Author Topic: Food fads, backlashes etc - Giles Coren column  (Read 7167 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Food fads, backlashes etc - Giles Coren column
« on: 22 January, 2017, 03:22:27 pm »
His Times column yesterday was reeeeally good! Could anyone that subscribes please breach their T&Cs for the greater good and copy it here?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:S2DSO7d42RoJ:www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/try-the-giles-plan-diet-it-s-deliciously-simple-g3dbgk0sz+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Now that clean eating has gone the way of all the other diet fads, keep your eyes off the cake and follow my rules

I’m sure you noticed the banner on Thursday’s Times that screeched, “Don’t call me clean!” alongside a photo of a beautiful young girl grasping a ten-inch Perspex tube. No doubt, like me, you assumed we had secured an exclusive interview with one of Donald Trump’s Russian hotel buddies and tore through the paper for the full set of photos, only to find that the young woman in question was by no means one of Putin’s finest, but a food blogger called Deliciously Ella. Or more likely, Ella Deliciously (half my spam is addressed to “Coren Giles”, so I’m guessing that is what happened here).

It turned out that the blunt object Ms Deliciously was gripping so firmly was in fact not a sex toy or…
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Food fads, backlashes etc - Giles Coren column
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2017, 03:42:59 pm »
I’m sure you noticed the banner on Thursday’s Times that screeched, “Don’t call me clean!” alongside a photo of a beautiful young girl grasping a ten-inch Perspex tube. No doubt, like me, you assumed we had secured an exclusive interview with one of Donald Trump’s Russian hotel buddies and tore through the paper for the full set of photos, only to find that the young woman in question was by no means one of Putin’s finest, but a food blogger called Deliciously Ella. Or more likely, Ella Deliciously (half my spam is addressed to “Coren Giles”, so I’m guessing that is what happened here).

It turned out that the blunt object Ms Deliciously was gripping so firmly was in fact not a sex toy or sample bottle but a spiraliser, which is a thing used for turning courgettes into spaghetti by people whose diet allows them to eat courgettes but not spaghetti. People who live by the opposite prohibition, like me, have yet to be provided with a device that turns spaghetti into courgettes.

And the reason Ms Deliciously was asking not to be called clean, I gathered, was that the “clean eating” movement of which she is a leading light has this week suffered a catastrophic backlash against its values.

“Clean eating”, in case you are not a 12-year-old anorexic with an Instagram account, is the lifestyle trend in which beautiful, wealthy posh girls such as Ms Deliciously (daughter of a Sainsbury heiress and a former cabinet minster) and the Hemsley sisters, Jasmine and Melissa (privately educated former models), blog about how if you go vegan and gluten-free and cut out processed food you can be just like them. So millions of girls do, and then get very miserable when, despite losing half their body weight, they are still ugly, common and poor.

In a Horizon programme broadcast on Thursday night (which I didn’t see because I was in the pub) a Cambridge biochemist called Dr Giles Yeo threw the whole thing back in their faces. He excoriated the theories, ridiculed the research and revealed the absence of anything scientific at all in this ridiculous hokum that encourages healthy young people to live like allergy-raddled invalids.

And so what the fresh-faced lovelies who have made millions out of it immediately did, like hardened crims caught by the plod with their hands full of stolen jewellery, was chorus, “It wasn’t me, guv!”

Backing away from the crime scene with their arms in the air, the scrawny profiteers all claimed nervously never to have used the phrase “clean eating”, never judged anyone for what they ate, never suggested anyone copy them, weren’t never there in the first place, never done nuffink, it’s a fit up . . .

And so I guess that’s it with the clean movement now and we will all have to sit through the extended nutritional backlash. The celebration of dirty eating. All the fat bastards saying, “I told you it was a massive con!” and tucking right back into the factory pies and sugary cakes and fizzy drinks. Because that is how we eat in this country: not according to fads but according to backlashes.

Every diet you can think of: the calorie-controlled, the low-fat, the Atkins, the F-plan, the grapefruit, the Montignac, the SlimFast, the Hay, the cabbage soup, the paleo, the 5:2, the Rosemary Conley, the Mediterranean, the South Beach, the Dukan, the raw food . . . they all looked preposterous quite soon after inception and then lasted longer in the backlash than in their original manifestation. For while none of us ever followed any of them properly, we all sighed the great sigh of relief when each was discredited, said, “I’m never eating another grapefruit/cabbage/mouthful of Flora margarine/mackerel/kale smoothie . . .” and dived straight back into eating whatever we most loved that had been taken away from us under false pretences.

On Radio 4 this week, the brilliant Canadian author Malcolm Gladwell brought solace to Trump-befuddled snowflakes by reminding us that in American politics the major political earthquakes are almost always most significant for the extended backlashes that follow them. He cited McCarthyism and Vietnam and it was hard to argue. I’d say the same thing about the history of healthy eating over the past 50 years. The backlash is always more significant than the original message.

Don’t eat anything delivered to you by a man on a motorbike
Which is why we are so fat and unhealthy. Because the discrediting of each diet rings in our dumb, fat little minds as a de facto endorsement of everything it had prohibited. “You see!” we cry. “I always said that fat / sugar / potatoes / bread / wine / beer / meat / coffee . . . couldn’t be bad for you!” and in we tuck like never before. Simply because a diet invented by morons to cater for other morons has been discredited by yet more morons.

That’s why you see fat idiots sitting in front of pizza and chips with a pint of beer and a chocolate cake, saying: “If them scientists can’t make up their minds, I’m not going to sit about eating lettuce all day, am I? One day it’s this, one day it’s that. Might as well eat what I like.” Except it is not scientists proposing and discrediting these theories. It is just morons. Greedy morons who want to turn your own moronic failure to grasp the bare essentials of nutrition into money. And they are killing us.

We just need to be less stupid. Well, you do. I’m fine. I eat out for a living and I’m not fat or unhealthy or suffering from any of the weird ailments that the orthorexic authors of these diets always claim to have been cured of by them. The rules for eating properly, staying slim and living for ever are so obvious it makes my eyes bleed.

Just don’t eat anything out of a packet. Don’t eat in front of a screen. Don’t eat standing up, or on public transport, or in the street. Don’t eat without cutlery or out of a box. Don’t eat anything delivered to your door by a man on a motorbike or passed to you in your car through a hatch. Don’t eat anything a fox would ignore. Don’t eat anything because you “can’t resist” or because “a little of what you fancy does you good” or because you saw it advertised on TV. Don’t eat because you are bored. And don’t eat anything that contains ingredients you cannot visualise.

There is one famous prohibition, espoused by a great many people who claim to know what they are talking about, which goes: “Do not eat anything that your grandmother would not have recognised as food.” But alas that would restrict me to heimische pickles and Silk Cut.

On the other hand, she did live to 103.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2017, 08:44:55 pm »
Some of this sounds very similar to my suggestions in the Weight Loss Discussion thread elsewhere...

My takeaways usually arrive by car.

I suppose that makes them OK then!

I see my last Chinese was ordered on 25/7/2016 so they're not too frequent.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2017, 09:48:44 pm »
That Giles Coren regards Malcolm Gladwell as "brilliant" merely reconfirms my suspicions about both of them.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2017, 09:53:01 pm »
And he's complaining about wealthy, posh, privately educated folk? He doesn't mention how many BBC presenters he is related to...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2017, 08:04:20 am »
And he's complaining about wealthy, posh, privately educated folk? He doesn't mention how many BBC presenters he is related to...

I remember his very first restaurant column in The Times where he admitted openly that he knew nothing about food and only got the job because of his name.

That said, he's right about the Hemsleys - they are truly appalling people.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:26:48 am »
Super, thanks  :thumbsup:

[Amazingly, despite the anti-Coren frothing that has resulted on this thread, I am still able to appreciate the central message. And to find some of it funny, oh I feel soooo guilty ... ]

That is an incredibly selective reading of the article. Laughably so in fact  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:46:43 am »
I contain multitudes; I can appreciate the central message of the column (though it's not exactly earth-shatteringly original, is it?), whilst remaining secure in my conviction that Giles Coren is a bit of a (and on occasion, a super-) twat.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:06:20 am »
I think posh people can complain about other posh people. They've not, to my knowledge as a non-posho, signed a mutual defence pact. Mind you, who knows what happens at public school. Well, other than the people who went to public school. And he's right, we've weirded food. No one can simply eat a balanced diet and do some exercise. Oh no. We've got paleo, LCHF, or you can survive on blitzed watercress, or spirula, or something. Or fast every other day, or at weekends, or you can eat backwards, supper for breakfast. Cherry pick a couple of scientific papers. Extrapolate some basic physiology. It's science, I tell you. But be careful because, you know, gluten. It's like eating a fucking malevolent clown. Without chewing. A clown in your guts. That puts the giggles in your the shits. Endless stupid diets and restrictions pounding common sense till it's dizzy. Of course, failure is mostly built into these diets, so people feel shit about the inevitable, when they're face-deep in a gluten-enriched chocolate cake at midnight, excavating it like a demonically-possessed mechanical digger.

I'd rather read restaurant reviews by someone who just eats the bloody food and writes something vaguely entertaining rather than pontificate. Restaurants jumped the shark (and probably served it with an aubergine foam) some time back. I'd rather eat a big, proper Turkish kebab. Proper food.

Coren is sort of AA Gill, you don't have to like him, but he's mostly entertaining. And not dead.

I kind of want a spiralizer though.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:31:46 am »
My wife bought a spiralizer a while ago. My only objection to it is that it is so limited in its range - doesn't work on a lot of vegetables. Spiralized courgettes are pretty good though - just quickly stir-fry them so they still have a bit of bite, then smother them in pesto.

Didn't realise spiralizers were related to the clean food nonsense. I have spiralized courgettes as well as spaghetti, not instead.

I always found AA Gill entertaining but my favourites are Matthew Norman and Craig Brown - funny, insightful and not arseholes.

Coren is a hack. He's also famously rude to sub-editors, which I take personally.

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:35:32 am »
Also, while we're talking about fad diets, Tom Kerridge can do one. He was on 6music this morning to plug his new 'Dopamine Diet' book.

I listen to 6music for lots of reasons, but hearing some gurning idiot tv chef blather pseudoscientific bullshit is not one of them.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:44:40 am »
Everyone is rude to sub-editors.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:53:31 am »
Don't I know it.

« Reply #13 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:19:05 am »
Also, while we're talking about fad diets, Tom Kerridge can do one. He was on 6music this morning to plug his new 'Dopamine Diet' book.

I listen to 6music for lots of reasons, but hearing some gurning idiot tv chef blather pseudoscientific bullshit is not one of them.

His 'Dopamine Diet' book is actually all about Low Carb High Fat. And as someone who lost ELEVEN STONE I think he's allowed to blather a bit of bullshit.

He might be a total twat though, I didn't hear the broadcast. In fact, I don't think there's much 'might' -  he's a tv chef. Goes with the territory.

« Reply #14 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:25:10 am »
There's grumbling about subs butchering your deathless prose, though (I try not to be precious; my take's 'eh, you're paying me'), and then there's the full-on cuntish Coren meltdown. Does he like to take a pop at the wait staff in his columns?

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 23 January, 2017, 01:49:59 pm »
His 'Dopamine Diet' book is actually all about Low Carb High Fat. And as someone who lost ELEVEN STONE I think he's allowed to blather a bit of bullshit.

I don't. Either he's deluded and actually believes the guff he comes out with, or it's a cynical marketing exercise. Either way, wrapping it up in a pseudoscientific veneer is dangerously misleading.

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 23 January, 2017, 01:53:04 pm »
Does he like to take a pop at the wait staff in his columns?

Yes.

ian

« Reply #17 on: 23 January, 2017, 02:36:16 pm »
Well, he wouldn't be very good at being posh if he didn't lay into the staff.

Having been both a waiter and sub-editor at some point in my life, I'm obviously a sucker for the abuse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 23 January, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »
Ah yes. Waiter abuse. We got left a 2p tip by an arse once. It wasn't unexpected, as they'd been a complete arse. I think I said that.

The table next to it was watching closely how I dealt with the tip. I put it in the bin with the other rubbish.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #19 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:35:58 pm »

Don’t eat anything delivered to you by a man on a motorbike

Deliveroo guys iin central Brum seems to be all on Bicycles - does that make them OK?

There is one famous prohibition, espoused by a great many people who claim to know what they are talking about, which goes: “Do not eat anything that your grandmother would not have recognised as food.” But alas that would restrict me to heimische pickles and Silk Cut.

Michael Pollen takes the credit for the original grandmother advice. He's a interesting food writer who says a lot I agree with , but the grandmother advice is based on an American diet not a lifetime of Lancashire hotpot brightened up by an exotic carrot  ::-)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:28:25 am »
Does he like to take a pop at the wait staff in his columns?

Yes.
Well I would disagree with that. I only read his Saturday magazine column (and not every week), but he rarely criticises the wait staff, except when it is relevant to his review of the service provided. I'd say he's negative about the food waaaaaay more often than the staff.

(I'm not saying he isn't a knob, but I cannot recall any evidence of knob-status  in his columns.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #23 on: 10 February, 2017, 10:54:21 am »
I never bought the clean eating fad. Not for a moment. It's just commerce and social consciousness combined to make people follow some new diets and buy new products or brands.
Now, of course, most of the food that we eat today is unhealthy. I know it is, I'm still trying to lose all that junk food weight. It certainly doesn't help that I'm not a particluarly good cook, so I often eat out. When it comes to my cycling travels, it's all the more appropriate. I just look up healthy food restaurants or cafes that can be found on my way. Since the main purpose of any fad is to sell you something, it's not that hard to eat "clean".
not that I'm trying to disrespect people who are into clean eating.

citoyen

« Reply #24 on: 10 February, 2017, 11:51:50 am »
not that I'm trying to disrespect people who are into clean eating.

Why not? They're idiots.