Author Topic: 650B Tubeless Tyre Recommendation  (Read 1887 times)

650B Tubeless Tyre Recommendation
« on: 31 March, 2017, 10:08:40 am »
I was all set to buy some WTB Horizon and Alpkit are out of stock and I can't find anyone else stocking them.

I'm looking for a reasonably fast rolling high volume 650B tyre for use on roads, any recommendations?

Re: 650B Tubeless Tyre Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:14:41 am »
Compass Switchback Hill iirc - Velo Vitality in Brighton will have or will get some quickly

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:00:00 am »
I believe that Schwalbe S-One are available as 650B
They are very fast and I've found them to be reliable (in 700c version on the vorsprung machine)
They are 30mm wide and have a light tread
The G-One seems to be the same thing but wider (35mm) and with more tread

« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2017, 12:36:48 pm »
Compass Switchback Hill iirc - Velo Vitality in Brighton will have or will get some quickly

VV seem to have stopped listing Compass tyres on their website a week or few ago, I'm not sure fi they've stopped bringing them in entirely or jsut a brief hiatus but I'm not aware of any other UK suppliers, which is annoying as I have some that need replacing soon and shipping them over from the US individually is expensive!

Apart from that I would recommend Compass model in whatever size fits through your frame, they really are excellent tyres.

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2017, 12:49:29 pm »
They are very fast and I've found them to be reliable (in 700c version on the vorsprung machine)

They are available in 650b but for some reason seem to be out of stock everywhere.

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:35:43 pm »

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2017, 01:03:11 pm »

They are available in 650b but for some reason seem to be out of stock everywhere.

I was running G-ones recently (tubed) too, 700 cc in 30mm.
I know you need a tight fit for tubeless, but holy crap they are hard to seat (140 psi eventually popped them on)
Lovely fast tyre, good grip, but I have switched on the grounds that I'm not confident I could get em back on out in the field.
They were hard to track down in 700 cc too when sourcing.
Probably just bad luck but the front tyre picked up a big cut and should really get the big heave ho.
Switched to roubaix as an alternative.
often lost.

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:03:33 pm »
In the end I went for Maxxis Refuse in 650x50b as they're a lot cheaper than the Compass tyres.

Not too difficult to fit and very easy to seat with just a track pump.

I'm very happy with them, and while I like the way the bikes handling & comfort has been improved by going 650b I think it wasn't the wisest decision.

The problem is that while 50 fits my bike most 650b tyres are bigger than that e.g. G-One in 650b is only available as a 60.

So I'm fine for gravel tyres, but if I wanted to fit something for looser terrain I'm going to have difficulty

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2017, 06:34:18 pm »
G-one in 650b is a 40 iirc. You can also get wtb Horizon at 47 and, one day maybe, switchback hill at 48.

Should be enough with racing Ralph and thunder Burt, plus loads of rougher stuff MTV tyres?

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2017, 09:28:54 pm »
https://www.cycletyres.fr/pneu-schwalbe-g-one-allround-onestar-microskin-tubeless-easy-3391.html

Not cheap though

The 67tpi version is out of stock but the 127tpi version is available in 650B

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2017, 01:42:49 pm »
I was ready to buy some Compass Bon Jon Pass but they were all gone on the Velo Vitality site. I contacted Jon and he said there is a legal trademark dispute of some kind which is why he is not currently selling them.

I tried to order through the Compass website and get delivery via a friend in the US but they were out of stock there as well so I contacted Compass. I got a response quickly and a shipment should be on the way with them in the next couple of weeks at which point they will distribute. They also pointed out that their European distributor is 2-11 Cycles in France and ordering through their would obviously avoid any potential import duty issues.

I've since found several cracks in my SL25 Rim so need to get that sorted which gives me more time to decide against selling one of the kids for some comfy tyres....unfortunately, it has also provided me with lots of food for though about my overall set up. I bought a Disc equipped bike partly to do some experimenting and I am thinking it is time to start the experiments.  :facepalm:

« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2017, 05:36:37 pm »
This may answer your "where are the" compass tyre question.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/tires-have-landed-pre-order-now/
often lost.