Author Topic: Carbon threadless fork conversion on old steel frame (1" threaded)  (Read 1604 times)

ISTRC there was an online vendor offering a conversion kit.  Carbon forks with a long steerer, suitable headset, bung, spacers etc. but can no longer recall who.
Anyone with better memory or google-fu know if these are still available?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Not as far as I am aware.

1" carbon forks - usually alloy crown/alloy steerer - are still available, getting rare but Wiggle have some.
Headsets likewise - Cane Creek 40 Series is a good quality unit that's readily available. BBB also do one (I'm assuming a steel frame with external fittings) and there are cheaper loose ball versions too.
A good quality steerer bung is probably a better bet than a star nut, especially if you decide you want to shorten the steerer length after fitting.
Spacers - easy.

The only other thing you will need is a shim to fit inside the stem clamp, unless you already have a 1" handlebar stem, most stems these days are 28.6mm.

Feel free to PM me if you want any further guidance.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

I have a nice aluminium frame with 1" forks, Carrera (Davide Boifava not Halfords). The original fork was aluminium with a steel steerer. I "upgraded" it with carbon forks - carbon blades aluminium steerer but after seeing pictures and reports of steerer failures I decided that a 1" aluminium steerer was just not a good idea and replaced the originals.  I don't think a 1" (aluminium) steerer is stiff enough to avoid fatigue and is a liability.  You'd want the walls to be 3 times as thick as a steel one - and if they were you'd never get a star fangled nut (eeek!)  or plug in.  Aluminium steerers came in around the time we moved to 1 1/8" so 1" ones are a historical aberration that shouldn't be allowed.  Columbus (used to?) make a full carbon fork in 1" that was shaped to match a non-integrated headset - I think they were called "Minimal".  I have some in the garage that are still waiting to go on the Carrera frame.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Which is why I suggested a bung rather than a star nut. FTR the 1" alloy steerers I have used are approx 3mm wall thickness and although I've seen neglected forks begin to separate where the crown meets the blade - the sludge from brake blocks is quite corrosive - I've never heard of a crown or steerer failure in a reputable fork.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Torslanda is right.

HK converted both her Roberts bikes to 1" threadless carbon/ Al forks. She converted their Shimano threaded headsets to threadless with M-parts kits. One of them now has a Chris King headset. It is fairly easy to convert most CK headsets between threaded and threadless.

It is probably time I looked at replacing the fork on the remaining Roberts with an all carbon job but lack of mudguard fittings would be a pain. About the only thing I can find with 1" non-Al (actually steel) steerer, carbon blades and mudguard eyelets is only for 47-57mm brakes. HK squeezes in 23-25mm tyres with SKS mudguards and short-reach brakes on the current fork.
https://woundupcomposites.com/commuter-forks/commuter-fork-light-touring/
https://woundupcomposites.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Wound-Up-Fork-Specifications.pdf
Given the cost and weight of the Wound-Up fork, it might be worthwhile getting a new custom steel fork using one of the recent super-steels.

HK's racing tandem currently has a Reynolds solo(!) 1 1/8" carbon fork on it. When I have some spare time and a need to get the racing tandem in full racing trim (currently functional but not used for years), the fork will be replaced with a tandem-rated fork, probably a full-carbon Wound-Up Duo II. I don't know of any other manufacturer of tandem-rated forks for 1" headsets.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Does anyone know what the lightest 1" forks are that are still available?

I already have very nice Easton full-carbon forks, but I don't want a big downgrade if ever I bust them, so maybe I should get a spare while I can.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Cane Creek 40 Series is a good quality unit that's readily available

There's also a decent enough cartridge bearing offering direct from Condor cycles for ~£25 which I've been using (2 of) for the last few years, I recommend them heartily as a budget(ish) alternative to Cane Creek or posh Campag options.

I decided that a 1" aluminium steerer was just not a good idea and replaced the originals.  I don't think a 1" (aluminium) steerer is stiff enough to avoid fatigue and is a liability.

I agree with this very much, if you must use 1 inch with an Alu steerer then inspect regularly and be prepared to replace as well at the first sign of issues, and possibly wise to do so on a semi-regular time based interval if it's used on a high mileage/heavy load machine.

Admittedly steerer failures are rare but they are catastrophic when they happen and the relative scarcity of reports is also probably skewed by the (relatively speaking) smaller number of 1 inch Alu steerers in use, most people on 1 inch bikes are either still using steel forks, or have a very posh but older frame and are running appropriately posh full carbon forks, everyone else is on 1 1/8th. To be clear, I'm not saying that 1 inch Alu steerers are unsafe as such, but I'm just highlighting that their strength and fatigue life is less so be aware of that.

Columbus (used to?) make a full carbon fork in 1" that was shaped to match a non-integrated headset - I think they were called "Minimal"

They do, it is and yes they're still available, I bought a new one last week to replace an old Time carbon fork with a bent(!) steel steerer. They're don't cost much more than Alu steerer models (£150 vs £80-100) and are cheaper than a lot of high end 1 1/8th forks too, they ride nicely (I have an older set too), look good enough mated to old 1 inch frames, are a sensible weight and have a good reputation for reliability, they also come with the necessry bung. They will fit a 28mm tyre with clearance too, but no room for guards  :-(

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Wall thickness of 1" aluminium steerers varies.  Tifosi's are thicker than some others I've seen.  I'm not worried about mine.

(The full carbon forks I mention are on another bike).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●