Author Topic: Bristol - old Severn Bridge route?  (Read 1997 times)

Chris N

Bristol - old Severn Bridge route?
« on: 02 May, 2017, 08:12:42 pm »
Any recommendations for a route from central-ish Bristol (Old Market/St Jude's) to the Severn Bridge?  Would be riding it at lunch time on a Friday, and am reasonably happy with traffic.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bristol - old Severn Bridge route?
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2017, 08:20:06 pm »
I would go past the Volunteer Tavern and the Holiday Inn (or whatever it is) cross the lights into Portland Place, up Gloucester Road until you're opposite this Esso garage
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5309986,-2.5697173,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg_yh6bp_ikQsP0BdUUbYRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
where I'd go left, straight on at the roundabout along Coniston Drive, right past the BMX track into the back of Aztec West, out to the roundabout, left there back on to the A38, which I'd follow as far as Fern Hill. Down Fern Hill, through Tockington and Olveston, from there it's a straight line to the Bridge.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2017, 08:30:48 pm »
Do you want short or scenic?

I went along the harbour then down the gorge road last Friday, then up near Pilning. I can post the track if you're interested.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2017, 08:40:47 pm »
Thanks Cudzo. :thumbsup:  The A38 is OK to ride on then?  Seems relatively straightforward, except the jiggle through Aztec West - I guess to avoid the underpass.  After Tockington I know where I am.

Matt: shorter the better - I'll be heading on to Mid Wales so would like to get out of town as quickly as possible.  But post your track too please, could be useful. :thumbsup:

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2017, 09:17:45 pm »
If you're starting in Old Market you could go up the cycle path to Fishponds and then head over to Hambrook, Gaunt's Earthcott and then as Cudzo describes. Route is here https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20806977

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2017, 09:54:00 pm »
I would go past the Volunteer Tavern and the Holiday Inn (or whatever it is) cross the lights into Portland Place, up Gloucester Road until you're opposite this Esso garage
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5309986,-2.5697173,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg_yh6bp_ikQsP0BdUUbYRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
where I'd go left, straight on at the roundabout along Coniston Drive, right past the BMX track into the back of Aztec West, out to the roundabout, left there back on to the A38, which I'd follow as far as Fern Hill. Down Fern Hill, through Tockington and Olveston, from there it's a straight line to the Bridge.

Brings back memories. I used to ride almost exactly that route regularly in the 1970s on my Raleigh Striker (and no helmet or hivis!). Back in those days Aztec West was just fields (but still a roundabout). Hmm, jumpers for goalposts eh wot!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2017, 06:54:29 am »
Thanks Cudzo. :thumbsup:  The A38 is OK to ride on then?  Seems relatively straightforward, except the jiggle through Aztec West - I guess to avoid the underpass.  After Tockington I know where I am.

Matt: shorter the better - I'll be heading on to Mid Wales so would like to get out of town as quickly as possible.  But post your track too please, could be useful. :thumbsup:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20818069
(hope that works)

Doesn't include the VERY centre of town, as I expected to deviate according to what cafe I was tempted by! I rode thru in peak Friday rush-hour, so used the psychopath all along the A4. It's nice-n-wide. Traffic after I turned north was fine, and zilch once I got into the lanes. Should be fine for you at lunchtime.

(Inspired by advice from various locals - thanks chaps!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2017, 10:33:52 am »
It's not actually an underpass, just a dip under a bridge with a corresponding rise up the other side. But the point of the jiggle is to make the Aztec West roundabout simpler – that's the only dodgy bit of the A38 all the way up to Tewkesbury (or further) IMO. The A38 heading south from Bristol is another matter entirely and best avoided.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2017, 09:00:16 pm »
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20836015

alternative to a bash up the A38

the A38 is quicker but I've only ridden it with Bristol-ites who could get me in the correct lane at the right time

Chris N

« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2017, 11:42:23 pm »
Thanks all, very useful.  I've plotted Cudzo's route as it looks the simplest, but I'll keep the others in mind for the future.

Will be heading to Usk, Abergavenny and over the Gospel Pass to Hay then following the Wye to Rhayader, hoping to take advantage of a bit of a tailwind this Friday. :thumbsup:

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:09:49 am »
Rode the A38 out of Bristol on Friday.  Was a bit of a culture shock for a country boy, but good enough and would do it again.  A bit busy until Filton but the rest of the route was fine.  Chepstow - Raglan and the Gospel Pass were great. :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2017, 07:36:45 pm »
Thanks all, very useful.  I've plotted Cudzo's route as it looks the simplest, but I'll keep the others in mind for the future.

Will be heading to Usk, Abergavenny and over the Gospel Pass to Hay then following the Wye to Rhayader, hoping to take advantage of a bit of a tailwind this Friday. :thumbsup:

If you look at the web site for Saturday's Bryan Chapman Memorial audax, the route sheet provided there takes you from just over the bridge to Rhyader
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2017, 07:45:37 pm »
I've ridden that often enough, thanks. ;)