Author Topic: Amesbury Amble 300, 1st July  (Read 8323 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Amesbury Amble 300, 1st July
« Reply #50 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:09:24 am »
My first audax event in nearly a year and what a cracker!

Great route (of course, any ride starting within the M25 is going to need to do a little bit of less enjoyable roads to get us in and out of London, but the route taken was just fine). Once out of London, it was a great ride in some lovely countryside. Many of the areas were familiar, but actually few of the roads.

A great day of weather, warm and sunny all day. Little bit of headwind nagging us towards the turn, but nothing too horrible.

The bit  around the military lands were quite interesting, even saw a bunch of soldiers marching with all their gear - looked hot.

The route is not terribly hilly and will make a great PBP qualifier.

Great to see some old friends and chat with some new faces.

The day equated to over 11% of my 2017 mileage; so I was quite pleased to get around reasonably quickly and without too many issues (arms were a little sore).

Food at the finish was superb.

Big thanks to all involved and look forwards to the rest of the SR coming together.

Let me see if I can fit in another audax event before July 2018.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Re: Amesbury Amble 300, 1st July
« Reply #51 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:44:46 pm »
Laidbackrich, is there any plan to make this a perm? I had hoped to ride the calendar event to complete my SR for this year but real life has intervened.
Thanks

That may well happen, but you are welcome to do it as a DIY in the meantime, the DIYSE number to quote is 6886, and I can email you the GPX and route sheet if you PM me your email address
Laidbackrich, thank you - I had a top day out yesterday. Really lovely route once out of the 'burbs. Weather was perfect, plenty warm and not so much wind. The plains were glorious - bright blue skies, golden fields, not much traffic and plenty of chocolate box villages. The Test Valley was again looking superb.
Having the last control at Bracknell was great as it meant for a nicely short final stint (a mental boost just as much as a physical boost).