Author Topic: The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 — 18 March 2017 (plus the Spring Dash 100)  (Read 8384 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
And here it is, 2017's serving of The Cambridge Pork Pie — as Tomsk said last year: "all in all a great route that has the makings of a tough, early-season classic  :thumbsup:" 

The 2017 running of this event is on the same Saturday as last year, when we had excellent weather and only six DNFs from a field of well over 100. 

This time there is just one control — Melton Mowbray — leaving it up to the individual randonneur to decide for themselves whether to ride this as 2x 100km stages, or whether to break each leg at Oundle or Oakham on the way north, or Oundle or Huntingdon (or St Ives) on the way back again.  Given that LEL's first stage is 100km, this should provide a good test for anyone signed up for it  ;)

We are also hoping to provide two routes — the classic route from last year, which is still one of my faves from Cambridge, as well as a new, more scenic route, with added elevation-gain and a raft of new countryside and landmarks, plus bonus kilometres (but no extra time allowed) — a proper challenge for anyone who's up for it.  Just shy of AAA — or possibly just over AAA, we're still in discussion on that point!

The Pork Pie 200 page is here — http://www.camaudax.uk/rides/the-cambridge-pork-pie-2017/

The Spring Dash 100 page is here — http://www.camaudax.uk/rides/the-cambridge-spring-dash-2017/

Taking entries now!  :)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 — 18 March 2017 (plus the Spring Dash 100)
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2017, 06:32:59 am »
Looking forward to it, it'll be my first long ride of the year.

dod

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2017, 08:53:47 am »
I'm in, last year's version was an excellent ride.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2017, 08:58:43 am »
 :thumbsup: I'm in... didn't manage to do it last year...
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:11:27 am »
I'll be there for my March RRTY but riding the hammock for an added bit of interest.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2017, 02:05:13 pm »
Spring Dash for me this year, plus a little ECE-ing... :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2017, 07:01:17 pm »
Spring Dash for me this year, plus a little ECE-ing... :thumbsup:

I did the spring dash last year and the controls were superb.

Have you commissioned the cake mountain for the arrive again Wilkyboy?

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »

Oh yes!  Mrs W is testing recipes at the moment — welcome to my world  ;D  mmm ...

Lee Killestein

« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2017, 03:05:06 pm »

Oh yes!  Mrs W is testing recipes at the moment — welcome to my world  ;D  mmm ...

Pork Pie AND good quality cake? I'm in!  ;D

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2017, 06:32:15 pm »
Tested another cake last night — nom nom!  :smug: :thumbsup:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2017, 07:56:57 am »
And today I'm off to bag my February RRTY 200 — my first of number 7 — with a route-check ride of the Cambridge Spring Dash 100 route, plus some extra distance out towards Bury St Edmunds in the hills* south-east of Cambridge.  It's looking like a nice day to ride today  :)

The Cambridge Pork Pie route check will be on 4 March and I'll send up-to-date routesheet and information to all entrants on both event shortly after.

* A relative term around Cambridge.

« Reply #11 on: 04 February, 2017, 08:28:22 am »
I've just entered the spring dash.  :thumbsup:

My first audax for a few years.  :o
Don't ask.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2017, 11:56:17 am »
I've just entered the spring dash.  :thumbsup:

My first audax for a few years.  :o

You'll be fine, Luke — it's a ride of two pubs, with a coffee stop between the two, and a very long downhill back to l'arrivée  :thumbsup:  ;D

« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2017, 04:36:29 pm »
plus some extra distance out towards Bury St Edmunds in the hills* south-east of Cambridge. 

* A relative term around Cambridge.

Or as I repeatedly explain to my  cycling colleagues in 'averil', there are no hills around this part of the world, only undules*

* wot causes undulations
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #14 on: 26 February, 2017, 04:06:14 pm »
Just signed up for the full pork pie experience.

Then I looked at the map. Cambridge seems to be much further from home than it used to be! So an early start and some sleep deprivation training awaits.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #15 on: 26 February, 2017, 08:25:47 pm »
Just signed up for the full pork pie experience.

Then I looked at the map. Cambridge seems to be much further from home than it used to be! So an early start and some sleep deprivation training awaits.

Yes, it does look a bit of a drive for you — I reckon 1h30m from yours at that time in the morning.  We'll be open from 7am and we'll be there until about 9.10am to set off the Spring Dashers, so we can set you off a little later if you can't get to us by 8am, although I would definitely try to start with the main bunch, if only to get a tow to Oundle  ;)

« Reply #16 on: 26 February, 2017, 10:11:54 pm »
Thanks. I wasn't expecting a personalised response.

Forty years ago I used to regularly drive from here, near Wimbledon, through the centre of London and out to Stansted. It never seemed to take long. Now Google suggests the quickest route is out to the M25 and around London - 103 miles and 2 hours.

I know it will be worth it - especially if you can arrange that tow. :)

« Reply #17 on: 28 February, 2017, 11:25:54 am »
I am in the centre of London and getting to Cambridge is a pain in the rear! I have luckily got a friend in Haverhill so I would see my friend and stop overnight and just amble up to the start at not so silly o’clock in the morning by car. I would suggest an overnight stay at a cheapo motorway hotel if possible.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #18 on: 28 February, 2017, 11:34:17 am »
I am in the centre of London and getting to Cambridge is a pain in the rear! I have luckily got a friend in Haverhill so I would see my friend and stop overnight and just amble up to the start at not so silly o’clock in the morning by car. I would suggest an overnight stay at a cheapo motorway hotel if possible.

Everything's relative, Sefi — I think 50 minutes on the train from King's Cross is okay, but I used to commute on it every day, so I suppose I'm used to it.  That said, it is a nice warm-up ride to the start from Haverhill via the Balsham descent  :thumbsup:

If you get here early, we'll have the coffee on for you  :)

« Reply #19 on: 28 February, 2017, 12:00:54 pm »

Everything's relative, Sefi — I think 50 minutes on the train from King's Cross is okay, but I used to commute on it every day, so I suppose I'm used to it.  That said, it is a nice warm-up ride to the start from Haverhill via the Balsham descent  :thumbsup:

If you get here early, we'll have the coffee on for you  :)

I am not doing it. It clashes with a Friday night out in Haverhill for the said friend's forthcoming wedding which i am not able to make so next time! :)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #20 on: 28 February, 2017, 12:05:11 pm »
I am not doing it. It clashes with a Friday night out in Haverhill for the said friend's forthcoming wedding which i am not able to make so next time! :)

The perfect excuse!  You'll be missed, but there's always next time  ;)  (and more cake for the rest of us ... I'm just saying ;D )

« Reply #21 on: 28 February, 2017, 12:08:48 pm »

The perfect excuse!  You'll be missed, but there's always next time  ;)  (and more cake for the rest of us ... I'm just saying ;D )

Well I can't find any other events you're doing this year so I'll keep an eye out!

haha @ CAAAAAKKKEEEE!!!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #22 on: 28 February, 2017, 12:16:47 pm »
Well I can't find any other events you're doing this year so I'll keep an eye out!

haha @ CAAAAAKKKEEEE!!!

We're planning on running the Cambridge Autumnals again, probably in October so they'll go into the calendar sometime between now and July   :thumbsup:

And imagine my pain — I'm on a cake-free diet at the moment!  :(  Gotta lose these kilos before LEL ... :facepalm:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
It was a great ride last year and the 100 was reasonably hilly as well.  Unfortunately I can't make it this year
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

I'm in for the 100.