Author Topic: Motorhomes. Am I too you young?  (Read 33475 times)

Re: Motorhomes. Am I too you young?
« Reply #125 on: 20 July, 2017, 09:06:24 pm »
You need a couple of sit-up-and-beg E-bikes on the back.

« Reply #126 on: 20 July, 2017, 09:26:54 pm »
oh no I dont

« Reply #127 on: 20 July, 2017, 09:33:30 pm »
Just the one then?

Chris S

« Reply #128 on: 21 July, 2017, 07:22:30 pm »
It appears to have Riot Mesh windows. Expecting trouble? :);)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #129 on: 21 July, 2017, 08:42:18 pm »
Need lots of photos of this beast...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #130 on: 21 July, 2017, 08:44:51 pm »

What,  Flatus?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #131 on: 22 July, 2017, 08:03:05 am »

What,  Flatus?

Whom did you think I meant?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #132 on: 07 August, 2017, 03:35:39 pm »
I saw the Flatusmobile on Saturday. If it wasn't his, it was the spirit of motorhomes yet to come. Large white motorhome, like any other of the type, with two bikes on a rack on the back... and being towed with its front wheel off the ground, back two on the road, a chopper motor trike, Easy Rider style. All gold and swirly patterns. The kind of thing that might have featured in Bike magazine circa 1976 or in a poster on the young Flatus's bedroom wall.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #133 on: 07 August, 2017, 04:08:39 pm »
I'm definitely full of hankering for a campervan. Caravans have never appealed, and motorhomes just seem too big.

Also, you can fit a van pretty much anywhere.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #134 on: 10 August, 2017, 06:45:09 pm »
Very interesting thread, and I've been through all the emotions expressed here. A friend had one that he made himself and it was lovely, very good insulation made it cool in the sun of the Swiss Alps and warm in the ice of a Bristol winter. Then he sold it and bought a VW boxy thing, also very useful. But although I'd like one, in the end I keep coming back to the number of tents I could buy and the number of trips I could do, plus the number of nights in nice hotels I could have when the weather was foul on aforesaid trips. And now I look back on, for example, seven weeks in Patagonia with a tent and a bike, and seven weeks in Norway going to Nord Kapp with a tent and a bike. But I also remember how far away those nice hotels were when the heavens opened. And each trip cost about £2,500. And I still don't own a campervan.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #135 on: 11 August, 2017, 10:02:56 am »
MrsC, to my disappointment, does not like camping (although we are going camping this weekend; she is not looking forward to it). If we had a motorhome with bike rack, we might go away for weekends, I could abandon her in motorhome and vanish off on bike for a few hours in picturesque locations. Maybe.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #136 on: 11 August, 2017, 10:21:23 am »
Ardnamurchan. Two week tour of Kielder forest, Loch Ness, and Ardnamurchan. Just me and the kiddies. Loved it.

Purbeck

Just me.

But everyone else arrives tomorrow.

(The Dorset flag attracts a fair bit of attention, but it backfired on me yesterday when a French lady enquired what it was, as she'd seen a similar one flying from a church nearby.  I told her it was white supremacy and she said "well, there's nothing wrong with that".)

« Reply #137 on: 11 August, 2017, 10:32:40 am »
That looks really lovely Flatus.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #138 on: 11 August, 2017, 10:42:20 am »
Thanks. It is!. The place I'm at now is one we visit every year. It's on a slope so people tend not to camp near each other. Oodles of space. Loch Ness was a C&CC site so was full of people sat in their caravans and motorhomes watching Cash in the Attic. We were in the tent field at the extremity of the site which was a bit better. Ardnamurchan was off the scale for quaintness and beauty, but at the price of convenience (nearest town 2hrs plus ferry)...perfect.

I made the right choice for me vehicle-wise. The V6 thrummed up the motorway to Scotland at 90 mph for hours at 2500 revs, and in supreme comfort. It's small enough to get up some frankly barking roads. There were no motorhomes on the Ardnamurchan site  ;) Havent needed a hookup, even though I can. The solar panel pulls enough to run the fridge and lights and usb chargers even on a dull day. Its sunny this morning and the battery is at full charge, with and extra 4+ amps coming in on top of the the draw from the fridge.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #139 on: 11 August, 2017, 11:23:49 am »
Looks lovely.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #140 on: 04 September, 2017, 03:14:40 pm »

All done. Pop up roof, solar panel, twin hob, sink, fridge etc and Lpg conversion. Gets its first outing on saturday

Where did you get it converted? We are thinking of getting something similar.

« Reply #141 on: 04 September, 2017, 10:29:36 pm »
Northstar conversions on I.O.W. 

If you want a Toyota Alphard, I'd recommend dealing with Paul Mckeown at New Acre Cars in Coventry.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #142 on: 05 September, 2017, 10:08:50 am »
On Sunday I had to wait at roadworks while a good dozen camping cars came through in the other direction.  Then about 20 minutes later half a dozen cars pulling caravans blocked me at a roundabout.  Must have been chucking-out time at a local camping site.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
« Reply #143 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:15:03 am »
Our van arrives a week on Friday........... :o

« Reply #144 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:28:45 am »
Northstar conversions on I.O.W. 

If you want a Toyota Alphard, I'd recommend dealing with Paul Mckeown at New Acre Cars in Coventry.

Thank you!

Our van arrives a week on Friday........... :o

Coooool! What are you getting?

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
« Reply #145 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:38:49 am »
Trigano Tribute 665. Perfect for the two of us to get out and about this winter. It got an auto gearbox, the finding of which made the search for the Holy Grail look simple. Makes life a lot easier for Littlewheel's shorty legs...... Trips are being planned!

« Reply #146 on: 14 September, 2017, 03:44:54 pm »
Wouldn't it make more sense for old* VW Type 2s to be converted to an EV rather than continually refurbish an old engine that will spew out much much more nasty stuff than a modern engine? Use roof for large solar panel?  Non-speedy driving is expected anyway...

Yet I don't see any off the shelf conversions offered....

*(and even modern Brazilian ones if engine breaks?)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #147 on: 14 September, 2017, 04:04:07 pm »
Wouldn't it make more sense for old* VW Type 2s to be converted to an EV rather than continually refurbish an old engine that will spew out much much more nasty stuff than a modern engine?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40998128
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGZ1zbqAGA0
I think this one featured in the Nissan Leaf thread
216km from Marsh Gibbon

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #148 on: 14 September, 2017, 04:22:45 pm »
Thanks. It is!. The place I'm at now is one we visit every year. It's on a slope so people tend not to camp near each other. Oodles of space. Loch Ness was a C&CC site so was full of people sat in their caravans and motorhomes watching Cash in the Attic. We were in the tent field at the extremity of the site which was a bit better. Ardnamurchan was off the scale for quaintness and beauty, but at the price of convenience (nearest town 2hrs plus ferry)...perfect.

I made the right choice for me vehicle-wise. The V6 thrummed up the motorway to Scotland at 90 mph for hours at 2500 revs, and in supreme comfort. It's small enough to get up some frankly barking roads. There were no motorhomes on the Ardnamurchan site  ;) Havent needed a hookup, even though I can. The solar panel pulls enough to run the fridge and lights and usb chargers even on a dull day. Its sunny this morning and the battery is at full charge, with and extra 4+ amps coming in on top of the the draw from the fridge.

Solar panels are great aren't they.  It's so nice being able to go totally off grid.  Our fridge only runs off 12V when we're moving, it's gas usually.

I highly recommend a GAS-IT conversion if you currently use bottles.  Fill up for 1/3 the price of Calor as and when you put fuel in the van, rather than try and run Calor bottles as empty as you can.

We're off to a C&CC site on Friday evening.  No hookup spaces available ...no problem

Big engines are also great.  I'd never drive our lump at 90mph but we have a 3Litre Diesel which comes into its own on long hills and overtaking.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #149 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:44:24 pm »
Thanks Lee. I'll look into the GAS-IT thing  :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm amazed at how both solar panels and mobile fridges have evolved.