Author Topic: Eye surgery to correct eyesight  (Read 2652 times)

Eye surgery to correct eyesight
« on: 28 January, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »
Anyone had surgery to correct poor eyesight? Laser or other options? How safe? How much? And can high prescriptions be rectified?

Anyone know about it or had it done?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Eye surgery to correct eyesight
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2017, 09:33:56 pm »
I did wonder about laser surgery myself, but have realised that it doesn't make economic sense in my case.  My near vision is still deteriorating at about half a point per two years.
I only go for a full eye test about every two years.  I've just had one last week, and yup, another half point.
So, if I'd had laser correction 5 years ago when I was considering it, I'd still need glasses today.

Anyone know if it's likely to eventually settle down, or will it just continue to fade away at .25 a year for ever?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2017, 09:38:57 pm »

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2017, 05:19:11 am »
I had laser surgery at Moorfields Eye Hospital 15 years ago. I had a -6.5 prescription in both eyes and astigmatism. It was brilliant, i only wear glasses now for driving or the TV (prescription of -0.25)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2017, 12:19:47 pm »
There are a number of questions wrapped up in this.  I too like Auntie Helen had laser surgery at Moorfields about 15 years ago.  This corrected my shortsightedness and my astigmatism.  At the time I would have been ~40 and I did not wear glasses for about 5-6 years.

I then became middle aged and my lens became stiffer so I could not accommodate as well and started to need reading glasses.  I still have perfect long and middle distance.

I would highly recommend it.

If you have a massive prescription then those are more difficult and my understanding is that they recommend taking out the lens and put in a corrective lens with subsequent laser if needed for astigmatism, etc.  This would be the same as doing a cataract but they use the squishy ones which your pupillary muscles can squash for close focusing, etc.

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2017, 10:06:26 am »
Both eyes are either side of -10! They've been very stable for years. In fact the changes are just the optician's way to earn the company more money i think. The differences between each 2 or 4 year eye tests are insignificant and a are likely to be a subjective decision on the day of the test. By that i mean two options are about the same so i choose the right side one test and left the next. Resulting in 0.25 change, 0.5 at most.

I think that stable characteristic makes me a good candidate for corrective treatment. However the very high prescription is a negative, for everything from cost of glasses to difficulty getting prescription sunglasses that are wearable.

-10 and astigmatism isn't a good state to be in IMHO. Very expensive to get plastic lenses thin enough to look reasobable and impossible for prescription safety glasses for work. I have to live with refractive index of 1.74 i think because above that you have incredibly expensive lenses. Once 1.74 cost £400 per lens! Now it's £90 for both lenses on top of the standard 1.48 refractive lenses. At standard the lenses are 11mm thick. Nearer 5 to 6 mm at 1.74.

So if i went for it then if the last poster is correct I'll need replacement lenses. As in synthetic lenses to replace what came with the rest of me! Then laser shaping afterwards? That sounds too serious an option for my liking. I was hoping a reshaping of the cornea at most.

« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2017, 10:56:57 am »
I did wonder about laser surgery myself, but have realised that it doesn't make economic sense in my case.  My near vision is still deteriorating at about half a point per two years.
I only go for a full eye test about every two years.  I've just had one last week, and yup, another half point.
So, if I'd had laser correction 5 years ago when I was considering it, I'd still need glasses today.

Anyone know if it's likely to eventually settle down, or will it just continue to fade away at .25 a year for ever?

The way I understand it, if you have deteriorating myopia, the laser surgery to correct that effectively halts the decline in your distance vision.  I don't know if it's the same for presbyopia.  (My prescription had been a pretty stable -2ish for 20 years or so.)
I may need reading glasses like chrisbainbridge for close-up work in my middle-to-old age (I'm 35).

The only way to find out whether you're a suitable candidate is to go for a consultation - go armed with a back-history of prescriptions - most firms offer free no-obligation consultations.

I had iLASIK surgery on Thursday evening.  The op itself was painless but my eyes were GUSHING and very light-sensitive on Thursday night.  My vision was a bit blurry to begin with  By Friday morning (after a night wearing the sexy goggles) the streaming had stopped and my eyesight was pin-sharp - as good as it ever was with spectacles.  I had an eye examination at 9am on Friday and was easily able to nail the bottom lines on the Snellen chart - far beyond normal 20/20 acuity.

I'm on three lots of eyedrops for a week (antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and lubricating).  My eyes no longer feel at all gritty, sore or tired.

FWIW I went with Optical Express, it set me back £3,800 (including a £500 discount for having been recommended by a friend).  There at bad things said about them in the dark recesses of the internet (but aren't there bad things said about everything, somewhere?), but the service and care I've had from them has been first-rate.

ETA: I've just seen your follow-up post, TPMB12.  Yep, I think it's likely you'd need lens surgery, which is a different kettle-of-fish altogether from what I had.  My boss was quoted something in the region of £10k for lens surgery at OE.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2017, 11:06:16 am »
I know two people who had laser surgery who have had lasting ill-effects.

Amanda is permanently light-sensitive and has to wear sunglasses when she goes outside, even in winter. 

Mark gets pulsing, flashing lights that explode across his vision.

Both of them are still pleased they had the surgery, so they must think it's worth it.  It scared me off though when they told me about it.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2017, 11:08:33 am »
I had laser surgery probably about 12-13 years ago. Best money I've ever spent, I was about -6.

Can't see a bloody thing in the dark I will admit, driving at night is a bit difficult, but during the day I still have 20/20 vision. It's brilliant.

Even if I needed glasses tomorrow, I'd still think I'd had a brilliant deal out of it. I had astigmatism and also very thin retinas, so I needed some wavefront thing with the laser treatment which cost a fair bit more, but wouldn't hesitate to do it again. They did actually do it twice, they got me to -0.75 the first time, which was obviously good, but not perfect, so took another attempt about a month later (obv didn't have to pay for that)

I used Optimax in Croydon

« Reply #9 on: 30 January, 2017, 11:51:33 am »

The way I understand it, if you have deteriorating myopia, the laser surgery to correct that effectively halts the decline in your distance vision.  I don't know if it's the same for presbyopia.  (My prescription had been a pretty stable -2ish for 20 years or so.)
I may need reading glasses like chrisbainbridge for close-up work in my middle-to-old age (I'm 35).
Laser surgery gives a corrected focus across the board, so you can't change near and distance independently.
I'm -6, and can focus down to about 4" without my glasses. If I had laser, I'd gain good distance vision (hopefully), but my nearest focus would go out to about 18", and I'd want readers.
The loss of near focus with age is due to the lens of the eye stiffening (and a bit to the focussing muscles getting weaker). There's not really anything that can be done, other than perhaps cataract-type surgery to replace your natural lens with a slightly squishy plastic one. I've no idea whether this is an option.