Author Topic: [LEL17] Personal care items for LEL  (Read 16136 times)

Re: Personal care items for LEL
« Reply #25 on: 02 February, 2017, 07:04:39 am »
Remember, flip flops can keep your socks less filthy even if you're not showering but must remove shoes and just want a wee...

... and remember that in most controls, if not all, you will be asked to take off your shoes before you can go anywhere.

edit: my comment is for cleated shoes. If you ride on non-cleated shoes, then you do what you want.

« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2017, 10:44:01 am »
Several folk mentioned the toothpaste.  Only Arabella mentioned paste.

« Reply #27 on: 02 February, 2017, 12:02:23 pm »
Ah, toothpaste...

The Chuck Norris School of Randonneuring :thumbsup: If you get the runs out in the wilds of Teesdale, you can use your route sheet as toilet paper.
That might be the best use of the route sheet, certainly better than the nettle leaves I accidentally used one dark night last year :facepalm:

That's probably even more drastic than, in the darkness, applying toothpaste instead of savlon to a sore bum. (Therefore identical bags not best idea.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 02 February, 2017, 12:25:59 pm »
Remember, flip flops can keep your socks less filthy even if you're not showering but must remove shoes and just want a wee...

... and remember that in most controls, if not all, you will be asked to take off your shoes before you can go anywhere.

edit: my comment is for cleated shoes. If you ride on non-cleated shoes, then you do what you want.

Elasticated plastic 'disposable' overshoes might keep socks clean and be less heavy/bulky than flip flops.
I have not tried these.
They are just a suggestion.

I have never even had cleated shoes...

ETA These seem cheap & cheerful; maybe controls should have a supply for callers to use.

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/251638/disposable-overshoe---easy-slip-of-shoe-cover---bag-of-50-pairs---st-e16610.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAzsvEBRDEluzk96e4rqABEiQAezEOoEMDJ_1f3rNUZNvTJ7iokeTyOenmNKx2tVXf7Mw8p1saAmr18P8HAQ

Sorry to add to controllers' burdens...

« Reply #29 on: 02 February, 2017, 01:27:09 pm »

Elasticated plastic 'disposable' overshoes might keep socks clean and be less heavy/bulky than flip flops.
I have not tried these.

ETA These seem cheap & cheerful; maybe controls should have a supply for callers to use.

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/251638/disposable-overshoe---easy-slip-of-shoe-cover---bag-of-50-pairs---st-e16610.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAzsvEBRDEluzk96e4rqABEiQAezEOoEMDJ_1f3rNUZNvTJ7iokeTyOenmNKx2tVXf7Mw8p1saAmr18P8HAQ

I don't have any issue being asked to take off my cycling shoes before walking on (a wood) control floor; however, the issue is that the helpers and non-riders are all wearing street shoes and this can make the floor really dirty - white cycling socks easily ruined.
The disposable overshoes work very well as do some kind of flip-flops/ sandals, which are a nice relief after cycling shoes!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 02 February, 2017, 01:30:38 pm »

OOI, what about MTB/touring shoes with recessed cleats?

« Reply #31 on: 02 February, 2017, 01:36:17 pm »

I have not tried these.

I don't have any issue being asked to take off my cycling shoes before walking on (a wood) control floor; however, the issue is that the helpers and non-riders are all wearing street shoes and this can make the floor really dirty - white cycling socks easily ruined.
The disposable overshoes work very well as do some kind of flip-flops/ sandals, which are a nice relief after cycling shoes!
Take your socks off.

« Reply #32 on: 02 February, 2017, 01:44:02 pm »

Bought these from ebay
5/10 Pairs White Towelling Open/Closed Toe Hotel Slippers Spa Shoes Disposable

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 02 February, 2017, 01:51:03 pm »

If I were running a control I'd say 'remove' as I wouldn't be able to check individual shoes for degree of cleat recession and would want to leave wooden gym floors unscratched, if possible.

« Reply #34 on: 02 February, 2017, 02:00:00 pm »

There's still enough flex in the sole that the cleat can contact the floor when walking in them. I hear the occasional tell-tale click/scratch sound when I'm walking in my various MTB/touring shoes, especially on the tiled floor in the changing rooms at work.

Cleat covers (for LOOK style cleats) aren't entirely reliable too, they can easily fall off.

The simplest option is to ask for all cleated shoes to be removed.

I never worried about my socks getting wet or dirty at controls, they got wet/dirty enough out on the road and I generally had a clean pair to put on for each day.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #35 on: 02 February, 2017, 02:55:14 pm »
the helpers and non-riders are all wearing street shoes and this can make the floor really dirty - white cycling socks easily ruined.

Don't worry - given the weather that we're bound to get at some point on the way, any white socks worn will be 50 shades of grey by the time you get to the third or fourth control.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #36 on: 02 February, 2017, 03:21:04 pm »

Like that helly .. now how many .. 1500 riders at 19 controls.. that is 28,500 pairs at 1.74 for 50 .. umm just under £1000 .. bringing it to Danials notice .. not currently in budget . but can be added as an extra I reckon.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #37 on: 02 February, 2017, 04:04:36 pm »
For the 2008 1001 Miglia Italia Peter Turnbull took the slippers from the (rather posh) hotel we'd stayed at before the event, and could be seen walking round controls in white fluffy footware something like this

They weren't quite as white 5 days later.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 02 February, 2017, 05:26:25 pm »

Like that helly .. now how many .. 1500 riders at 19 controls.. that is 28,500 pairs at 1.74 for 50 .. umm just under £1000 .. bringing it to Danials notice .. not currently in budget . but can be added as an extra I reckon.

Maybe give each rider 3 pairs in the 'goodie bag' at the start of the ride (total cost~10p) and include suggestion rider keeps shoes for use at controls.

Vague suggestion only; I see no reason why overshoes used for a quick stop must be jettisoned.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #39 on: 02 February, 2017, 05:53:02 pm »
Have a pee before you enter the control - often you can do this outside the town, or in the dark you can get away with a pee in the hedge outside the control. You then don't need to walk to the loo in the control.
Remember your bag drops - taking all this kit on the bike is daft, just put some in your drop bags. Clever arrangement of drop bags can mean you have access twice on the way up and twice on the way back. That gives you access to your bag every 300k, more or less.
The only "personal kit" I'd take is an Ortlieb A6 document case with enough bog roll for one emergency poo. If used it can be replenished at the next control. (It was very useful on WCW in a layby but passengers in a passing car were surprised.)
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #40 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:04:31 pm »
Have a pee before you enter the control - often you can do this outside the town, or in the dark you can get away with a pee in the hedge outside the control. You then don't need to walk to the loo in the control.

I really don't think such advice will enhance the reputation of LEL or cyclists in general, especially near centres of population and definitely by day.

It is impractical for women most of the time anyway. 1500 riders taking a wee five times per day outside controls over 4 days?
30,000 urinations al fresco?

NO THANKS!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:09:04 pm »
Quite.  This isn't France.   :hand:

Plus IME a civilised piss is much quicker than an al-fresco one, even if you have to queue for a bit.  Time spent queuing can be used to eat/digest food, put weight on your knees, fiddle with gadgetry, etc. so isn't totally wasted.

I'll also note than an *emergency* poo requires about 10 times as much bogroll as the usual kind...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 02 February, 2017, 08:52:28 pm »
Several folk mentioned the toothpaste.  Only Arabella mentioned paste.

Your dentist might have tiny toothpaste sample tubes; these can be very handy.

Make sure your teeth have no outstanding issues before LEL.

« Reply #43 on: 02 February, 2017, 09:10:19 pm »
Antibacterial mouth wash for me. As someone upthread said, you are exposed to a whole new world of germs. I am particularly susceptible to mouth ulcers and sore throats in that scenario.
You can buy small bottles in the travel section of Boots etc.

« Reply #44 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:13:20 pm »
Hadn't considered this one - great suggestion.  I find gargling with the stuff keeps a sore throat at bay.  Coming from the far west flank of the colony, I may not have immunity to your local germs.  ;D

Antibacterial mouth wash for me. As someone upthread said, you are exposed to a whole new world of germs. I am particularly susceptible to mouth ulcers and sore throats in that scenario.

« Reply #45 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:35:31 pm »
I looked into the possiblilty of getting some of the hotel / spa slippers for Pocklington, buying direct from china they seemed to be about 30p -50p a pair but have currently changed my mind as I have feeling the stock of them may be seriously reduced by riders thinking these look a great idea for taking with me. The type I looked at where similar to these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wholesale-1-100pairs-Women-Hotel-Disposable-Slippers-For-Travel-Salon-Party-SPA-/172279710764?var=&hash=item281cabc42c:m:m2fYzvBwr_fP5EFcXtqiypw

I also thought the budget could be better spent

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #46 on: 03 February, 2017, 09:42:25 am »
I think we might pick up Helly's suggestion of 3 pairs in each welcome pack.. discussion with DW to come.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #47 on: 03 February, 2017, 10:00:03 am »
Hadn't considered this one - great suggestion.  I find gargling with the stuff keeps a sore throat at bay.  Coming from the far west flank of the colony, I may not have immunity to your local germs.  ;D

I am sure you will be bringing a whole load of maple flavoured germs for us.Works both ways. ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #48 on: 03 February, 2017, 12:12:39 pm »
I think we might pick up Helly's suggestion of 3 pairs in each welcome pack.. discussion with DW to come.

Possibly supplement this with some (behind the counter) stock boxes to boost at the 'later' controls.