Author Topic: New Freehub? Which one?  (Read 4310 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
New Freehub? Which one?
« on: 18 April, 2017, 08:58:37 pm »
Hi,

I have a ~2010 Specialized Rockhopper with Stout hubs. The rear has turned into a fixed wheel and having taken out the bearings and cleaned it all up the freehub is very stiff to turn.

I have found old info from 2012 after googling Stout Rear Hub, 2nd result in the list. Like the OP on that forum I'm wondering if I could replace the freehub at the same time.

Do freehubs come in standard sizes, ie if I buy a Shimano MTB freehub? would this fit and be a suitable replacement?

Many thanks, Dave C

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: New Freehub? Which one?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2017, 09:21:54 pm »
Short answer is 'no, it won't interchange'.

Shimano only use cup and cone bearings. Most others use cartridge bearings and in any case, replacement freehubs usually don't interchange for other reasons.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2017, 09:22:40 pm »
If you can remove the freehub on the knackered wheel you can compare it side by side with other brands.   I would be amazed though if it was directly compatible with a shimano freehub.

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2017, 12:43:32 am »
Might well share the pattern with other brands though - the challenge will be finding the hub OEM, and then a supplier.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2017, 12:59:17 am »
The Stout branded hub is manufactured by Joytech. There are two replacement freehubs available, it's vital you get the correct one.

If you speak to North West Mountain Bike Centre in Cheadle (Stockport, not Staffs) they usually have both in stock. The freehub is accessed from the NON-drive side, IIRC it's a 12mm hex with a conventional RH thread and the bolt is captive.

As to getting the correct length they may be able to narrow it down for you (it's down to the spline length/engagement depth in the hub body) but if not you might be able to order them both and return the one you don't use. Don't quote me on that . . .

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2017, 01:11:10 am »
BTW did we agree that I would buy your Rockhopper frame a while ago? Or was that someone else...?
VELOMANCER

« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2017, 09:21:26 am »

Do freehubs come in standard sizes, ie if I buy a Shimano MTB freehub? would this fit and be a suitable replacement?

not a cat in hell's chance that a different type of freehub body will fit.....

Yes there are standard sizes but there are lots of standard sizes....

You might get an idea of what you are looking for here;

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/c/641/Freehub-Bodies

BTW I would (slightly controversially) suggest that the freewheel bearings (eg in screw-on freewheels and bolt-on freehub bodies) are unlike every other bearing on a bike and therefore can be treated differently.

Freewheel bearings only turn when they see no load and only see load when they are not turning.

Thus (to my mind) a lack of free play in the bearings is a priority (else the freehub body will tend to move around under load which accelerates wear the bearings and wrecks the seals) even if it is at the expense of exactly  how smoothly the freewheel body rotates when freewheeling.  IME if a 'bad' freehub body is flushed with oil and spun round a few hundred times even slightly rough bearings will usually start to turn freely enough to allow further use.  Provided there isn't too much free play (which can be adjusted using shims) and there are not (say) bits of broken pawl floating around inside, the freehub body is probably still OK to use, provided it is kept well lubricated (with oil or a SFG).

IME if the bearings are rough freewheeling can make a bit of a rumble, but that is usually nothing to worry about; they can go on like that for years.

For example I reshimmed  a (very rough) 'Formula' MTB freehub body in about 2001.  This was on my most-used MTB.  After nearly fifteen years of use (goodness knows how many cassettes and chains) it was still going strong, but still a bit rumbly when freewheeling. If anything it had become a little quieter over time.   However I decided to  have another go (whilst the hub was being overhauled anyway) and this time I lightly reground the bearing races; the result is quieter freewheeling, but it has made no difference to how well the freewheel engages etc.; it was perfectly reliable either way.

cheers

Dave_C

« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2017, 11:42:49 am »
Thanks all.

I have a perfectly good rim and spokes (yes I know they are cheap to replace) so I think I may -

1) Take off the old freehub and see if it is salvagable.

2) If not, see if I can rebuild it with a new - same size flanged hub, like an XT or similar which fits.

3) failing these two above, I'll buy a new XT hub and new spokes and just build up a new wheel with the existing rim.

Cheers, Its useful to know all this, and if the shop were local I'd consider it, actually I may just see if they have the freehub's in stock, how much are they going to be? a tenner each? Same me the hassle of stripping the wheel and building it up again??

Torslander,

Yep that was me. Red and White Rockhopper. I assume you'd forgoten about it. As my boys are growing fast I'll most likley use a larger frame to build up a second bike for when the boys grow and the smaller boys moves up to the Kona small MTB, leaving the older boys needing a larger frame.

Unless you have a special project you need it for and can't source another?

Cheers, Dave C

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2017, 02:13:12 pm »
Thanks, Dave. No worries.

A Specialized dealer locally who is switched on should be able to get you one. It wasn't until after I'd posted it clicked with me where you were...
VELOMANCER

Dave_C

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2017, 03:46:49 pm »
Found this online:

Specialized Freehub body.

S092100002, S092100003 and S092100008 fit Joytech hub for 8-speed cassette.
S092100009 fits Joytech hub for 9-speed cassette.

My bike is a 9 speed 2010 Spec Rockhopper.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2017, 06:32:42 pm »
8 speed and 9 speed cassettes are the same width so the external parts of the freehub look exactly the same. It's the internal fitting to the hub.

Sorry, it's a bit of a minefield . . .
VELOMANCER

Dave_C

« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2017, 04:44:25 pm »
Reply for anyone in future searching the interweb...

I have a Specialized Rockhopper SL ~2010, 9 speed. - This -> https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/rockhoppersl/22904

My rear freehub had broken, seized and I had to find a replacement.

I found the S092100002 online. It was ~£25 and comes with an 8mm to 11mm Hex converter (a bonus).

It fits and now the wheel is performing as it should.

Dave C

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:32:21 pm »
Pluck, perseverence and a little keyboard RSI . . .  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

« Reply #13 on: 02 May, 2017, 06:06:21 pm »
Found this online:

Specialized Freehub body.

S092100002, S092100003 and S092100008 fit Joytech hub for 8-speed cassette.
S092100009 fits Joytech hub for 9-speed cassette.

My bike is a 9 speed 2010 Spec Rockhopper.

it is the first one on the page in the bikeplus link I posted above.

cheers