Author Topic: Motorhome Cycle Rack or Use Ladder  (Read 2392 times)

Motorhome Cycle Rack or Use Ladder
« on: 07 November, 2016, 06:07:12 pm »
I'm in the process of trading our Campervan to a Motorhome.

The Motorhome we've found doesn't have a cycle carrier or towbar so I'll probably need to buy & fit a carrier. This will obviously mean drilling holes through the back wall and probably moving stuff to gain access on the inside.

The Motorhome does however have a rear ladder & I'm pondering whether an easier option might be a cycle carrier that fits on the ladder (common in US but only one person selling in the UK) or adapting the carrier from our campervan to fit onto the ladder.

Any thoughts or experience of the ladder option before I start measuring and drilling would be most welcome.

Re: Motorhome Cycle Rack or Use Ladder
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2016, 07:47:16 pm »
Would have got the dealer to fit as part of the deal

« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2016, 08:21:53 pm »
If you get in touch with the manufacturer of said MH they should be able to supply a diagram on where to fit the cycle rack

RibbleRouser

« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2016, 08:23:46 pm »
Would probably be quite expensive but could you fit a tow-bar, and then use one of those carriers which fit onto them ? One benefit would be not having to lift the bikes as high as a normal bike rack. Ironically IME it's easier to put bikes into a campervan than a motorhome if you want to pamper them.

« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2016, 08:56:46 pm »
Some motorhomes have storage garages for that sort of thing.  Is this a possibility?

« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2016, 09:01:52 pm »
I'm in the process of making a rack to fit to the bed of my pick up truck with these

Could you do something IN your vehicle? Major and obvious advantages. I've also got a tow bar rack. It is low so easy lifting, but careful of sharp slopes like fords or campsite hard standings. Because my truck is narrow the bikes stick out the side. I feel they are vulnerable.

« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2016, 09:26:46 pm »
Thanks for the responses

The Motorhome we're buying doesn't have a towbar, fitting one is a lot more expensive than a cycle rack as well eating into the payload allowance.

Many (most) of the Motorhomes we looked at had cycle racks already fitted but weren't quite what we were looking for. Typically the one that met all other requirements doesn't have a rack. As it's something we can add it wasn't a deal breaker in the way wrong layout, condition or price was. A garage was on my wish list but wasn't a realistic option on the size and layout we we're looking for.

As the van has a rear roof ladder I was wondering is whether anyone had experience of using the rear ladder style carrier, but it was a long shot.

Proper Fammia Rack is clearly the sensible way to go, but fitting will be fiddly as I'm going to need to gain access behind the cooker and fridge for the fittings. It also requires time, patience and careful measuring to ensure you don't end up with extra holes in the van wall, or alternatively handing over cash for professional fitting.

I'm also looking at whether a Saris Bones would work, with the feet on the van wall and the straps anchored to the ladder.

« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2016, 09:42:07 pm »
All being well you are going to have the van a while, bite the bullet and get it fitted you will have a guarantee
The cycle rack on my van is so easy to put bikes on and remove, I brought the bike cover as well, as it fitted better than others I had tried

« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2016, 10:13:07 am »
One thing I would say is if using a cover on a Fiamma rack ensure it's very well tied down, use extra bungee's, otherwise when one of the cover ties snaps it has the potential to turn into a parachute on the motorway and try and rip the rack through the wall of the van. DNAHIKT 

« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2016, 10:56:33 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. Fiamma rack has now been purchased and will be fitted sometime soon.