Author Topic: Off-beat London  (Read 7896 times)

Re: Off-beat London
« Reply #25 on: 23 February, 2017, 06:53:20 pm »
The London Museum of Water and Steam (used to be the Kew Steam Museum). It's at Kew, so a small schlepp out from the centre.

http://www.waterandsteam.org.uk/

Nearby is the Musical Museum, it's a museum of automated musical instruments. It's great, or it was when I went there some time ago.

http://www.musicalmuseum.co.uk/

You need to turn up at the right time to join a tour so you can watch and hear the instruments. It won't be any fun otherwise.
Wow!
That's come on a bit. Last time I visited, it was operating out of a draughty old church building in Brentford.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:55:05 pm »
Following on the musical theme, what about Longplayer at Trinity Buoy Wharf?

Longplayer is a one thousand year long musical composition. It began playing at midnight on the 31st of December 1999, and will continue to play without repetition until the last moment of 2999, at which point it will complete its cycle and begin again. Conceived and composed by Jem Finer, it was originally produced as an Artangel commission, and is now in the care of the Longplayer Trust.
http://longplayer.org
http://www.trinitybuoywharf.com
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #27 on: 23 February, 2017, 09:07:40 pm »

Longplayer is a one thousand year long musical composition. It began playing at midnight on the 31st of December 1999, and will continue to play without repetition until the last moment of 2999, at which point it will complete its cycle and begin again. Conceived and composed by Jem Finer, it was originally produced as an Artangel commission, and is now in the care of the Longplayer Trust.
Trinity Buoy Wharf is always worth a visit.
All kinds of interesting $h!t goes on there - much of it not widely (if at all) publicised.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #28 on: 23 February, 2017, 09:58:46 pm »

Trinity Buoy Wharf is always worth a visit.
All kinds of interesting $h!t goes on there - much of it not widely (if at all) publicised.
They had a machine wot made nekkid ladies when I went there once. Nekkid, I tell you.

(what's the current state of Fatboys?)

Machine.

Nekkid lady.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #29 on: 23 February, 2017, 10:14:05 pm »
London Transport Museum is great (though Covent Garden isn't exactly un-touristy...)

I've not yet been to the Design Museum in the old Commonwealth Institute but the building's stunning.

The Star of Belgravia is a fantastic Fuller's pub in a mews behind the German Embassy about five minute's walk from Sloane Square - buy TCMR something at one of the jewellers on Sloane St and head there for a refresher?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #30 on: 23 February, 2017, 11:01:55 pm »
London Transport Museum is great (though Covent Garden isn't exactly un-touristy...)

I've not yet been to the Design Museum in the old Commonwealth Institute but the building's stunning.

The Star of Belgravia is a fantastic Fuller's pub in a mews behind the German Embassy about five minute's walk from Sloane Square - buy TCMR something at one of the jewellers on Sloane St and head there for a refresher?

The Star is where the great train robbery is supposed to have been planned.

I went to the design museum on Sunday. The building is lovely but I can't say that I was over impressed with the way the space is used inside. There's very little space used for (free) exhibits, and the labelling of things is very poor - well, things are detailed quite well, so on the info board you might see that in the area in front of you, amongst the cameras no 109 is a Polaroid SX70, but there are no numbers next to the exhibits, so unless you really know your stuff you won't have much idea what a lot of the things are.

However, nearby.... Leighton House Museum is worth visiting, or if that's too on-beat, the Roof Gardens are very nice.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #31 on: 23 February, 2017, 11:43:55 pm »
Ah, yes, I'd forgotten the train robbery connection; perhaps more importantly it's one of the few pubs in the country to have been in every edition of the Good Beer Guide!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #32 on: 24 February, 2017, 03:28:58 pm »
Fatboys has been closed for some time now.  :'(   There's a fancy (relatively speaking) in its place.

When I was last there a few months ago the diner itself was moved off to the side and had a For Sale notice on it.  If I make it out for a ride tomorrow I'll check out current status.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #33 on: 24 February, 2017, 03:31:11 pm »
Tube to Hampstead, and around the corner from the station stroll down Flask Walk and stop in The Flask for a fortifying beverage.  Continue along Flask Walk, perhaps stopping at Burgh House & Hampstead Museum before heading down Willow Road to visit “Erno Goldfinger’s innovative 1939 Modernist house” at no. 2.  If needed, stop in The Freemasons Arms before reaching no. 2.

Next, cross over onto Hampstead Heath, aiming for Parliament Hill and the views of London.  Turn north and work your way up across the Heath to explore the art collection in Kenwood House.  Then cut back west then along the road for a drink/meal at The Spaniards.  Continue along Spaniards Road then down Heath Street, detouring up to The Holly Bush for a drink/meal before returning to Hampstead station.

Caveat: If you plan to eat at either The Spaniards or The Holly Bush then it’s a good idea to make a reservation – they both can get rather busy.

ETA: not particularly off-beat, but it's beyond Zone 1 so I don't consider part of the standard 'things to do in London'.

Love it, you've missed your vocation  :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the other suggestions by the way, keep 'em coming!

I should add:
* Flask Walk has some interesting shops (well, did, last time I was there); and
* Burgh and Kenwood Houses have tea rooms.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #34 on: 25 February, 2017, 05:41:59 am »

I often took the chance to have a swift jar at the Bishop's Mitre on Hatton Garden. Well, kind of on Hatton Garden (the nearest tube station is probably Chancery Lane on the Central Line), you look for a little alleyway with an easily missable sign on a lamp post, follow the alleyway and you get there. Much real ale goodness. Often used to meet friends in their function room - the room was upstairs and one of the friends was a wheelchair user but she loved the pub and didn't want to meet at another venue, so a few of us carried her up the stairs so she could join in.

Last time I visited London I must admit I really enjoyed just walking the streets and seeing the sights, even the really touristy ones. My wife and I walked along the Mall many times, walked through the West End and the City just to see the architecture and take in the buzz. I must admit I got rather tired of it when we lived there, but having the benefit of combining being tourists with knowing the back roads better than the masses meant we could see what we wanted without getting caught up in the crowds when we were ready to move on.

Years ago we had some friends from USAnia come to visit and we took them on a river cruise. I think we started at Westminster and got off at Hampton Court. There may have been an option to go a little further but we were pretty close to the edge of the world so feared falling off into space if we did, so we quit while we were ahead. Then of course from Hampton Court you can see the palace (pretty touristy), take a short walk into Bushey Park (not so touristy) and, if you're so inclined, walk through the park until it spits you out in Hampton Wick near Kingston Bridge. If you end up there, go the roundabout on the west side of the bridge, turn left and shortly after the electric bike shop is a little cafe called Hussars. I've always had good coffee there. Just don't ask for tea if you're easily offended. And, since this is a cycling forum, you'll be very close to Sigma Sport where you can spend sums of money with big scary numbers after the pound sign on very nice bicycles.

If you're really into walking you can walk along the Thames from Kingston to Kew Gardens and further. It's a bit of a trek but if the weather is nice it's nice and picturesque. When I lived in the area I often cycled that way.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #35 on: 07 April, 2017, 04:22:09 pm »
A thumbnail of the plan, most of which has been booked:

Staying at CitizenM, Shoreditch.
Friday evening - dinner at Cafe Spice Namaste
Saturday morning - Westminster Abbey (not very off-beat I know but we've always wanted to visit)
Saturday afternoon - afternoon tea onna Routemaster bus (front seat, upstairs)
Saturday evening - live music at the Nightjar
Sunday - Andrij's Hamstead suggestions

We're really looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 07 April, 2017, 07:09:32 pm »
Looks like an interesting weekend. Being so central, you'll no doubt be looking forward to using the Boris bikes?

Great thread idea ... i've added a couple of items to my 'to-do' list.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #37 on: 16 April, 2017, 01:21:39 pm »
Fatboys has been closed for some time now.  :'(   There's a fancy (relatively speaking) in its place.

When I was last there a few months ago the diner itself was moved off to the side and had a For Sale notice on it.  If I make it out for a ride tomorrow I'll check out current status.
Fatboys was open and trading today - Easter Sunday - although I didn't go in. I confess to being disenchanted with FB's menu and ambience ever since Joe went back to Italy, taking his outstanding pastrami on rye with grilled sauerkraut with him.
Instead, I had breakfast at Bow Creek Cafe which stands on the same plot as Fatboys once did. Eating in there is a bit like eating in someone's front room. At £6.50 I thought their vegetarian breakfast was very good vfm, as well as being freshly made and tasty. I talked with the owner, asking her would an hour be enough notice for her that a dozen cyclists were on their way and in need of feeding.
If you are thinking of going there with a group of cyclists, unannounced - don't. Much as you are welcome, she won't thank you for it as at weekends they are absolutely rammed. It was fairly quiet in there today, but I think that is because Easter. She'll be more than happy to reserve and hold a table for you and as many people as you'd like to bring with you if you call her to make a reservation on the day prior to your visit. Reserve your table by calling 07591 383 757.
Would eat there again. Deffo.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #38 on: 17 April, 2017, 01:28:01 pm »
Its been mentioned but Dennis Severs house is probably the best thing in the whole of London. You have to book. there is nothing else like it, ever.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #39 on: 17 April, 2017, 01:35:06 pm »
Jurek, thanks for the update.

« Reply #40 on: 17 April, 2017, 04:55:32 pm »
Its been mentioned but Dennis Severs house is probably the best thing in the whole of London. You have to book. there is nothing else like it, ever.
Can you eat there?  :P

« Reply #41 on: 17 April, 2017, 08:30:56 pm »
I went to the Museum of London Docklands a couple of weeks ago. OK not really off-beat but it's easy to get to, just round the corner from West Ferry DLR on CS3, and it's free.

Looking at:
http://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/
you would think the house as it is now is a real old house turned into a museum, similar to eg John Soane's Museum. But it's actually "fake", and the website comes across as pompous and up its own backside.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #42 on: 20 April, 2017, 07:39:48 am »
It isn't fake, it is a lifelong artwork. All about atmosphere, like a sort of extreme form of set dressing, but more focussed. It isn't reality either, more like historical reality on steroids. Mind you I am a fan and have been several times - you have to enter into the spirit of the place, and then it becomes quite special. They only let very few people in a time and you have to be silent.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

red marley

« Reply #43 on: 20 April, 2017, 08:06:58 am »
Dennis Severs' house looks really interesting - just my thing. Thanks for the tip.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #44 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:15:17 am »
A thumbnail of the plan, most of which has been booked:

Staying at CitizenM, Shoreditch.
Friday evening - dinner at Cafe Spice Namaste
Saturday morning - Westminster Abbey (not very off-beat I know but we've always wanted to visit)
Saturday afternoon - afternoon tea onna Routemaster bus (front seat, upstairs)
Saturday evening - live music at the Nightjar
Sunday - Andrij's Hamstead suggestions

We're really looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

This ^^^ is pretty much what we did except rather than go to Westminster Abbey on Saturday morning we went down the helter skelter thing at the Olympic Park, Stratford, well I did, twice, as The Current Mrs R bottled it  ;D   After which we got the DLR down to the river for a ride on the cable cars then took a Clipper boat up to Westminster before wending our way to Victoria coach station for afternoon tea.

Oh and on Friday evening we went to The Cocktail Trading Company before dinner.  We had the most wonderful weekend, thanks for all the inspiration  :-*

Some pictures ...

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #45 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:16:37 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #46 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:48:13 am »
Is that a, um, 'deconstructed coffee'?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oscar's dad

« Reply #47 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:54:15 am »
Is that a, um, 'deconstructed coffee'?

It was meant to be a pint of Guinness!  The glass came lying on its side and the white stuff was panacota which you could eat.  You then poured in the black coloured cocktail which is in the jug, a can't remember what was in it but it was very nice and made me a bit pissed  ;D

Cocktails at The Cocktail Trading Company were £10 to £12, those at The Nightjar were about £16.  I appreciate these prices are steep for a drink but when you see the imagination that has gone into designing them and the skill needed to make them plus the superb surroundings they  don't seem quite so expensive.  Both joints were packed and the Nightjar were turning folks away so why charge less?

« Reply #48 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:51:08 am »
right. A deconstructed guinness cocktail then.

Gimme a barrel of rum and some ice, mines the corner of floor near the back.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oscar's dad

« Reply #49 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:58:28 am »
I'll see you there!