Author Topic: [LEL17] Having doubts about my ability to complete LEL  (Read 19918 times)

Re: Having doubts about my ability to complete LEL
« Reply #75 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:06:22 pm »
I have absolutely no idea whether my carcass is capable of hauling itself 1,400km up and down the country, but a month and a half ago I had no idea whether I could ride a 600, and last year I had no idea whether I could manage 200km.

But I'm damned if I'm going to sit at home and wonder whether I could have done it. Plus the wife will have a fit if I don't do it given the number of weekends I've disappeared to go cycling over the past two years on the pretext of having some sort of carefully worked-out training plan.

Going to have a crack at the Buzzard 600 this weekend, then it's three weeks of tapering (slightly enforced due to work and family commitments).

« Reply #76 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:11:39 pm »
You know what hardcore audaxers say:
If you can ride 50 km, then you can ride 100 km,
If you can ride 100, then ...
... then you can ride 1400 km

« Reply #77 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:12:54 pm »
Plus the wife will have a fit if I don't do it given the number of weekends I've disappeared to go cycling over the past two years on the pretext of having some sort of carefully worked-out training plan.

That and the non-refundable entry fee!!!!

« Reply #78 on: 06 July, 2017, 10:50:42 pm »
Gary is also speaking from experience,having done the same job at Barnard Castle.
I think the only thing that he didn't fix was the Mercian bike where the head tube and main down tube had come apart.
Ah but.... If you're referring to who I think you're referring to, you did manage to lend him a bike, and he still made the finish in good time !

« Reply #79 on: 07 July, 2017, 01:49:43 pm »
Plus the wife will have a fit if I don't do it given the number of weekends I've disappeared to go cycling over the past two years on the pretext of having some sort of carefully worked-out training plan.

That and the non-refundable entry fee!!!!

I kept that quiet.

« Reply #80 on: 09 July, 2017, 09:21:35 am »
My doubts aren't physical but mental.

I did a 600 a month ago and bailed at 400. I was in pain but I stopped because mentally I was shot. And I as supposed to do the Buzzard but backed out at the last minute. I'm guessing I've hit the limit mentally. Has anyone else got over this?

« Reply #81 on: 09 July, 2017, 10:39:38 am »
Not sure I've ever passed a train station after 250 or 300k without thinking "why am I doing this?". You just do. Every turn of the pedals is another metre1 closer to home

(1) spiritually rather than mathematically accurate
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #82 on: 09 July, 2017, 11:01:36 am »
You know what hardcore audaxers say:
If you can ride 50 km, then you can ride 100 km,
If you can ride 100, then ...
... then you can ride 1400 km

I'm relying on this  ;D

Due to family circumstances I've done very little this year at all and am way out of shape!  Did a 200 on Saturday and was actually surprised at both my time and how I felt afterwards , which were both good enough to be  encouraging.
Whatever , I'm starting, and I know I can get to St Ives.  If I can get to St Ives I reckon Spalding shouldn't be a problem, and if I can do that its then only 83km to Louth and a bit of a rest :thumbsup:
I think for me the danger points are Pocklington and Carlisle on the way north, and possibly Edinburgh, so I know to watch for these

Pock because its near home, Carlisle and Edinburgh because trains ( and abandoning ) are easy.  Once on the way back , I'm then its all downhill ;D

Other issue I can now do less about is speed on the hills once past Barny Castle which will be what it is ( although I've still two weeks of hard training to do, which should help)

But  wing and a prayer still comes to mind  ;D

« Reply #83 on: 09 July, 2017, 11:54:27 am »
Hit the wall at 390km of 400 yesterday.
I had not noticed that one brake lever was slightly rotated so pressure on a digital nerve
I realised that my pudendal nerve was starting to stop working!!!
My new shoes were not as comfortable as my old ones

Main problem though was loss of muscle strength.

I am hoping this is due to stopping some medication for my hay fever.

I am heading out again this morning having addressed the first 3 problems for a shorter ride to assess the muscles.

Anyway I have paid for 116 hours of pampering by danial plus hotel room night before, I might as well turn up!  Probably aim to sit in a group and be the lazy so and so who does not do a turn!

« Reply #84 on: 09 July, 2017, 02:34:45 pm »
Not sure I've ever passed a train station after 250 or 300k without thinking "why am I doing this?". You just do. Every turn of the pedals is another metre1 closer to home

(1) spiritually rather than mathematically accurate

Yep i guess that's what I'm banking on. I perhaps don't see that other people have their dark tea times of the soul too. Somehow it seems better if we're all suffering instead of just me  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #85 on: 09 July, 2017, 02:50:35 pm »
Generally, I need to ride by myself when I'm suffering. I usually latch onto (or accumulate) a group when I am feeling good. Me in a bad mood is not particularly pretty, though it can amuse folk sometimes. My usual approach during a brevet is "This too shall pass."
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #86 on: 09 July, 2017, 05:52:49 pm »
Generally, I need to ride by myself when I'm suffering. I usually latch onto (or accumulate) a group when I am feeling good. Me in a bad mood is not particularly pretty, though it can be amuse folk sometimes. My usual approach during a brevet is "This too shall pass."

You're not the only one who tends to solo the bad bits — I said the same to a friend on a ride just this morning.  I'm not sure I'm as amusing as you when I'm in a bad mood, though  ;)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #87 on: 10 July, 2017, 03:11:20 pm »
I'll welcome any company in my suffering.  You can't miss me - blue and gold Miyata 1000 with DT shifters,

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #88 on: 10 July, 2017, 03:56:30 pm »
Well, riding last weekend's UAF 1000 has resolved my concerns about getting fit enough in time. It is finally all coming together and with a few weeks to spare. Now to pick which bike to ride...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #89 on: 10 July, 2017, 03:57:55 pm »
Whatever , I'm starting, and I know I can get to St Ives.  If I can get to St Ives I reckon Spalding shouldn't be a problem, and if I can do that its then only 83km to Louth and a bit of a rest :thumbsup:

Having taken on LEL2013 as my first ever audax and abandoned at Kirton on the return leg completion is now on my bucket list - I'll be on that start line, and I'm going to be trying my damnest to be back in Loughton by Friday morning.

Even without a finish line in mind, I get to spend a week away from work travelling up and down a thin slice of the country on a bicycle...it really is an experience that you either 'get' or you don't, and I'm looking forward to looking back on whatever memories the trip leaves in my mind.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)

« Reply #90 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:23:02 am »
I too abandoned last time with totally numb little fingers and weak hands.  I could not mentally put the ride ahead of continued employment.  Also i was just starting the hills out of thirst and was overtaken by a stream of people going "Allez" as i was slowly grinding my way up the hill.  So I packed.

This time training started in earnest after my fractured and plated collar bone last june and was doing well until January when my mother died.  She had been mentally ill for at least 40 years with no contact for almost all of that time but in some ways that was worse as the closures I had always hoped for never materialised.  So long rides and quality dropped off until April.

My workouts are now good and I have a 400 solo in the bag with a couple of200s and another one this weekend.  Is that enough.  who am I letting down if I pack, why am I doing this.  mentally I am unravelling.  Thankfully my wife is a star and is just supporting.  She has dropped all her commitments and promised to come and be with me where've I need her.

This thread is great and sorry for splurging.  I will ride 1400km in however long it takes me.

« Reply #91 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:07:14 pm »
I'm taking another perspective (and I think my math is right):  45min stop at each control, 7 hours sleep each night, avg 20kph on the bike.  Finish in time.  Doesn't seem so bad right?

« Reply #92 on: 11 July, 2017, 04:08:46 pm »
I'm taking another perspective (and I think my math is right):  45min stop at each control, 7 hours sleep each night, avg 20kph on the bike.  Finish in time.  Doesn't seem so bad right?

That's almost identical to my plan! 45mins at each control, 7 hours sleep each night, moving average 22kph. Finishes with a few hours to spare. It probably won't go anything like that though :)

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #93 on: 11 July, 2017, 04:35:15 pm »

That's almost identical to my plan! 45mins at each control, 7 hours sleep each night, moving average 22kph. Finishes with a few hours to spare. It probably won't go anything like that though :)

You'll be lucky if you're allowed a bed for 7 hours (assuming you're sleeping at controls)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: 11 July, 2017, 05:00:20 pm »
You'll be lucky if you're allowed a bed for 7 hours (assuming you're sleeping at controls)

One sleep cycle - around 3 hours/night in a proper bed, should be enough...unless you're an 'elite' 5am starter, in which case 3 minutes under a hedge at the most per night  ;D

It's a touring event [ok you get a number] but the low minimum speed gives plenty of time for some sleep each night, cafe stops, pub stops [if Audaxing ACME style  :thumbsup:] and even a bit of tourism: in 2005 I bought souvenirs for the family from the Tibetan Temple shop at Eskdalemuir and took way more photos than I ever did on PBP. But really work at cutting faffage in controls.

« Reply #95 on: 11 July, 2017, 08:35:52 pm »
What's about the max sleep allowed at controls?

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #96 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:13:20 pm »
If we're short of beds then we may have to whisper in your ear a little earlier than you'd fancy.

Normal procedure for bed booking is for you to take to a bed and request a time for the volunteer to wake you up. Therefore it's not really bed 'booking' at all, as you can't request a bed in half an hour's time, you can have it when one is free. But there are loads of beds and it's only the riders in the bulge who might request a 5am wake up and get turfed out at 4am if there's a queue of riders waiting.

When there are, for example, 200 beds then the turnover is very high so the queue doesn't tend to hang around long, but weather conditions can upset the best laid plans. The rows of airbeds look distinctly like a morgue in the gloaming light.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #97 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:01:52 pm »

Sorry I didn't mean 7 hours actual sleeping time but roughly 7 hours off the bike which will include eating, washing, sleeping, breakfast, faffage etc.

« Reply #98 on: 07 August, 2017, 12:27:33 pm »
Looking forward to hearing how you get on! Good luck.

ditto. Is  stan still on the road to Loughton or back in Canada?