Author Topic: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter  (Read 19920 times)

Re: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »
First apologies for the delay in writing a review - I've been off the road due to a bout of flu. I've now managed two short rides this weekend and have set out initial thoughts below. I'll also add them to my bike and wheel blog, with pictures, at the weekend, as well as updating when I've done dome longer rides.

Ordering, delivery and first impressions
Simple and straightforward. I submitted an order on the website and the unit arrived in it's little box a couple of days later. My first impression was one of delighted surprise at how small it actually is and also how nice it looked in it's plain titanium case. Unassuming and very much form following function.

Fitting
Fitting was very straightforward. I simply ensured that I had enough bare wire and twisted the ends together with my front light wires, and then pushed them through the Shutter Precision/Shimano lego block. A bit of insulation tape to help route the cable up the fork leg and then to hold the D1 to the front of the headtube on my GF Ti - nice matching colour, and practically not at all noticeable. Worth pointing out that the cable ties wouldn't have gone around the big head tube, but that was fine in my case. This bike is in working trim and insulation tape is 'de rigeur'.

Set up
For completeness, and because there are a lot of tests using the SP PV8, I fitted the D1 to my GF Ti with an SV9 dynamo hub, Schmidt Edelux 2 and B&M Secula Plus. The SV9 is a tiny hub that doesn't meet the German regs in a 700c wheel, but does in a 20 inch wheel. The Shutter Precision website helpfully suggests that, 'You can just pedal 1.7km/h faster...' I was particularly interested in whether there would be any surplus power available to charge with the lights on at the same time - possibly asking a bit much - as well as what charge rate can be delivered without lights.

The usb leadout from the D1 is then fed past the headtube and into a small Restrap frame bag that I use to hold electronics and bits. The bag has a dynamo cable port, so that bit was easy too and it should keep the socket dryish.

Test rides
So far only two test rides. One very short and a slightly longer ride today.

Ride 1: I rode just over 6 miles around town with only the D1 in use, charging my work iphone 6. The D1 charged fast enough to add 10% to the charge position of the iphone, based on a battery monitor app. I was actually quite impressed by the speed of charge and only heard the phone 'bleep' to mark the end of charging when slowing right down.

Ride 2: I started this ride and did 15 miles at just over 15mph average with the lights on and the iphone charging. The charge status of the phone increased by only 2%, suggesting that the lights are power hungry enough that the dynamo cannot really supply sufficient power (or at least the voltage curve is such that...) to support significant charging at the same time. I then switch off the lights and rode the 7.5 miles home at a lower speed (into the wind) and found the iphone charge status had increased by 11%. Again, a very positive charge rate absent the lights.

Coming tests
I've ordered a usb charge meter so I can see what actual current is being put out by the D1 and will aim to use it on some longer rides. I've got a 3,000 and a 10,000 maH powerpack that I've allowed to discharge so I can test the D1 into those. The 10,000maH pack has pass through charging as well, so that will be a further test. Depending on the weather, some of this should happen in January - weather because the wind today interacted with the 30mm rims, 28mm tyres and guards on the GF Ti to make some gusts pretty terrifying, so the guards and big tyres are coming off.

Conclusion
I'm really pleased with the D1. It appears to work very well, and certainly much better than the usb-werk I had before. One positive is that I had no light cycling/flashing with the D1 today, it just didn't charge. The usb-werk and my (then) exposure revo were an unhappy combination with moments of unpredictable darkness. The charge rate appears useful and over a long ride I am comfortable that it would keep a powerbank charged, allowing continued used of phone and Garmin on tour for example. I suspect this is the main purpose and is one that I will likely adopt as well (look out for my trailer project...)

Andrew, thanks for the offer to test and review the unit. It seems to me to the most useful available at present and is also nicely and functionally put together. The accessories that you are developing with be really useful as well to those with more than one dynamo equipped bike and other wider needs. I hope the project goes well.

Regards

Mike

« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2017, 02:39:51 pm »
Sorry,  bit slow posting this,  but further to my review upthread ^^^^,  I thought I'd just add a photo of my Igaro d1 installation.   

This is of the Igaro zip tied to the underside of my (13cm) stem,  I'm using the supplied foam mounts here too.   The unit is secured with 2 zip ties and then a further 2 to tidy up the USB cable and secure the socket to the side of the stem.   I've then used a short micro USB cable with a 90 degree bend to plug into the port on the edge 1000.   I'm really pleased with the way it mounts here - it's practically invisible from above.   

Eddington: 101 Miles,  131km

« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2017, 12:31:29 pm »
Finally in a position to post review. Delay caused by needing to ride Rapha Festive 500 on three wheels (trike currently doesn't have dyno hub and couldn't 'borrow' a wheel from another machine as it's on 26".

Further delay caused by an issue on the Condor where the Igaro D1 is installed.  Issue found and sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2017, 10:57:59 pm »
I must be the final review of the Igaro.  My testing is in line with what everyone else has said.  The Igaro is small and delivers what it says it does with no fuss.  Being independent from the light is great.  I like the way you can switch between the various connector ends as it allows a variety of devices to be charged and covers off that the Garmin Edge range use both micro and mini USB.

My test was over my commute to work.  5 days and 450km with two returns in the rain flung in for good measure.  The Igaro worked brilliantly particularly given that I gave it my Edge 1000 to feed rather than the easier option of the 810.  Riding along without worry that the GPS would run out of power was brilliant.

As said up thread, if you plug in the GPS with minimum of 95% power the light works with zero issues with minimum loss of brightness.  If you want the GPS to be charged up from say 65% of power plus run the light, you will have a flashing light whilst the dyno hub / Igaro gets the GPS up to about 96% power then the light will resume normal service.

For value for money, simplicity and so far reliability a big thumbs up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2017, 01:03:03 pm »
Yes, it's me again. The Igaro passed the super snow test the other day. Riding the Condor to work rather than the Scott MTB as it's got the Igaro which I'm liking more and more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2017, 10:04:23 pm »
Thanks for your comments and feedback HK. Grab a picture if you can!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2017, 10:34:19 pm »
I might be being thick (or possibly this thinking juice is not working).  I can't quite work out from the pictures...

How do I connect one of these to my SonDelux?  Do I conect this to the hub and then the lights to this?

« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2017, 01:22:52 am »
If you order the SON version, it will come with a pair of these piggyback connectors on the cable.
You take the light connectors off the hub and fit them to the spades on the piggyback connectors, the plug the piggyback connectors into the hub.

« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2017, 08:45:32 am »
Aye - you end up with two cables running up the fork, one to the lamp, then one to the D1 (most likely mounted on stem or headtube) which then in turn has a further short cable to the trailing USB socket.

« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »
We have a stability bank accessory coming out soon (retrofittable and low priced) which will help some high current devices achieve a higher level of charge at higher speed by allowing the detection discussed above to move to a higher charge point at lower speed.

Any news on that?
I did a bit more testing today (with a portapow meter in the loop) charging both a phone and a cache battery and I'm consistently getting more (about 50% more) amps out of the Luxos with its cache battery than out of the D1.
My Perms Round the Plain and NEW Into the Lion's Den now with GPS Validation option!

« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:42 pm »
We have a stability bank accessory coming out soon (retrofittable and low priced) which will help some high current devices achieve a higher level of charge at higher speed by allowing the detection discussed above to move to a higher charge point at lower speed.

Any news on that?
I did a bit more testing today (with a portapow meter in the loop) charging both a phone and a cache battery and I'm consistently getting more (about 50% more) amps out of the Luxos with its cache battery than out of the D1.

You will, the Luxos uses the same NIMH batteries as the USB Werk - it will give you 1A when the batteries are charged and depleting, then zero while they are charging.

It's out (see website).

« Reply #186 on: March 04, 2017, 12:28:57 pm »
An alternative to having separate SON and Shimano/SP versions would be to supply a connector block with spades, like this

« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2017, 08:18:25 pm »
While that's feckin' awful, I'd buy one. Assuming it's a home-built bodgerepurposing of other components, do you have a parts list and instructions? There are other wheels I'd rather reinvent

« Reply #188 on: March 04, 2017, 11:29:25 pm »
It's supplied with the "NC-17 Connect Appconn GT#1" (what a mouthful), an "all the bells & whistles" German power converter that uses an 18650 as a buffer and has an associated smartphone app that does things like count the dynohub pulses to measure distance (google translate magazine review).

« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2017, 12:56:34 pm »
Thanks for the info.

<Contemplates bodgery>

« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2017, 02:50:35 pm »
An alternative to having separate SON and Shimano/SP versions would be to supply a connector block with spades, like this

We've gone one better, and you can now attach it to front dynamo lights. Check out the three power lead options on the website.

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2017, 02:57:05 pm »

We've gone one better, and you can now attach it to front dynamo lights. Check out the three power lead options on the website.

Not sure about that one.  I mean, front lights generally come with a long trailing wire to connect to the hub, and only have spade connectors on the rear light output (using that would mean you'd need to have the light switched on, drawing power).  Sure, some of us have fitted spade connectors on the input closer to the light to extend the cable run for an unusually shaped bike, but if we're capable of doing that, we wouldn't have a problem fitting our own connectors to the unterminated cable...
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2017, 03:06:16 pm »

Not sure about that one.  I mean, front lights generally come with a long trailing wire to connect to the hub, and only have spade connectors on the rear light output (using that would mean you'd need to have the light switched on, drawing power).  Sure, some of us have fitted spade connectors on the input closer to the light to extend the cable run for an unusually shaped bike, but if we're capable of doing that, we wouldn't have a problem fitting our own connectors to the unterminated cable...

It's only suitable for lights (most B&M models, not the high-end models as you point out) with spades at the unit.

Kim

« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2017, 04:13:25 pm »
Ah!  Of course!  I'd forgotten about those.
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2017, 04:56:43 pm »

The thought (i.e. my thought) behind the connector block with spades was that putting spade connectors on a B+M light is a one off job, and if you also have piggyback connectors on the D1, you can fit either light or convertor or both, and swap back and forth freely with nothing other than keeping the cables tidy to worry about.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2017, 07:42:47 pm »
The thought (i.e. my thought) behind the connector block with spades was that putting spade connectors on a B+M light is a one off job, and if you also have piggyback connectors on the D1, you can fit either light or convertor or both, and swap back and forth freely with nothing other than keeping the cables tidy to worry about.

This is an interesting thought. I now have one bike with a Shimano dynohub and one bike with a Schmidt SON. I haven't bought an Igaro yet but it's on my shopping list and I've been mulling over the problem of how to swap it easily between the two bikes. The other solution is Kim's idea of using Tamiya connectors. I then got on to wondering how the lights would connect in this arrangement but I googled and found there is such a thing as a Tamiya parallel Y-connector.

The other other solution is to buy a second Igaro, but I'd prefer a cheaper option for now.

Kim

« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2017, 08:07:06 pm »
The other solution is Kim's idea of using Tamiya connectors. I then got on to wondering how the lights would connect in this arrangement but I googled and found there is such a thing as a Tamiya parallel Y-connector.

No need for that (unless you want to be able to move the lights around too).  I just connect the light and the dynamo in parallel to the back of a female Tamiya.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2017, 01:50:07 pm »
So I had my one and only issue so far with the Igaro D1 - Garmin was down to 40% battery on Saturday's audax, so pulled out a lead and plugged in the Garmin to the D1.  Nothing... no charging  :o  I still had a good few hours left to ride and the Garmin was my guide to getting back to the finish...  :facepalm:

I was riding along trying to think about what was the potential issue, lead? Garmin USB socket? D1?

Luckily I had put a small USB battery bank in my rack pack, so I was able to test out my assumption it was the USB lead I was using... it wasn't so I was able to get some charge in to the Garmin and made a note to investigate the D1.

I managed to take a look today and after a test ride, identified it was the power in cable where it was soldered to the piggy back connector - though there was no physical evidence of a broken cable, it eventually came away in my hand with a bit of encouragement.  I've since re soldered it back on and all appear to be OK. 

I took the opportunity to put a GPS logger on the power line as I was riding up and down testing but unfortunately the GPS part decided not to log, however I can say that the charging current on the Garmin Edge 1000 is about 375mA peak.

I also noted that with the IQX on, there was a good 4kph difference between powering the USB & not powering it compared with the IQX off - unfortunately no GPS log to record the speed vrs voltage/current I'm afraid.. If I get bored I might get round to putting the logger on the dynamo output and do some more comparison tests.

ETA: I would add my decision not to splice cables but use the already fitted piggy back connectors on the D1 was vindicated in that I still had working lights even though the D1 wasn't getting power...

Regards,

Jason

« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2017, 10:20:07 am »
Back on the bike after Black Ice Wednesday 8 weeks ago. As the baby cable to hook the Garmin Edge 810 to the Iggy had been organised during my extended sofa sit decided it was time to test this GPS rather than the Garmin Edge 1000.

Unlike the 1000 who loves the Iggy, the 810'positively hates it. Tried both the baby cable and my standard. Star Tech 3' cable. Both cause the Garmin to power down due to loss of external power. The longer cable does this more frequently, not just when you stop as per the baby cable. On both rides to work this has driven me so crazy that I've stopped to unhook the 810 from the Iggy.

Is there a solution to this other than putting a powermonkey between the 810 and the connection point with the Iggy? I'd prefer not to do this as it isn't a very good solution for the trike but would work OK with the two wheeled Condor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2017, 05:41:28 pm »
Try a ride with the 810 using just the powermonkey and the cables you used before, to see if that gives power losses too.
If it does, it would probably be the USB port on the 810 starting to get flaky.