Poll

Can you carry a bag on one shoulder for an hour or two?

Sure, no problems, any weight really
5 (13.5%)
Anything under 5kg
14 (37.8%)
Maybe something smallish like a small laptop (2kg)
8 (21.6%)
Something light, like a purse-sized object, but no heavier
6 (16.2%)
No way, it is uncomfortable within minutes
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: 17 March, 2017, 09:36:29 am

Author Topic: Backs and bags  (Read 2904 times)

Backs and bags
« on: 15 March, 2017, 09:36:29 am »
Curiosity is sparked by the BBC news article. I've never been able to tolerate carrying something on one shoulder, not even when I was young and strong. Recently I've found out that medical treatment I had when young usually results in extreme scoliosis, so not being able to tolerate carrying objects on one shoulder for any length of time makes sense.

But I'm curious to know if this is also other people's experience. I've never been able to understand the popularity of shoulder bags, 'messenger bags', because I simply can't carry them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Backs and bags
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2017, 10:19:29 am »
Handbags - including larger shoulder-bags - are for women.

Men should use rucksacks (or attaché case for important docs, or gun, minitiaure camera etc).

And a white wine for the lady ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2017, 10:35:09 am »
My brother developed problems when at school by carrying his satchel on one shoulder.  I never really had a problem, despite the weight of the many books I carried around (I once turned up at primary school carrying two bags, containing 32 books in total - all of which I was in the midst of reading.

But I did develop back problems later.  This cold have been more associated with my work at the time - stage crewing, so lifting awkward loads and moving from hot venues to cold trucks over again.  Also, our family have short legs and long backs, which is an issue.  Aaaand, let's face it, I do carry around a bit more weight than is strictly necessary or desirable.

But I haven't really had serious back trouble for a long time (excepting when I drove a lot about ten years ago).

I usually carry a mid-sized rucksack carrying personals (money, keys, phone, cameras (usually two, but small), phone chargers and batteries, SAK, coat/spare clothing, water bottle, flask, medicines...).  Not sure how much it weighs, but I usually carry it on one shoulder.  Larger rucksacks are carried on both shoulders, but we don't do a lot of backpacking

That said, I can't really ride a bike with anything on my back at all.  I think messenger bags look cool, but just are not the solution for me.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2017, 11:03:17 am »
I've never actually tried a messenger bag of the cycling sort, but back when I was a motorcycle messenger* of course I used something similar. The things in it tended to be bulky rather than heavy and obviously your back and shoulders are more static than when cycling or walking, and back then I was "young and strong". Well, young anyway. Nowadays I'll quite happily shopping in a backpack on one shoulder, which probably weighs more than 5kg but I'm not carrying it far. In fact, that can be easier for me than both shoulders, as the other shoulder has a scar which I can still sometimes feel under weight.

*Or whatever term you prefer. Messenger? Didn't actually carry messages. Dispatch rider? This was the term we used, but it does sound a bit military and nobody can agree whether it's dispatch or despatch. Courier? Makes it sound as if you're accompanying something urgent and important.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2017, 11:23:01 am »
i too cannot carry a rucksack without significant arm pain.  I tend to use a hip belt to carry the load for anything other than short distances.

This is probably a mild form of thoracic outlet syndrome

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2017, 12:06:57 pm »
I've said "anything under 5kg", which is about the limit of weight that I'd carry around without special preparation.  Heavily disclaimered by the fact that I can't really walk/stand for 2 hours without knee trouble, so I'm unlikely to be holding it that way for anywhere near as long.  I don't have known back problems, which is fortunate given my misatched legs; I stand weirdly instead.

In the real world, I have a small rucksack which is a substitute for adequate pockets.  If I have to walk a proper distance (more than a few hundred metres) I'll use both straps for comfort.  If I have to carry more than about 5kg I'll use a bicycle, motor vehicle or in extreme circumstances a large rucksack that distributes weight properly and expect some knee trouble.  I used to carry shopping this way before I got a car (and subsequently re-discovered bicycles), and it didn't do my knee any favours at all.

I have a Brompton C-bag, which is a messenger-style bag that attaches to the front luggage block.  Very occasionally, after leaving the bike somewhere, I'll deploy the strap in order to use it to carry a laptop around or as a substitute for adequate pockets.  Normally I just hoik it briefcase-style by the handle alongside the folded bike for very short distances in a multi-modal style, otherwise the bike takes the strain (riding, wheeling or as a trolley).

I think it's teenagers who suffer most:  Early secondary years mean you're doing a dozen subjects taught by different teachers, most with the expectation that you'll carry their heavy textbook in on the relevant days.  Tactical load-shedding is determined by the likelihood of needing the textbook multiplied by the severity of bollocking for not having it.  Add a ring-binder full of notes, other equipment, possibly some lunch and you've got a densely packed small rucksack, which fashion dictates must only be worn by a single strap unless you're a saddo or certified FOREIGN (with special exemption applying when both hands are needed for carrying additional stuff).  Now add a large bag with three permutations of PE kit, because obviously they can't give you advance notice of what you'll be doing in a given session.  Finish off with a large art/design folder and/or musical instrument for maximum awkwardness, and forget about usable lockers. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2017, 12:13:44 pm »
I am not voting as I can no longer walk.

I would tolerate a handbag, worn on one shoulder, if the contents were the minimal purse, tissues keys, hairbrush items but usually wore it satchel fashion, across the body.

When we gave up white coats for work and used handbags for stethoscope, pens and sundries, it was always across the body but I soon used a bumbag.

I've never carried much on my puny shoulders, always preferring a rucksack.

Partner can't get on with rucksacks at all.

« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2017, 03:27:51 pm »
I've never been a fan of actual handbags, but I do use a very small messenger bag as my everyday carrying-stuff-around bag; I don't load it with very much weight, though. I prefer it to a rucksack as it's easier to access the contents quickly with less faff (e.g. if I want to get my wallet or phone out without taking a whole bag off my back).

For bigger loads, I'll use a rucksack, but I try to avoid wearing one on the bike, as my tolerance for cycling with stuff on my back is pretty low, and I'd rather let the bike take the strain if I can.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 15 March, 2017, 04:07:49 pm »
When mini-rucksacks became the handbag thing I used those on and off the bike quite a bit.

They are, of course, useless in a wheelchair.

Bumbags are the only thing for me now.

I have never been able to tolerate cycling with any kind of shoulder bag or larger backpack.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2017, 04:23:56 pm »
When cycling with a backpack, I find width is as important as weight. The narrower and lighter the better. I don't like looking over my shoulder and seeing a mass of backpack! Better to put it on the bike in one way or another, definitely.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 15 March, 2017, 04:32:59 pm »
I found my back got too sweaty; sometimes even a brevet card in a plastic bag in a rear pocket would leave me uncomfortable!

« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2017, 04:39:23 pm »
I am asking specifically about carrying things by a single strap on a shoulder.

While I can't tolerate even a 500g weight on a single strap bag, I have no problems carrying a 20kg rucksack all day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2017, 04:59:47 pm »
For sensible weights (up to about 'lunch and a small laptop') I find a rucksack carried by a single strap more comfortable than a messgenger type bag, though you tend to need a free hand to keep it there.  Phantasmagoriana's point about ease of access is a good one, and they are better when heavily loaded (though with a real load I'll use a rucksack properly).  I dislike straps that dig into my neck.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2017, 05:13:34 pm »
I am asking specifically about carrying things by a single strap on a shoulder.

While I can't tolerate even a 500g weight on a single strap bag, I have no problems carrying a 20kg rucksack all day.

I can't do single shoulder in vertical shoulder mode for much or long.
Diagonal satchel type baggage is a totally different entity and tolerable for hours, up to 4kg.

« Reply #14 on: 15 March, 2017, 06:08:12 pm »
I voted something light only. But it isn't just the discomfort factor- its a right pain when the thing keeps slipping off. I tend to put the thing over  my body so it's on the opposite shoulder to avoid that.
I don't really do handbags. If it's too big to fit in a pocket then a rucksack is my next choice.

« Reply #15 on: 16 March, 2017, 10:15:57 am »
I put something lightish under 2kg but in reality I've always bought rucksacks and always use both straps - otherwise I'm not getting my value for money. I've done lots of hiking since my early teens so I was probably swayed by that since then.

It's practical, comfortable and why put strain on one side when you don't have to?!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Chris N

« Reply #16 on: 16 March, 2017, 10:27:26 am »
I don't mind carrying a courier bag on the bike and am happy with a few kg (lunch, tools, shirt, etc.) for riding for a few hours - the weight is quite nicely spread across my back and stays in place if I use the stabilising strap on my Timbuk2 bag.  Don't like carrying it for long periods of time while walking though and prefer a rucksack on both shoulders if I'm going to be carrying loads for long.

« Reply #17 on: 16 March, 2017, 10:42:54 am »
I was assuming this question was about bikes, and voted anything under 5kg. I use a messenger bag of I need to take stuff to/from work, but the heavier/bulkier it gets the harder it is to keep it in the right place.
When walking, I can carry much more in a sports bag over 1 shoulder, but for much less time. If I wanted to carry anything any distance, I'd want to use a rucksack.

tys

« Reply #18 on: 16 March, 2017, 11:03:18 am »
When walking with a small rucksack I tend to just use 1 strap as I find the reduction in sweat is preferable to having the weight evenly balanced. I have even done this with a full pack for short periods to allow my back to dry.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #19 on: 16 March, 2017, 11:13:31 am »
My work satchel has a shoulder strap, which I only rarely use. Prefer to carry it with one hand like a briefcase, the handle is very comfy and I usually swap from one hand to the other as I walk to and from the station. It's probably around 4kg or more on a busy day. Sometimes I have an additional courier style bag with heavy documents, which I tend to wear with the strap across my body, musette or military style. I wouldn't want to walk like that for hours but 15-20 minutes is okay.

I will wear a small rucksack on one shoulder if it only has light stuff in it. If full of shopping, picnic or camping gear I use both straps: it's just common sense.

I used to cycle with a courier bag when younger, and still do occasionally if riding a bike without a pannier rack or saddlebag. As others have said this is different as it's across the back. There's a waist strap too which stops it from sliding round or swaying about.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #20 on: 17 March, 2017, 09:32:20 am »
I usually carry a shoulder bag but like others across the body if possible. No problem with heavy ones though.

Saying that my shoulder is wrecked. I don't have pain but doing yoga has exposed that I have much less movement in my right than my left shoulder.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #21 on: 18 March, 2017, 12:25:05 pm »
Well I broke my own habits yesterday by carrying both a small rucksack (on both shoulders) and a large IKEA blue bag on one shoulder, with a 10kg Apple iMac in it. Walked to the station, about 1/2 mile, got on train, walked another mile at the other end. Only walked the last bit because I didn't have the right change for a bus. Very awkward load, too big to carry comfortably. Can only really shoulder that kind of weight on the right, when I had to swap occasionally I just carried shopping bag style with left hand. Plenty of stops along the way to rearrange load, swap sides, etc. Definitely preferable to take that kind of weight in a backpack with waist and chest belt. Otherwise doable, but can't say it was fun exactly. Good exercise I suppose!

Had a slightly stiff neck last night but fine today. Must have been all that practice shouldering sports holdalls full of school books as a kid in the late 1970s/early 1980s...
Embrace your inner Fred.