Author Topic: Haute Route - Ski tour  (Read 17134 times)

Re: Haute Route - Ski tour
« Reply #25 on: 25 April, 2017, 11:25:08 pm »
That's a really great write up, thanks, so much so I don't have the slightest desire to emulate. I'll read about it instead. Mind you, I wish I had years ago.
You could cash your pension in and pay for a chopper to take you to the top of each of the cols. :-)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #26 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:08:11 am »
That looks just fabulous. I'd love to do something like that (but my skiing skills are unlikely to ever be good enough, and there too many other things I want to do more).
You do have to be able to ski pretty much any type of snow, but if that puts you off, you could always do it as a Summertime trek. I think it takes two or three days more.
Here you go. Eight days to walk it plus a day either side to travel and prepare.
Rust never sleeps

seraphina

« Reply #27 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:58:44 pm »
Excellent and thoroughly enjoyable write up. I spent all of my childhood summers in that neck of the woods so it's an area very close to my heart.

The Swiss maps are true works of art. I wanted to wallpaper our living room in them but wasn't allowed.

« Reply #28 on: 10 September, 2017, 08:59:16 pm »
Finally got our hands on the guide's photos.

I forgot that there were two patches of no snow, this was the second one.

The full team atop Pigne d'Arolla

The early morning departure from the Vignettes hut.

Andrew pulling a perfect turn on perfect snow with the perfect backdrop.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #29 on: 20 August, 2022, 08:14:08 pm »
It was. And who knows, I might get to repeat it. I sat Joe down when we got back to go through the photos. His eyes were out on stalks. "Will you still be able to do that in three years ?"  Cheeky sod.  Yes, of course I will. He's already building it into his post-education plans.
Well, Covid interfered a bit, so we'll be three years later than originally envisaged, but I'm about to finalise dates for a repeat run with mini-hatler this coming Winter. Better get fit.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #30 on: 14 April, 2023, 04:34:58 pm »
Take 2 about to start. Erk !  Fitter than I could have been, but nowhere near as fit as I'd like to be.

We've already taken a three week knock due to extreme avalanche risk, and the latest schedule has taken a day's knock to accommodate hut bookings.

Logistics slightly more complex on this one.

All the gory details to follow, but not until we're back.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #31 on: 14 April, 2023, 05:42:49 pm »
Have fun, I’m a summer Alpinist but never ski toured, thus I’m in the alpine regions between June and September.  Hope you get mostly those blue sky days in your photos above.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #32 on: 14 April, 2023, 05:57:27 pm »
Looking forward the the reports and photos!

« Reply #33 on: 22 April, 2023, 08:20:14 am »
Mission accomplished despite a couple of mildly adverse days.

Account to follow (but don't hold your breath, the account above took me ages and I didn't have a job then).
Rust never sleeps