Author Topic: Dancing  (Read 1653 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Dancing
« on: 08 April, 2017, 07:05:10 pm »
Last night Mrs B  and I went back to Waunifor , where we lived until recently, to a beginner's ball room dancing class being held in a hall there.
This was in the spirit of my aquiescing to Mrs B's insistence that we need to do more things together.
I can't even Dad Dance.  But I manned up and agreed.   I mean.  How hard can it be?

Bloody hell that's hard.  We tried waltz, jive and salsa.  I was absolutely rubbish.   And exhausted.   Maybe it's less tiring if you can put more than 4 steps together.
I tell you what.   I thought my Welsh classes were the most difficult thing I'd ever tried.  Wrong!

So long as there aren't mutations in dancing..............
Oh hang on.  There probably are.

Anyone else tried this?

And yes.  I'll probably go next week.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: Dancing
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2017, 07:26:27 pm »
I took lessons as a teenager for a couple of years, though I haven't used the skill in a decade or so and am not sure I could remember any of the steps...

I do recall it being fairly strenuous physical exercise, especially the Latin dances.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2017, 07:30:19 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I don't dance nearly enough these days (been doing it almost as far back as I can remember), but still enjoy it immensely.

As long one of you knows left from right can count up to four you should be alright, though better if both can do that. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2017, 07:49:10 pm »
I made the mistake of rigging lights in a hall where a lesson was taking place when I was a teenager.  It was either join in or hide in the roof for an hour.  It was hard work and, predictably for a task involving sense of rhythm, I was crap.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2017, 09:40:17 pm »
My mother forced me to go to dancing lessons in early 1963 (when the snow was on the ground from Christmas to March)   Hated it - she said it was a "social skill" - cobblers.

The only thing I can remember is that my dancing partner, aged 15, was Katie Hewer - daughter of John Hewer, the jovial actor chap that played Captain Birdseye in the ads and appeared on the fish finger packaging for years.  (The Hewers were family friends)

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2017, 09:46:03 pm »
Modern American Square Dancing (for example see.   https://youtu.be/8ady2ud7u5o ) - Mrs M and I have been doing it for about 40 years.
When we started it was very much a family activity, now in the UK it's become an old-persons pastime with very few youngsters. Lots of teenagers in Denmark, Germany & Taiwan in the movement, and there's a groundswell of LGBT square dance clubs in parts of the USA.
It's both brain food and a physical activity that isn't too strenuous.
Mrs M nearly came to a divorce when we tried Salsa and Ceroc. I can't dance and she's got no sense of rythmn.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2017, 10:15:46 pm »
The only thing I can remember is that my dancing partner, aged 15, was Katie Hewer - daughter of John Hewer, the jovial actor chap that played Captain Birdseye in the ads and appeared on the fish finger packaging for years.  (The Hewers were family friends)

Proceed directly to the 'tenuous claims to fame' thread, do not pass go...

« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2017, 10:24:22 pm »
I had dancing lessons for a while and loved it.  It helped that I had a good dance partner with rhythm.   I often find myself waltzing around the house.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2017, 10:14:17 am »
I’ve been considering beginner’s Swing/Lindy Hop dancing.  What have I got to lose (apart from my dignity)?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2017, 10:37:41 am »

Proceed directly to the 'tenuous claims to fame' thread, do not pass go...
I was thinking there's a mildly NSFW Truly Terrible Joke in there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2017, 10:18:56 am »
Last night Mrs B  and I went back to Waunifor , where we lived until recently, to a beginner's ball room dancing class being held in a hall there.
This was in the spirit of my aquiescing to Mrs B's insistence that we need to do more things together.
I can't even Dad Dance.  But I manned up and agreed.   I mean.  How hard can it be?

Bloody hell that's hard.  We tried waltz, jive and salsa.  I was absolutely rubbish.   And exhausted.   Maybe it's less tiring if you can put more than 4 steps together.
I tell you what.   I thought my Welsh classes were the most difficult thing I'd ever tried.  Wrong!

So long as there aren't mutations in dancing..............
Oh hang on.  There probably are.

Anyone else tried this?

And yes.  I'll probably go next week.

Long Itch. Skill share.

#justsaying
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2017, 12:45:56 pm »
 ::-)  :hand:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.