Author Topic: Night Ride Around the Coast 2017 [Isle of Wight] (May 19)  (Read 2416 times)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Night Ride Around the Coast 2017 [Isle of Wight] (May 19)
« on: 22 January, 2017, 09:28:36 pm »
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the hardest night ride in the south of England is returning for its fourth edition. Last year,I came up with a Cunning Plan for both boosting numbers and making a halfway stop possible. Unfortunately, after an initial positive response from contacts over the water, everything went quiet. Well, silent actually.....nonetheless, if enough people are interested it might be worth making enquiries...
So: If you'd like to do lots and lots of climbing on an island in the Solent with no convenient bail-out points, but would only come if there's an actual halfway stop, please express an interest.
And if you'd like to come even if the halfway stop is The car park at the summit of Blackgang, not the roundabout at the bottom, please express an interest. As I'm sure you'd prefer an actual halfway stop too.

Let me be quite clear: Without enough bods, there's no point me even looking for a halfway stop, let alone actually getting a positive answer from somewhere suitable. So if you're interested, even if you'd bail if there was no formal halfway stop, please, with bells on, let me know.

Right, with that over with, what's this ride like then? What's the plan? As per the previous editions, this will not be a formal FNRttC (at least not without that halfway stop), but run very much in the same vein. Route will be thoroughly recced day and night, waymarkers if needed, TECs, no-one left behind, and so on. Rather than write a whole new blurb, I'll (mostly) quote that from previous years:

Meet at the Portsmouth car ferry terminal (a short ride from Portsmouth Harbour station) in time for the 2359 sailing- you'll need to be checked in by 2344 at the absolute latest. Anyone going via an alternative route or an earlier sailing will need to be at the Fishbourne terminal to meet us at quarter to one or so. After the safety talk and letting The Traffic get on its way (there will be more vehicles on the ferry than we'll see the rest of the night ), we will head south and then east, picking up the IOW Randonnee route for a while, thus avoiding the exciting nightlife of Ryde. Round to The Only Shop That Is Open On The Entire Island, Ryde Tesco, for all your retail and rest stop needs. Then on clockwise to Bembridge, Sandown, and Shanklin. The useless quango that is Wight Roads has still not sorted Undercliffe Drive out, sadly. Might get done by the time of the ride, allegedly....Last year we got to ride on some brand-new tarmac so they do get something done.
There is a further rest stop opportunity at Bonchurch (community toilets, open all night) before our half-way stop. Blackgang picnic site, al-fresco, but plenty of benches, and fantastic views. Unlike the roundabout at the bottom....

After that, the coastal road all the way to Freshwater- even if I say so myself, an absolutely glorious stretch, and then to the Needles and Alum Bay. View from the Needles is absolutely glorious, and you don't get it on the Randonnee. Then back north Yarmouth and on to Ryde, probably via Cowes and the chain ferry to East Cowes (the alternative via Newport is rather more prosaic and much busier). Chain ferry fare is £1. Breakfast in Ryde (Wetherspoons were very helpful and did an excellent job for previous rides, many other options available). Return to the mainland either from Ryde (catamaran to Portsmouth Harbour station- ideal for trains but you'll need to buy two singles, and cat tickets are more expensive as well) or four miles back west to Fishbourne (others may prefer to leave us at Yarmouth or East Cowes if it suits better).

Please be aware that this is considerably lumpier than any of the usual FNR routes, something in the region of 4,500 to 5,000ft of climbing. In comparison, London to Brighton, and then back to Pompey, is less than 3500ft, in 50% more miles. This is not a ride for those who are hill-phobic. There are flat sections of road, some visible without the aid of an electron microscope, but it never really settles over the 65 miles or so. Nothing really nasty, there are no Ditchling Beacons (those who did the first year, Cowleaze Hill will not be on the route this time....) but it's a lot of ups and downs. Compact or triple chainsets and sensible cassettes strongly recommended. I have seen people doing the Randonnee on fixed. Suffice to say, on your head be it....You will need good lights- large sections of the route are well-lit, but as much isn't. In view of the very limited bail-out opportunities (there are ferries during the night, but you might have a bit of a wait both to get back to the port and for the boat), please take extra care to check over your bike and kit, and make sure you have spare tubes, tools for non-quick release wheels (been there, done that....), and so on.

If you're interested, please PM or email me (stu underscore affleck at yahoo dot co dot uk) to get on the list, including your CTC or BC number, mobile number and confirmation that you've read the basics. Please also state if you if you'd be OK with an alfresco half-way or would only want something more civilised. Canonical thread is over on Cyclechat here but I'll keep an eye on this one as well.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: Night Ride Around the Coast 2017 [Isle of Wight] (May 19 TBC)
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2017, 05:43:23 pm »
I will add that I did this for my 50th, with a hangover. This is clockwise, which means a steady climb from Niton to the top of St Catherine's and the picnic site, as opposed to the horror that is the ascent from Blackgang. When descending onto Blackgang from the roundabout, BRANEZ may be deposited at the roadside. There is a micrpclimate by Freshwater which usually means a headwind and lower temperatures.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2017, 12:04:25 pm »
I could be up for this, although I'd plan to leave you all at Cowes then go back to Yarmouth and home from there. Yarmouth is also my emergency bailout place as we have a boat with a lid moored there.

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2017, 03:56:46 pm »
Bump. Did the recce last night/this morning. Floating bridge is currently out of action, so endured the Newport-Ryde 'motorway' (possibly the most ridiculous stretch of dual carriageway in Britain). Fingers crossed the chain ferry is back for May 19l Island Roads have actually done some more work, much of the route is now decent tarmac, though plenty of craters remain.

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2017, 02:41:16 pm »
I could be up for this, although I'd plan to leave you all at Cowes then go back to Yarmouth and home from there. Yarmouth is also my emergency bailout place as we have a boat with a lid moored there.

Julia

Sorry I won't be joining you - it's logged as a sailing weekend. Have fun.
Reine de la Fauche

Re: Night Ride Around the Coast 2017 [Isle of Wight] (May 19)
« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2017, 07:51:29 pm »
Sadly won't be able to join you but I did do a lovely circuit around the Isle of Wight a couple of weeks back.  Definitely worth a ride - though might be a shame to do some of it (but not all!) in the dark :-)

I wrote about it here!

Cheers

CO

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2017, 03:25:34 pm »
Sadly won't be able to join you but I did do a lovely circuit around the Isle of Wight a couple of weeks back.  Definitely worth a ride - though might be a shame to do some of it (but not all!) in the dark :-)

I wrote about it here!

Cheers

CO
Nice write-up, thanks!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2017, 03:26:47 pm »
Still on for this Friday. Floating bridge is back running as of yesterday, which saves the delights of the Newport-Ryde 'motorway'. Weather forecast looking OK too.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2017, 07:44:23 pm »
Well, that was a ride of contrasts…

Work finished, as so often on Fridays, dead on 9.30, so no help there in getting to the start on time. But as this is the one night ride when I'm in rather less of a rush, really not a problem. Back home at 10.15 or so, and a fairly relaxed prep before heading down to the harbour at about eleven. Even by the compact and bijou standards of previous rides, this was going to be a small peloton. Eddie was going to get the ferry into East Cowes and then meet us at Tesco. With a flurry of withdrawals & no-shows, that left a mere four for the trip over to Fishbourne- yours truly, Phil from the PWNRPR (who I had ridden with on last year's London-Pompey night jaunt), Nigel and Paul. Having checked the Wightlink website, I knew there would be a delay on the ferry. They said up to half an hour, BBC red button news an hour and a half. Fortunately, neither was the case, and we were on our way just over fifteen minutes late. After disembarking, a pause to let The Traffic out of the way (as usual on this ride, once out of the Ryde area there were far more pedestrians and animals to be seen overnight than anything with an engine, and even the first stretch is very quiet by SE England standards) and a rather more perfunctory safety talk than usual (my usual spot for that had been turned into parking, and we all knew the score anyway), on we went.

Firestone Copse Road (familiar to anyone who's done the IOW Randonnee) was evidence of the good work Island Roads have (eventually) done…and what they've still got to do. First part from Fishbourne is same old same old- potholes, grotty surface (I compared it on the night to teenage acne), all very helpful when you're grinding your way up a slope…and then a little way along all of a sudden you're on lovely, smooth, even tarmac. There was a few sudden transitions like that on other stretches, that made us think 'why couldn't they have done that bit?'. There didn't seem a lot of rhyme or reason to it. The trip to Tesco was uneventful, and we didn't have long to wait for Eddie to make his way round. No-one buying huge bags of cat litter at 2am this time…On we went north to Seaview (obligatory Island weirdness quota filled by bloke who appeared to be on his way to or from nocturnal gardening), then round to Bembridge and Sandown (local foxes causing a rumpus). The Sunshine Trail was thankfully in good nick…then the heavens opened. A trickle at first, then a flood. We resorted to sheltering under a bit of tree cover at the end of the trail for fifteen minutes or so, in the hope that it would ease off…when it didn't we just got on with it. As so often though, rain meant punctures. Paul was the first unfortunate, a flint the culprit.

Having done its job by washing a load of grot onto the road and hiding it, the rain thankfully cleared off, and by the time we climbed Blackgang we were enjoying a bright clear sunrise. It was absolutely glorious! After half-time sandwiches, Phil suffered two punctures in fairly quick succession- thankfully the last mechanicals. After speeding down the rest of the Military Road and grinding up Freshwater Bay, we turned north- we all agreed that getting through Newport ASAP was a better idea than the detour to the Needles.

So, after going through Yarmouth and turning east, we sped along quite nicely thanks to the tailwind. And then came The Motorway. I have previously described this as the most ridiculous stretch of dual carriageway in the entire country- it's a quarter of a mile, doesn't seem to do much if anything for congestion- but it's also thoroughly unpleasant to ride on. It was busy, and nasty even on Good Friday morning. And no less, actually more so, on Saturday morning. Paul said afterwards he was afraid, and frankly I don't blame him. Grim and we beared it. Had the appalling so-bad-it's-really-not-funny chain ferry saga (read tale at link and weep) been resolved by Saturday morning, it would definitely have been the best option, even at £1.50 each. Staplers Road proved to have just as many grindy ups and downs as the A3054 into Wootton Bridge, but was thankfully rather quieter (Lushington Hill in the early morning rush isn't nice at all). Eddie turned off at Wootton to make his way back to East Cowes, the rest of us progressed to Ryde and a well-earned breakfast. Exciting News: black pudding is now an option on the Wetherspoons menu! Very nice it was too. There is also a bagel with smashed (sic) avocado. Which led me to wonder how exactly one smashes an avocado…After many calories we made our way down the pier (no speeding from us or naughty drivers) to the catamaran back to the mainland.

Thanks to the four musketeers for joining me, it was a pleasure (rain notwithstanding). Next year? Yup, this will return. Hopefully with more people…