Author Topic: Budget super bright lights from ebay et al?  (Read 2712 times)

Budget super bright lights from ebay et al?
« on: 15 May, 2017, 09:45:12 pm »
I used to have a lovely set of off-road lights with remote switches and external battery pack that I "lent to a mate" and have never seen again. I also have a super powerful (and pretty darn expensive) Nitecore torch for wilderness canoeing trips that sort of works ok as an off-road bike light - but, mostly, I dont want to break it

Seen all sorts of cheap (ie under a tenner) really bright (ie upwards of 1000 lumen) lights on the internet and wonder if anyone has found any of them to be worth the money/effort?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Budget super bright lights from ebay et al?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:27:57 pm »
I've got something from ebay in the 20quid range for my mountain bike.  It gives a good even (conical, so rubbish for on-road use, as you have to point it down right in front of the wheel) spread of bright light, which is more than sufficient for muddy canal paths in winter, and the battery pack appears to deliver the runtime promised.  I've been inside the charger to modify the status LEDs for colourblindness-friendliness, and it didn't look like it was a complete liability.  Build quality of the light itself is best described as 'adequate' - I can't imagine it standing up to regular prlongled exposure to rain.  I reckon it's an appropriate lighting solution for an infrequently used off-road bike.

The usual point of shoddiness is the batteries.  Expect to be disappointed by the *really* cheap ones.

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:44:34 pm »
I think the Convoy S2 range of 18650 based torches take some beating for value for money at around a tenner.  The build quality is superb and they are available in a bewildering range of configurations of power and colour temperatures.  For cycling I've bought a couple of these which produce a very warm diffuse yellow light with no hot spots https://www.fasttech.com/p/1195012
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2017, 01:24:56 pm »
You could avoid the dodgy batteries by buying the 'lamp with USB' lead only versions (and possibly changing to a more reliable connector for your choice of battery pack...(.

NB I bought a zoom version as a switchable main beam (supplied circuit  removed) thinking the zoom would more efficiently collect and direct the mainly forward aimed led source's light......but I am not sure and it has little side spill so needs the dynamo 'dipped beam' to stay on
(and my dynamo lamps beam is not that wide :( ). So I wonder if the simpler reflector optics (assuming 1A LED current) would have been better.....  :-\

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2017, 01:36:09 pm »
You could avoid the dodgy batteries by buying the 'lamp with USB' lead only versions

I've got one of those.  I also put in a fresnel lens so that it doesn't dazzle oncoming vehicles.  Generally, it is a great light although I once had some problems with it not working the day after it got a soaking in a storm.  It was ok when it dried out after a week or so in the house

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2017, 06:27:29 pm »
7dayshop does a stupidbright light of the type Kim describes for just over £30, but the battery's lower capacity than many, so run time may not be good.

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/category-cycling.html does one for £37 or so with a higher capacity battery, & they also sell fresnel lenses & spare (& higher capacity) batteries & other spares & accessories. Their batteries seem to be as advertised, & they're very good on returns of faulty stuff, IME.

Trade-offs - Mrs B has a dirt cheap(£20 or so) Shenzhen Special retina-burner which has worked perfectly for about 5 years, but the original battery didn't last very long (a couple of years?), & of the people I know who've bought similarly cheap lights, some are absolutely fine, but others are very poorly made, some have dodgy connectors, & as Kim says, dodgy short-lived batteries are quite common. At the price, it's hard to say the lights aren't value for money, though.

AFAIK none have had a problem in rain. They're usually ordinary DC plugs, which work well in the wet.  USB connectors aren't really designed for waterproofing, but I think some of the lights & batteries now have cased USB connectors for weatherproofing.

I think the cutoff between garbage, & basic but functional, used to be around £20 or a bit less. I'm not sure now.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2017, 08:30:34 pm »
A couple of people on here have mentioned problems with cheap rechargeable batteries. I won't leave them charging when I'm not about in the house anymore due to possible fire risk.

dim

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2017, 11:05:25 am »
I use these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10000LM-Solarstorm-X3-XML-U2-Bike-Light-Bicycle-Lamp-Headlight-Head-Torch-Rear-/201734523652?hash=item2ef8508b04:g:JugAAOSwo4pYLXnR

I use it on the head strap, and have it pointed down. Battery pack fits in my pocket, and I use it on the low setting (which is as bright as a Volvo bus light) .... when a cyclist or a car approaches, I just tilt my head to the side, so as to not blind them

I never over charge it and when the battery is fully charged, it lasts approx 3 hours. in 3 years, I have bought 2 of these and will continue to do so (I cycle throughout the year on poor dark roads and I've yet to find a better light at this price

There is a chap who assembles a better battery pack and he advertises on ebay:
http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2017, 01:21:40 pm »
I bought one a few years back for £17,still works, very bright but the beam couldn't be any worse  for road cycling with regards to lighting up the road surface.

At best it's a very bright being-seen light, and you can instantly point it straight ahead when needed.

dim

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2017, 02:41:23 pm »
I bought one a few years back for £17,still works, very bright but the beam couldn't be any worse  for road cycling with regards to lighting up the road surface.

At best it's a very bright being-seen light, and you can instantly point it straight ahead when needed.

works perfect when worn on a headstrap as you can tilt it downwards to light up a large section of the road .... tilt your head up slightly, and you can light up a larger area to the front.
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

rr

« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2017, 03:43:14 pm »
I have one of these Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301603881941
Bright and some attempt at beam shaping. The supplied battery was poor, initially lasting 2 hours and falling to 1.5 pretty quickly. I replaced it with a 36 Ah one from aliexpress, this will power both LEDs all night.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2017, 03:48:06 pm »

Well yes, but that's that's not what they're for.  A full-suspension mountain bike with knobblies and no mudguards isn't ideal for road cycling either.

As dim suggests, on-road they're mostly useful as an auxiliary 'main beam', in addition to some more appropriate light.  The thing I've found is that given a decent enough road-appropriate light, you don't really need a main beam on the road.  Might be useful if you have a mixed commute or something (but blinding other users on shared paths is just as antisocial as it is on the road).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2017, 03:48:54 pm »
I have one of these Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301603881941

That's similar to mine.

« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2017, 11:26:58 pm »

That's similar to mine.

And mine.
Actually, I think I have two of them, I just don't know where the other one is ............

It's currently on the commuting bike. I use it on the "spot" rather than the "flood" beam to light up the road a few metres in ahead of the front wheel in the hope that it'll help me avoid the pot-holes that plague my commute.
Main lighting is a shaped beam Philips dyno light with a flashing Knog as the "I'm a bike" light.

On quiet lanes pointing ahead, the range of the "spot" isn't too bad but I'd like it to shine further ahead still.
£17 quid though. Mustn't grumble.

........ The supplied battery was poor, initially lasting 2 hours and falling to 1.5 pretty quickly. I replaced it with a 36 Ah one from aliexpress, this will power both LEDs all night.

Do you have a link please rr ?
I'd like to get an upgraded powerpack.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2017, 08:30:43 am »
I have one of those solar storms as well, decent light and enough battery length for commuting, stays attached to the handlebars of the road bike.  I have two battery packs now after one lamp was nicked from a hotel in Oxford, but the battery pack left.  One is rubberised and much better than then other which is encased in a vinyl glove with the end of a finger cut off for the connector.

I think they were both about £20 from amazon
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rr

« Reply #15 on: 21 May, 2017, 09:43:26 am »

That's similar to mine.

And mine.
Actually, I think I have two of them, I just don't know where the other one is ............

It's currently on the commuting bike. I use it on the "spot" rather than the "flood" beam to light up the road a few metres in ahead of the front wheel in the hope that it'll help me avoid the pot-holes that plague my commute.
Main lighting is a shaped beam Philips dyno light with a flashing Knog as the "I'm a bike" light.

On quiet lanes pointing ahead, the range of the "spot" isn't too bad but I'd like it to shine further ahead still.
£17 quid though. Mustn't grumble.

........ The supplied battery was poor, initially lasting 2 hours and falling to 1.5 pretty quickly. I replaced it with a 36 Ah one from aliexpress, this will power both LEDs all night.

Do you have a link please rr ?
I'd like to get an upgraded powerpack.
The specific one I bought is no longer listed, but putting 36000mAh in aliexpress' search brings up a few at around $38, I paid £22 a couple of years ago. Check the connector, mine is a screw connector, as is this one https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32634875509.html#autostay other connectors are available.

rr

« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2017, 02:02:35 pm »
ALDI/lidl sometimes have this sort of thing, not quite so cheap, but with a real 3 year warranty.