Author Topic: Free screening of Brevet in Kensington, 28 March  (Read 2766 times)

Free screening of Brevet in Kensington, 28 March
« on: 08 March, 2017, 12:22:46 am »
The next Bikeminded film, on Tuesday 28 March, is a German film called "Brevet" about Paris-Brest-Paris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-o5rd-D_bE

To get your free entry to this bijou cinema in Kensington, click the link below
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/bikeminded-film-club-28-march-2017-tickets-31757749283

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Free screening of Brevet in Kensington, 28 March
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:42:01 am »
Looks fun - booked a place.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2017, 10:00:52 am »
We saw this last week and it certainly brings back memories.  For the non-German speakers (like me) it does have sub-titles!
Multiple bike owners will love the Paris apartment bicycle parking cameo in the pre-event build up.

Recommended.

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2017, 01:53:32 pm »
Thanks Rich. I've registered.

« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »
Playing spot-the-AUK is surprisingly difficult though - how unreasonable of German film-makers not to show (many) British ...

« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2017, 06:04:27 pm »
It was originally a half hour show for TV in Hamburg, so the core is obviously German. I understand that they want to have a stall at LEL to promote their DVD.
That's what got me thinking about reviving the Audax Film Festival idea. The director could be on the panel of judges. I did ask him if he fancied making an LEL film, but they're busy with other projects.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2017, 09:06:57 pm »
Playing spot-the-AUK is surprisingly difficult though - how unreasonable of German film-makers not to show (many) British ...

A rather shattered Drew Buck is featuring, though.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2017, 10:28:02 pm »
Yes, there are some exceptions ... (Some background action from ACB jersey wearers too.)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2017, 01:09:58 pm »
I'm going - despite having mixed memories of PBP.....So far, 1 Completion 2011   :), and 2 DNF's 2007 and 2015. :(
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Redlight

« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2017, 09:47:52 pm »
So, who else will be there?

« Reply #10 on: 27 March, 2017, 02:05:53 pm »
I will............and looking forward to it.

Redlight

« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2017, 06:34:32 pm »
Sadly, now I won't.  Mrs Redlight got her diary muddled and has not made it home in time for me to hand over custody of min-Relight and get to Kensington in time for the start.   :(

However, she has promised to bring home a bottle of wine as compensation / penance  :)

« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2017, 12:04:41 am »
Interesting film. I was struck by how everyone featured seemed to be aiming to ride through consecutive nights and get as little sleep as possible. Is this normal for PBP? What about LEL?

« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2017, 12:09:34 am »
my approach is usually to try and stop when it's dark and get as much sleep as possible - I'm out to have a good time rather than do a good time

« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2017, 11:22:29 am »
Interesting film. I was struck by how everyone featured seemed to be aiming to ride through consecutive nights and get as little sleep as possible. Is this normal for PBP? What about LEL?

Perfectly normal, the beds are usually occupied by those fast enough to have the option of sleep, so many just catnap on tables and on pieces of cardboard in the corner of a cafe. LEL is a bit easier, as there's more daylight, it being a month earlier. A lot of the behaviour can be inferred from Shai Shprung's visualisation of PBP data. http://shprung.com/pbp/?mode=info&frame=G001

The first night is entirely without sleep usually, and subsequent nights are often with about 90 minutes of sleep.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2017, 11:48:36 am »
can you ride within control times and sleep each night? dies this leave less contingency than you would like? if you can stop will there be enough beds to have ample sleep?

I suspect this is what drives the behaviour. I reckon I could do LEL within the limits riding entirely in daylight after the first night. But keeping in time on the first night with a late start would be the issue. as well as potential bed restrictions.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2017, 12:25:41 pm »
All of the above is true depending on whether the average speed of the participant is fast or slower. Sleep deprivation takes its toll eventually (normally on the last night of the event). Faster cyclists have time to rest at that point but those against the time limits have to push on, often cat-napping at the side of the road or slowing down considerably until they are out of time, joining the cycling zombie army. As someone who has finished PBP once and DNF'd twice I have seen both sides of the coin.

''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 29 March, 2017, 12:26:40 pm »
Several faster riders do PBP in daylight. Lon Haldeman was the first one I noticed doing so, riding single speed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Redlight

« Reply #18 on: 29 March, 2017, 01:44:39 pm »
Several faster riders do PBP in daylight. Lon Haldeman was the first one I noticed doing so, riding single speed.

Presumably he rode through the first night. Or was he so fast that he still able to reach the outbound controls in time?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 29 March, 2017, 01:55:22 pm »
84 hr start.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #20 on: 29 March, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »

I rode with Lon and Susan briefly one evening on the 99 PBP.   Of course I didn't realise it was them at the time.   Good job as I would have been a bit star struck and gone giggly.