Author Topic: Mappage.  (Read 3886 times)

Mappage.
« on: 23 November, 2016, 09:09:46 pm »
Hey Up.
Anybody got advice on a definitive map resource (hard copies) for, in particular, France.
Hard copies that I can buy and spread out at home.
I'm planning a trip with a mate in the Summer from Paris down to Turin and want to do some old school research prior to heading off.
I dragged out my old dusty maps and 1:125k seems to be about the optimal scale for detail and coverage. (though mine have no contours, which I would like)
If someone knows of a resource that covers/overlaps the entire route that would be cool. The web sites I have tracked down seem pretty random and don't make it clear on the boundaries of each map.
I've chucked my name into the hat for TCR#5 next year so if I'm lucky enough to get a spot, I'll be jumping off from that ride to head further afield so spanky maps that cover the further reaches of Europe would be good too.

often lost.

Re: Mappage.
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2016, 09:24:17 pm »
Stanfords used to be the place to look for European maps. French maps are generally IGN for the detailed stuff and Michelin for the general purpose road maps. But you could buy a road atlas (preferably a cheap one) and tear out the pages you want. That could work out more cost effective.

« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2016, 06:30:52 am »
+1 for IGN maps, you can even buy 1:25000 maps if you fancy that level of details, but in my view, their 1:100000 maps are better suited for cycling purpose.

Beware of the fact that you cannot always rely on road numbering for guessing whether a road is cyclable or not. N roads used to be main roads with heavy traffic, while D roads used to be secondary and quieter roads. This is not true anymore, some former  N roads have been relabelled D. A quick glance on Google StreetView is now the only way to be sure!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2016, 07:32:20 am »
Simple   http://www.themapshop.co.uk/    - stock all the IGN maps in 1-25 and 1-100 - having done loads of touring in France I have an embarrassingly large collection of them!

In some ways the 1-25 have too much detail for cycling - you also need a lot of them if going any distance.

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2016, 10:19:43 am »
https://dash4it.co.uk/ is another good source for both IGN & Michelin.  I don't think any of the Michelin ones have contours though.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2016, 10:29:15 am »

« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2016, 10:32:04 am »
IGN 100K coverage:

« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2016, 11:19:26 am »
I use IGN 100k for normal cycling use. If I'm going a long distance, I may use the 250k sheets, topped up with GPS detail, to cut down the number of maps carried.

If you want large areas without too much cost, it could be worth considering getting the Memory-Map IGN Top 100, which is £50 download/£75 disc for the whole of France (much better value than the OS). Alternatively, there's the 1:200k A3 Michelin road atlas, £15 (no contours)

« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2016, 11:16:39 pm »
Ah, memories! I've used IGN 101, 106, 115, 116 & 117 for cycling, but not for ages. The 1:100K are pretty good for cycling around an area, I think.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2016, 01:08:46 pm »
Brilliant guys thanks. Much appreciated.
The IGN coverage chart will have me sorted for getting the right #'s  Dave R. :thumbsup:
I'll get a series of the 100k maps between Paris and Briancon, plus a more detailed "get out of Paris" map, and maybe a detailed one or two for the Alps crossing. The plan is to take in the TDF Izoard section before we head on over to Turin.
often lost.

rr

« Reply #10 on: 25 November, 2016, 01:26:27 pm »
Simple   http://www.themapshop.co.uk/    - stock all the IGN maps in 1-25 and 1-100 - having done loads of touring in France I have an embarrassingly large collection of them!

In some ways the 1-25 have too much detail for cycling - you also need a lot of them if going any distance.

Rob
Often cheaper than buying them in France too

Samuel D

« Reply #11 on: 25 November, 2016, 02:22:11 pm »
I agree with the recommendation for IGN 1:100,000 (1 cm = 1 km) maps. These maps have contours, though I find them hard to see over the clutter of built-up areas. In less built-up areas the contours are clear.

Perhaps if I was riding all the way from Paris to Turin I would want an additional map at a smaller scale, to have a better overview of the whole journey or large sections of it.

Sounds like a great trip!

« Reply #12 on: 25 November, 2016, 03:15:51 pm »
I'll get a series of the 100k maps between Paris and Briancon, plus a more detailed "get out of Paris" map,

If you are not familiar with riding in Paris, I would recommend that you stick to cycle paths. Click here for a map. Driving habits in Paris might be a bit bemusing for people from abroad! Head to the south bank of the Seine, then head east to Ivry sur Seine, and you will be on your way to the Alps.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 25 November, 2016, 03:27:24 pm »
Quote from: The French Tourist Board
Head to the south bank of the Seine, then head east to Ivry sur Seine, and you will be on your way to the Alps.

God that sounds wonderful. <sigh>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 25 November, 2016, 04:40:29 pm »
Quote from: The French Tourist Board
Head to the south bank of the Seine, then head east to Ivry sur Seine, and you will be on your way to the Alps.

God that sounds wonderful. <sigh>

Bloody Paris - can't think what people see in it :(  Traffic, pollution, difficult parking and peopled by Parisians (my opinion might be a bit biased but it has been formed by spending too much time on demolition sites. My opinions of London have similarly been formed by the experience gained as a motorcycle despatcher.

I prefer using Michelin's maps but I was put off IGN green 20 years ago because there were too many roads shown that didn't exist on the ground, at least here in Limousin. IGN blue and the touring area maps derived from them are my first choice always where possible. Michelin don't have contours but they do have spot heights and gradient arrows which do the job for me.

« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2017, 01:08:17 pm »
Thread resurrection,

There's a reference to the IGN 1:100,000 scale of map further up this thread. As far as I can tell this only covers France. Are there similar maps for Germany, Austria and Italy? I'm struggling to find much that isn't a Michelin map at much larger scale (which I might get anyway for general route planning) or a Kompass at much smaller scale.

Oh and we are crossing the Alps from Innsbruck so contours would be handy!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #16 on: 10 May, 2017, 01:27:46 pm »
Hmmm crossing Alps via Innsbruck.  Are you taking part in Transcontinental race #5? :D

For Germany take a look at the ADFC-Radtourenkarte series. (1:150k) Strong waxy surface, and contours.
For Austria and Italy there is Freytag and Berndt (also 1 to 150) and shows relief. (these maps are relatively heavy btw)

I ordered the above (route planning for TCR) and picked up from Stanfords when last in London.

There is a link here to a trip through the Brenner/Innsbruck we did last Summer.
http://fireflyadventureteam.com/stories/11-adventure-report/88-munich-to-venice.html.

Hope that helps.
Jonah (Morbihan)
often lost.

« Reply #17 on: 10 May, 2017, 01:32:12 pm »
Thanks Jonah,

Sadly we are not doing TCR but we are following in your wheeltracks along the Munich-Venice path. Your blog inspired us a few months ago.

Might take a trip to Stanfords

Edited to add - I've just realised we will be in the area at the same time as the TCR was scheduled to come through - obviously things are a bit up in the air at the moment - if you do see two slow moving cycle tourists as you flash through, give us a wave!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #18 on: 10 May, 2017, 01:38:22 pm »
The ADFC 150k Cycle Maps are probably best.
Cheapest (UK) from the map shop in Upton on Severn.

There doesn't seem to be anything for Germany between 150K and 50K

« Reply #19 on: 10 May, 2017, 08:25:16 pm »
IGN maps are good just dont expect them to be OS robust.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:48:35 pm »
Thanks Jonah,

Sadly we are not doing TCR but we are following in your wheeltracks along the Munich-Venice path. Your blog inspired us a few months ago.

Might take a trip to Stanfords

Edited to add - I've just realised we will be in the area at the same time as the TCR was scheduled to come through - obviously things are a bit up in the air at the moment - if you do see two slow moving cycle tourists as you flash through, give us a wave!

For sure. Heres hoping that proceedings continue as planned despite the tragic turn of events. I don't see many options to transverse the Alps other than Brenner (though I may be surprised by others) so I imagine you will see a motley assortment of smelly bike packers coming through the pass   :)
I rather fancied using the  M2V route, but its a little too far off to the East (and a bunch more climbing) for CP2 (Monte Grappa)
  You have chosen a lovely journey. I hope the sun shines for you and you enjoy the tour.
often lost.

« Reply #21 on: 10 May, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »
I'll get a series of the 100k maps between Paris and Briancon, plus a more detailed "get out of Paris" map,

If you are not familiar with riding in Paris, I would recommend that you stick to cycle paths. Click here for a map. Driving habits in Paris might be a bit bemusing for people from abroad! Head to the south bank of the Seine, then head east to Ivry sur Seine, and you will be on your way to the Alps.

Just reading back through this older thread. Thanks for this. We have indeed opted to use the Seine to exit Paris, jumping off round Barbizon/ Fontainebleau. ( Its a nostalgic trip for my mates 50th and he used to boulder/climb round there) Our dates had us overnighting in Paris on Bastille Day, but  we will probably now overnight North of Paris, TGV in on the 15th and leave town that morning to avoid the mad crush.
often lost.

« Reply #22 on: 11 May, 2017, 06:55:24 pm »
It's a pretty quick way out of Paris.  However, when I did it 3 years ago, the most notable thing was that there was a major refugee village along the Seine path - lots of people living in caravans and tents.  It was quite striking to see it, so close to the centre of Paris.