::-)

That's rubbish, making people go to Slough unnecessarily.  I hope they don't penalise you for missing the appointment.   >:(

« Reply #21721 on: 17 March, 2018, 04:50:53 pm »
They were just keeping him occupied so that he causes less trouble.    :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21722 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:51:15 pm »
A flat, windy and cold 95km with IanN, in the course of which we experienced a back injury (Ian), lack of hot food (both), a complicated puncture (me) and snow blowing at unusual angles (both of us and everyone else who was out).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #21724 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:05:28 pm »
I went on the local club ride today, extended with a ride to/from the start.
Froze my bearings off.

The ride leader showed up, and me and one other.  About 90% DNS rate.
The leader bailed 5k in, he wasn't feeling that great.

So the remaining 2 of us continued.
The route we took was not the planned route, but it was one of the 'standard' routes.

The second homeward-bound half was a fair grind into a bitingly cold headwind, and there was a fair amount of snow on the road over the higher part of the route.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2561038537