Author Topic: Retirement countdown  (Read 8276 times)

Re: Retirement countdown
« Reply #25 on: 11 June, 2017, 04:17:38 pm »
One of the good things about retirement is having all day to do at leisure the things you had to run around like a blue arsed fly doing in the evenings.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #26 on: 28 August, 2017, 09:14:14 pm »
What about France, then as a retirement venue - full or part time ?
I know some YACFers who reside there and wonder what their experience of 'social cycling' has been ?
Are you embraced by local clubs? Or is YACF / CTC style 'pottering' frowned on by racing snakes ?
(I wonder what the nearest-to-YACF francophone chat room is?)

I was an 'outre-mer' member of FFCT for a couple  of years and they were nice to me on a week's holiday in Fréjus.

It's a general query about Brexit looming too - that's going to change the dynamic - and the € -£ rate.
Are the Brits scurrying away or staying put?

We have friends who live half the year in Auvergne - they spend every summer there and pay rates and taxes; they
tell me if they want to take French nationality they just sign up of the next ceremony at la mairie !

« Reply #27 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:07:45 am »
It's a general query about Brexit looming too - that's going to change the dynamic - and the € -£ rate.
Are the Brits scurrying away or staying put?

We have friends who live half the year in Auvergne - they spend every summer there and pay rates and taxes; they
tell me if they want to take French nationality they just sign up of the next ceremony at la mairie !

All the Brits I know are staying firmly put while moaning about the state of the £ if they are pensioners.  Most have employment or self-employment.  I am not optimistic about the £ as it seems the Eurozone isn't doing badly at the moment. 

Move Faster and Bake Things

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #28 on: 23 November, 2017, 08:35:34 pm »
Having been off "sick" for 6 weeks I have missed my school so much I almost regret my retirement decision! I popped in on Tuesday to touch base with my deputy and was overwhelmed by how pleased to see me were the staff and especially the children. Technically I have been signed off until 1 January but I saw my GP last week and she was amazed at my recovery rate. In fact, the only thing that stopped me returning  last week was lack of sleep and inability to drive caused by a very painful shoulder which now seems to have turned the corner.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #29 on: 27 March, 2018, 06:55:17 pm »
61 working days to go!   ;D

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #30 on: 04 April, 2018, 10:55:43 pm »
39 working days for me.

Although actually it will be less than that as I've got 2 weeks off to get married, plus I'm owed about another weeks holiday.  I'll see how I feel, and then decide how many days to work.   ;D
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Pedal Castro

« Reply #31 on: 16 June, 2018, 10:21:52 am »
22 working days to to...😁

« Reply #32 on: 22 June, 2018, 10:32:32 am »
Yay! Enjoy!   :thumbsup:

Approximately 2730 for me... :-/
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #33 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:23:21 am »
How much of a lump sum and pension are you all making do with?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #34 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:40:52 am »
1495 for me but if they throw me out after 780, I won't complain.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #35 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:45:43 am »
Counting down from about 4500, and that's only if retiring at 65 remains an option
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #36 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:54:58 am »
47 days until i could go.  I have now put my papers in for 24 hour retirement and return.

However my colleagues have made no attempt to cover my reduced hours for the month and the paperwork may well take longer so at the moment I am very stressed by a lot of things including an inability to say when I am actually retiring and returning.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #37 on: 22 June, 2018, 08:56:14 pm »
What does retire and return actually entail then?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #38 on: 23 June, 2018, 07:20:16 pm »
retire and return under the 1995 NHS rules means that I cannot be paid for 24 hours and then can work no more than 16 hours per week for a calendar month.

So this is a calendar month not four weeks which i find strange having lived the last 30+years working around 2,3 and 4 week rotations but they make the rules.

Then i get an email yesterday afternoon saying I had not put in my date of retirement despite another real saying they will sort out the holiday, etc and then tell me the date!! 

I had to fill in my bank details twice as the payment people are not electronically linked to the pension people.  You cannot make this up.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #39 on: 24 June, 2018, 07:42:02 am »
In our place, it usually involves retirement followed by an almost immediate return in a new suit and car as an overpaid day rate contractor because they couldn't find a replacement.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #40 on: 24 June, 2018, 05:21:45 pm »
In the NHS we just come back. I will probably py do the exact same job but may drop on call

Pedal Castro

« Reply #41 on: 24 June, 2018, 08:21:00 pm »
Another week down, last Sixth Form Ball done, quite a few last times coming up in the next three weeks...

Pedal Castro

« Reply #42 on: 13 July, 2018, 07:23:42 am »
Last day of term yesterday so just admin stuff to do now.

Yesterday was excellent, my last every Speech Day speech was about challenges and opportunities a school like ours can offer. Hidden under my academic gown was a pink feather boa and as I got to the bit about challenges I mentioned that my head of biology had dared me to wear the pink feather boa that had been a costume prop in the mornings talent show... ;D