Author Topic: Theft insurance  (Read 3816 times)

Theft insurance
« on: 19 March, 2017, 08:05:32 pm »
Does anyone know of a company that offers insurance without needing a rated lock? I'm sure someone has said there is one but I can't track it down...

John

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Theft insurance
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2017, 08:11:12 pm »
LV House insurance, cycle is required to be locked to an immovable object, no lock specification.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2017, 08:51:42 pm »
Cheers, I shall investigate.

Is there a limit to the value of the bike do you know?

John

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2017, 09:17:31 pm »
Over a certain value (1.5k) they have to be named on the policy - not found a limit and there doesn't seem to be one stated in the policy I could see.

There isn't a definition of immovable object but looking at other policies it just means something which can not be lifted over or under the bike or something like that, so I'm taking that as a chair would be no good, but a lamp column would be fine... 
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2017, 07:26:33 am »
Fantastic,

The only other question, does it cover the bike away from the house?

John

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2017, 10:06:07 am »
Pedalcover house insurance (a wrapper for Axa) ticks all your boxes. No need to list the bikes. Nice people too.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2017, 11:48:52 am »
Fantastic,

The only other question, does it cover the bike away from the house?

John

Yes, its basically personal possessions away from home cover

Pedal cycles (optional cover)
This section only applies if selected by you and shown as covered on your schedule.
Pedal cycles being property belonging to you or your family, or for which you or they are
legally responsible. The most we will pay for any one pedal cycle and its accessories is
 the value shown against it on your schedule.
We will provide cover for any loss or damage to pedal cycles in Europe and up to 60 days
worldwide in any one period of insurance.
We will not pay for:
n theft of any pedal cycles away from your home, unless locked to an immovable object
or within a locked building;
n theft of pedal cycle accessories unless they are stolen with the pedal cycle;
n loss or damage whilst racing, pace-making or taking part in time trials;
n motorised pedal cycles.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2017, 12:32:53 pm »
Many thanks all, plenty to ponder!

John

« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2017, 12:43:54 pm »
You might like to take a look at the following article. It lists the various aspects of cover you should be aware of, and also includes a table further down the article with a comparison of a few different insurer's products.

https://boughtbymany.com/news/article/best-home-insurance-bikes-pedal-cycles/

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2017, 01:49:28 pm »
Question is, why would you not want to use a rated lock?

The circumstances under which inswerants companies will pay out where you wouldn't be able to use a nice big lock are very few.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2017, 03:22:52 pm »
Pedalcover house insurance (a wrapper for Axa) ticks all your boxes. No need to list the bikes. Nice people too.

Seconded.
I recently changed my contents / bike insurance to this lot.
~£40.00 reduction in premium with a policy much more closely aligned to my requirements and as MM states, nice people to talk to.
In the event of a claim, they advise me that they will do all the discussing with Axa - I won't have to.

« Reply #11 on: 21 March, 2017, 11:56:28 am »
Question is, why would you not want to use a rated lock?

The circumstances under which inswerants companies will pay out where you wouldn't be able to use a nice big lock are very few.

When on an Audax/ other long ride, where I don't want to have to lug a very heavy gold rated lock for the short cafe/ shop stop.

It'll generally be in low risk areas but if the worst happened I'd want to be covered if I'd only used a flimsy cafe lock...

John

dim

« Reply #12 on: 21 March, 2017, 01:04:57 pm »
I use wiggle insurance and opted for the Elite package .... I have my S-Works and Giant TCR fully insured and it costs me £18 per month

I've just bought my son a Canyon Endurace AL (full Ultegra)  bike and am in the process of taking out insurance with Wiggle .... replacement value is £1246.00 and the quote for the elite package is £12 per month

they have cheaper options, but the Elite offers a lot more:... also, when you add a 2nd bike, it's a lot cheaper for the 2nd .... I have to take out a seperate insurance for him, as he is over 21 years old

https://cycleinsurance.wiggle.co.uk/

You need to send them 2 photo's of the bike, plus a photo of the serial number, and a photo showing the Gold rated lock .... I own an OnGuard D-Lock which is not on their list of approved locks, but they accepted it as I gave them the link to the internet showing them that it is gold rated. I don't leave my bikes locked in public places and they stay indoors at home

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #13 on: 21 March, 2017, 05:04:47 pm »
I looked at wiggle and it looked like good value, but they require a decent lock and I don't want a heavy lock on Audaxes. I carry enough junk as it is!!

John

« Reply #14 on: 21 March, 2017, 07:49:08 pm »

Seconded.
I recently changed my contents / bike insurance to this lot.
~£40.00 reduction in premium with a policy much more closely aligned to my requirements and as MM states, nice people to talk to.
In the event of a claim, they advise me that they will do all the discussing with Axa - I won't have to.

Thirded.

Something over a hundred quid cheaper (for buildings and contents in London), significantly better cover, and quick, personal service.

Admittedly, I've only been sold to so far, so can't speak for the claims experience ... but Ts&Cs appear pragmatic.

dim

« Reply #15 on: 21 March, 2017, 09:06:20 pm »
I looked at wiggle and it looked like good value, but they require a decent lock and I don't want a heavy lock on Audaxes. I carry enough junk as it is!!

John

that also crossed my mind, but what are the chances that your bike will be stolen during an audax?.... you can still use a lighter hiplock or similar and if your bike is not stolen, you are covered for things such as:

Accidental Damage
Global Travel Cover
Active / Sports Cover
Transition Cover
Replacement Cycle Hire
Taxi Fare Reimbursement
Personal Accident
Public Liability
Emergency Private Medical & Dental Treatment
Emergency Physiotherapy
Free Legal Advice

plus lots more ....

worth paying a few bob more IMHO, especially if you cycle lots

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #16 on: 03 May, 2017, 07:21:35 pm »
Just a quick follow up. I've got a quote from pedalcover and it is loads cheaper than my current one and it totally ticks all my boxes. Very pleased!

I could lock my bike to a lamppost in the middle of London with a cafe lock and it would be insured! Perfect.

Many thanks for the help all!

John

« Reply #17 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:49:40 pm »

John

that also crossed my mind, but what are the chances that your bike will be stolen during an audax?.... you can still use a lighter hiplock or similar and if your bike is not stolen, you are covered for things such as:

Accidental Damage
Global Travel Cover
Active / Sports Cover
Transition Cover
Replacement Cycle Hire
Taxi Fare Reimbursement
Personal Accident
Public Liability
Emergency Private Medical & Dental Treatment
Emergency Physiotherapy
Free Legal Advice

plus lots more ....

worth paying a few bob more IMHO, especially if you cycle lots

I've just skimmed the docs, and they won't cover you if you're not complying with the highway code recommendations: light coloured clothing/fluorescent, reflectors including pedal reflectors, helmet. They also won't pay recovery to nearest station if you're more than 30 miles from home. Emergency medical treatment appears to be limited to £300, less an excess.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 03 May, 2017, 09:25:00 pm »
I think Andrij had a bike nicked at an audax a few years ago.

You could really clean up at the end of the Dun Run: hundreds of unlocked bikes with no-one watching them, and lots of vehicle movements including vans and lorries.  never actually heard of theft there, though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 04 May, 2017, 12:19:47 am »
You could really clean up at the end of the Dun Run: hundreds of unlocked bikes with no-one watching them, and lots of vehicle movements including vans and lorries.  never actually heard of theft there, though.

I've suggested this before, and you wouldn't even need to commit a crime.  Just turn up with a van and offer people a way-below-market-rate price for their bikes, and throw in a lift to the station.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:27:50 am »

Two were taken from outside a control on the London-Wales-London last weekend (although, thanks to the subsequent intervention of Iddu The Enforcer, they were mysteriously returned the next day).
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #21 on: 11 May, 2017, 09:19:54 pm »
I caught mention of that on the LWL thread but didn't see any actual details of what occurred.

Is more info available anywhere because I'm most intrigued?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 11 May, 2017, 11:09:25 pm »

Two were taken from outside a control on the London-Wales-London last weekend (although, thanks to the subsequent intervention of Iddu The Enforcer, they were mysteriously returned the next day).

I seem to recall bikes getting stolen from the start of LEL 2009 and the Audax community lending a bike to the unfortunate victim but I'm not too clear...