Author Topic: Forest of Dean  (Read 1266 times)

Forest of Dean
« on: 17 April, 2017, 05:32:29 pm »
Could any Forest of Dean cyclists take a look at this DIY route for me and see if it takes  a sensible way across the forest.Will probably be ridden on a weekday.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20585318   PS this route is the revised version .

All I need now is a free day :thumbsup:

Re: Forest of Dean
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2017, 05:39:16 pm »
Whole route looks fine to me

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2017, 05:45:21 pm »
Thanks Flatus. I think I have ridden most of it on various Calendar 200s but wasn't sure about the FOD bit. The little google man helps but doesn't allways tell the whole story.

I work a lot of weekends and fill in the gaps with weekday DIY.

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2017, 05:47:44 pm »
agree with James that looks fine  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
For refreshments you've got the Stables cafe at Saul junction, and the excellent Salutation pub on your route in Ham just south of Berkeley. Always the option to divert to the Dean Heritage centre cafe too. You may already know of these places.

The only thing I might suggest is taking the opposite side of the Severn crossing. The tunnel you have to pass through on your route is often glass strewn.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2017, 07:27:25 pm »
I definitely second the suggestion to use the northern side path over the Severn Bridge.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2017, 08:12:32 pm »
Agreed with ^^^^^^ them nowt to worry about.  The right turn into Parawell lane (32.5) is small but you won't miss it going in that direction.  I prefer the climb up Fancy Hill (SO@37.2) then left to speech house.... Hang on, when are you doing this?  Soudley Wood is about to EXPLODE! in colour.  Through there today the colour was just becoming visible.  SO@37.2 then 4.6 L and under a stone railway bridge to Soudley.  Drink in the vista.  2 R@T, 0.4 L opp White Horse Inn (or SO for excellent vittals @ the Dean Heritage centre).  After the White Horse continue to Littledean & resume. 

Bonus, that misses the St Whites Road climb past Cinderford, a road with zero redeeming features.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2017, 09:23:02 pm »
Thanks for suggestions .In work now so will have a look at it tommorow and tweek the rou te a bit as suggested. :thumbsup:

PS  Mk 2 route modified as advised.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20585318