Linked Events

• Pedaldog's 21st Atent Ded Yet Day: 15 April, 2017

Author Topic: Celebration  (Read 6655 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Celebration
« Reply #25 on: 11 April, 2017, 12:06:59 am »
I'm being cautious Achilles-wise on this one.  Things seem to be going reasonably well from a cycling perspective (190km last week, albeit no more than 45km in a go), but my walking stamina is low and this weekend is primarily going to be an experiment in how well it stands up to camping (crouching and standing around being a known problem, and somewhat unavoidable where small tents are involved), with a view to surviving the Long Itch tour in May.

So in the interests of being able to stop making things worse if it objects, I'll be coming by car.  I'm planning to stick my mountain bike in the back, on the basis that I keep ending up in Disley with a Brompton, going for a ride because there's non-Birmingham scenery, and inevitably end up comedy off-roading and/or zooming down hills at speeds in excess of R17 swearing about how I should have brought something with proper brakes.

Barakta will be mostly visiting her mum, but I may fetch her for a bit to say hello if plans make sense.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #26 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:45:57 am »
We're not planning to bring the bikes with us.
Do plan to walk up Kinder and a few other hills though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 11 April, 2017, 06:38:44 pm »
I am struggling to get my camping gear organised. We still have TPCs from Phyllis's bungalow and they are, very largely, occupying space that used to be dedicated to TPCs of camping gear. My lovely warm Stormlite sleeping bag is quite important to me on an early-season camping trip as I can get my shoulders in it. Trouble is, I can't find it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #28 on: 11 April, 2017, 09:07:48 pm »
This is looking like one of those weekends that wasn't meant to be...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #29 on: 12 April, 2017, 02:54:24 am »
Last minute Larry here also.
Need to get all the gear out and sorted. Not got anything out yet.
Car MOT runs out on Monday night so we'll be coming home sometimes before then  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 12 April, 2017, 09:42:17 am »
OK, we aren't travelling up today. This was the intention when the history syllabus demanded that we photograph Hardwick Hall, which we are no longer required to do. Haven't ruled out tomorrow yet, but...

1. I am struggling to find my camping kit, especially my lovely warm Stormlite sleeping bag. This is because the house is full of TPCs and much of the camping gear has been buried under an avalanche of knitted and crocheted things which have been the fruit of my wife's needles over many years, even though they have nowhere to go. This avalanche was caused by Dez clearing out another room quite a few months ago. This can be remedied by buying more camping kit, but see TPCs above.

2. Jan has had a rotten cold for a couple of weeks and her asthma is giving her a lot of difficulty at night. Not staying in a tent seems like a good idea, and of course Clare's bungalow is only 13 miles away.

3. I have been on the verge of getting a cold for about 6 or 7 weeks and it seemed to be developing properly yesterday evening. Now it has gone away again.

4. Clare phoned. We were to be giving her a lift dahn sarf next week so that she could visit a family friend (Anne) in Eastbourne, a lady who has cancer. This was all to be timed around her chemotherapy sessions, one of which was planned or this week. That was postponed and lady in question decided to return to Stalybridge in order to do something with her late parents' bungalow and to give Clare a lift back to Eastbourne herself ( ::-)). (Clare drives, but refuses to go on motorways or any distance out of her local area). Given that this would undoubtedly put us into contact with Anne, two people with nagging throat infections are not ideal company for someone on chemotherapy.

5. In the night my right knee has decided, for no apparent reason, to become extremely painful. I suspect that by this time tomorrow it will be behaving as though butter wouldn't melt in its mouth.

So that's where we are. Sarfend, for the moment.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #31 on: 12 April, 2017, 01:45:28 pm »
Tomorrow is looking as though it's on. I am intending to camp, with car. Jan will be staying with Clare and they will be visiting as and when. Off out to buy stuff in a tick.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #32 on: 12 April, 2017, 06:46:41 pm »
Jan and I will set off tomorrow. The plan is for us to make straight for the campsite where I will pitch my tent and Clare will join us for a meal later we hope, and then take Jan back.

Anyone else for a pub dinner?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:16:49 pm »
It is decreed that we will bring two bikes - the Circe and Jan's Thorn. That allows for the eventuality that I cycle alone (choice of steeds), Jan and I cycle (Circe) or Clare joins us (Clare stokes, Jan rides her Thorn). If three of us are awheel, I would expect nothing more exciting than the Sett Valley trail.

If Jan and Clare decide that cycling isn't for them, then if you fancy a potter somewhere, Kim, I'm upfrit. Could be car-assisted, or straight out the door, with tandem or solos. Winnatts isn't too far away.  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:15:19 pm »
And I have managed to get a Circe and a Thorn in the car! I think I can get them out again as well.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #35 on: 13 April, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »
Traffic horrible. So much so, in fact, that the bladder filled faster than the battery emptied.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #36 on: 13 April, 2017, 02:05:34 pm »
I have booked a table for 3 for 7pm at the Packhorse. 01663 749126  If anyone wants to join us you are more than welcome. Table booked for Walker.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 13 April, 2017, 05:35:58 pm »
Charging at Tibshelf. God, it has been tedious.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #38 on: 13 April, 2017, 05:39:59 pm »
Meal put back to 8pm.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #39 on: 13 April, 2017, 10:53:05 pm »
Have seen the Clauflies and I am pretty well ready for bed. Must have one more trip to the bog first though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 13 April, 2017, 11:07:11 pm »
I've rounded up a sufficiency of camping stuff.  I have the car from 1pm tomorrow.  Plan is to head to barakta's mum's in Disley and hang around there for a bit, before heading to the campsite on my own.  Looks like it's planning to chuck it down for most of tomorrow afternoon, so there doesn't seem much point in rushing.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #41 on: 14 April, 2017, 01:12:51 am »
Just in from work, most of our stuff is ready so just load and go in the morning  :thumbsup:
Looking forward to it, have the larger of our tents so we can sit in the front and cook if needed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 14 April, 2017, 12:18:18 pm »
Our big tent isn't ALC-compliant, so I'm bringing the Banshee.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 14 April, 2017, 01:34:03 pm »
Packed up and about to set off to barakta's mum's.  Weather looks like it's trying to happen.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 14 April, 2017, 03:39:27 pm »
Charging at Sandbach.  Some minor traffic jams on the way up.  Weather is starting to happen.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 14 April, 2017, 05:18:55 pm »
Slow charging and straightening legs in Disley.  Not impressed by that weather.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 14 April, 2017, 09:38:21 pm »
Pitched up and found most of team YACF.  The weather continues to impress.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #47 on: 15 April, 2017, 12:38:19 am »
Hope you're having a good weekend at Hayfield. I would've liked to be there today, my 21st Rebirth-Day, but I'm going to make sure I celebrate having 7,670 days of life that I wasn't expected to have. I'm aiming to be at Clitheroe in August and planning for a bit of an Itch' in the not too distant future too.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #48 on: 15 April, 2017, 03:32:28 am »
Would be good to see you, PD. It was nice to hear Kim's voice yesterday, albeit  through very wet ripstop. I am only half camping at the moment: I have been sleeping in the tent but eating indoors, having two non-campers in the forms of Jan and her sister to take into account. Hopefully that will change a bit tomorrow as they are supposed to come out here early* and partake in some sort of physical activity.

*traditionally, for Jan's family, mid-afternoon is considered early

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 15 April, 2017, 09:13:00 pm »
Today there was hiking in high winds, cow-muddy off-roading (including a ford where Nothing happened) and what Nye describes as "another adventure to somewhere else".

Here's Wowbagger walking one of the less technical bits:

And this post in the Fords thread also refers.