Author Topic: Tamiya conector inner metal crimp part: available separately?  (Read 1736 times)

Due to my clumsyness, I would like to find a source where I can buy the inner metal crimp part of Tamiya connectors separately:

is this possible?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Tamiya conector inner metal crimp part: available separately?
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2017, 02:57:38 pm »
Possibly, but you could also buy a set of connectors for the price of an inner bit:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hardware-accessories-1/wires-connectors/battery-esc-motor/tamiya-proprietary.html
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2017, 05:30:06 pm »
are the terminals not the same type as is marketed as 'Molex' ?

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2017, 05:39:24 pm »
I've just eyeballed a Tamiya and a old-style disk drive power connector side by side and I can't see an obvious difference.

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2017, 06:40:31 pm »
Tamiya the RC company? Just as an aside, the guy that runs the cycling club I ride with is one of the directors of https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ and a very nice chap he is too.

His shop is the sort of place the 10yr old me would have dreamed of. They do lots Tamiya connectors.

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2017, 09:57:54 pm »
I've just eyeballed a Tamiya and a old-style disk drive power connector side by side and I can't see an obvious difference.

another Molex-type connector, IIRC

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2017, 10:09:31 pm »

another Molex connector, IIRC

Well yes, did you mean something else?  Molex make all sorts of things, but that's usually the one people mean when they use "Molex connector" in the specific rather than generic sense.

(Horrible things.  I'll be glad to see the end of them.)

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2017, 10:52:04 pm »
yes they are pretty horrid.  I once had an Italian-built offroad motorcycle where all the lights at the back of the machine were powered through a six-pin Molex plug.  The plug was in no way whatsoever weatherproofed and was exposed to all the crud thrown off the rear wheel. Needless to say this did nothing for the reliability of the bike, and everything to confirm the stereotypically dodgy reputation of Italian electrics....

BTW these pins are often distinguished from the plethora of other plugs that Molex make by the designation  0.093" for the pin diameter, e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pairs-Molex-Connector-2-Pin-Circuit-Standard-093-2-Way-Crimp-Plug-Terminal-/282373849345?hash=item41becb0101:g:yVYAAOSwCU1YsSCs

you can buy the pins and receptacles separately but they tend to come in huge bags. Obviously you need the right kind of crimp tool to make the connections; if all you have is a soldering iron it is probably easier to buy a wired plug of some kind (or salvage one from an old PC) and to splice the wires a few inches back from the pins.

Also you need a tube-tool to defeat the barbs and release the crimped pins/receptacles from the plug body.

cheers

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2017, 08:30:48 am »
Usual crimping scenario at T42 mansions is this: put wire in, squeeze gently with pliers: nothing happens. Squeeze a bit harder: nothing happens. Squeeze harder yet: wire slips out, tube squashes flat.

Soldering: I've tried various methods, both with iron and mini gas-torch. Ouch and Bugger at your service.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2017, 11:50:13 am »

another Molex connector, IIRC

Well yes, did you mean something else? 

sorry for any confusion; I was agreeing with you, but I didn't express that very clearly... :-[

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2017, 11:58:40 am »
Usual crimping scenario at T42 mansions is this: put wire in, squeeze gently with pliers: nothing happens. Squeeze a bit harder: nothing happens. Squeeze harder yet: wire slips out, tube squashes flat.

There's no substitute for a proper tool where crimping is involved.

Soldering: I've tried various methods, both with iron and mini gas-torch. Ouch and Bugger at your service.

There's no substitute for practice where soldering is involved.