Author Topic: Kedgeree or death?  (Read 3158 times)

Kedgeree or death?
« on: 15 June, 2017, 08:55:46 pm »
Kedgeree.
Made last Sunday evening.
Chilled rapidly, and in the fridge ever since.
OK to have cold for breakfast / lunch tomorrow?
Or will I spend a week in the bathroom?

Re: Kedgeree or death?
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:05:12 pm »
Have you got a cat you can try it out on first?

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:11:40 pm »
Have you got a cat you can try it out on first?
I have.
But her name is Part-Time, with good reason.
She only ever pitches up between November and March when the CH is on and she can sprawl herself over the linoleum on the kitchen floor just where the CH pipes run beneath it.
The rest of the year, I don't see much of her (she's not my cat, I just heat her)

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:22:44 pm »
I think waiting until November would definitely be pushing your luck.  A work colleague you are not keen on isn't be any good as tomorrow is Friday so you wont get the results back until Monday.  I think I might just decide that discretion is the better part and all that and bin it.  I did have some dodgy kedgeree many years ago and it was a long time before I could face eating it again.

« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:43:10 pm »
I don’t think I’d chance it. Maybe if it had been in the freezer rather than the fridge.

Quickly cooled or not, it would be the rice that would worry me. I wouldn’t trust it past about 24 hours and even then I’d feel a bit uncertain unless I heated the bejasus out of it. Which would be wrong for kedgeree and I’d probably still die.

« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:44:16 pm »
I think you are right, LJ.
I'm a bit risk averse when it comes to digestive stuff having *enjoyed* both Campylobacter and Gastroenteritis in my lifetime.
I might opt for a filthy BLT from the works canteen for brekky tomorrow and the kedge can go in the re-cycling.

ETA - Note taken of SP's post

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2017, 10:03:24 pm »
I say eat it and report back on Sunday when you've recovered  :thumbsup: :sick: :sick:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2017, 10:05:38 pm »
I say eat it and report back on Sunday when you've recovered  :thumbsup: :sick: :sick:

Were I to do that, my report would be probably be much later than Sunday

ian

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2017, 10:18:47 pm »
If it includes rice, as all good kedgeree should, then I wouldn't, not even if you slammed it in the fridge straight away. The toxins made by Bacillus cereus in rice are not heat labile, once there they will persist no matter how long you reheat and consumption will result in an undesired period of intimacy with a toilet bowl.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2017, 10:22:10 pm »
If it includes rice, as all good kedgeree should, then I wouldn't, not even if you slammed it in the fridge straight away. The toxins made by Bacillus cereus in rice are not heat labile, once there they will persist no matter how long you reheat and consumption will result in an undesired period of intimacy with a toilet bowl.
<microbiologist joke>
You cannot B cereus!
</microbiologist joke>
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2017, 10:22:43 pm »
Ta.
Nuff said.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2017, 11:57:20 pm »
Wimp.
 ;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 16 June, 2017, 01:12:00 am »

+1

my wife, of Indian stock does not leave rice, even in the fridge for more than two or three days
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:20:25 pm »
No wonder we have such a high rate of food waste
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:23:26 pm »
I blame the immigrants. Potatoes don't go off.
It is simpler than it looks.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:41:04 pm »
The toxins made by Bacillus cereus in rice are not heat labile, once there they will persist no matter how long you reheat and consumption will result in an undesired period of intimacy with a toilet bowl.
How true is this, and what does 'labile' mean?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ian

« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:49:14 pm »
Don't say this group isn't educational.

labile |ˈleɪbɪl, ˈleɪbʌɪl|
adjective technical
liable to change; easily altered: persons whose blood pressure is more labile will carry an enhanced risk of heart attack | we may be the most labile culture in all history.
• of or characterized by emotions which are easily aroused, freely expressed, and tend to alter quickly and spontaneously: mood seemed generally appropriate, but the patient was often labile.
• Chemistry easily broken down or displaced: the breakage of labile bonds | [in combination] : a heat-labile protein.
DERIVATIVES
lability |ləˈbɪlɪti| noun
ORIGIN
late Middle English (in the sense ‘liable to err or sin’): from late Latin labilis, from labi ‘to fall’.

ElyDave

« Reply #17 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:50:23 pm »

I'll let my father in law know it's all his fault.

He's Punjabi, so likes potatoes too by the way

ian

« Reply #18 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:53:59 pm »

They turn green though (if left in the light or damaged) and kill you in your sleep. Possibly.

But don't eat them, because the green colour is associated with solanine (and chaconine), the same glycoalkaloid toxins as in deadly nightshade (they're all in the same family, as are tomatoes).

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2017, 09:00:17 pm »
solanine (and chaconine), the same glycoalkaloid toxins
???
Here we go again.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ElyDave

« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2017, 09:05:54 pm »

They turn green though (if left in the light or damaged) and kill you in your sleep. Possibly.

But don't eat them, because the green colour is associated with solanine (and chaconine), the same glycoalkaloid toxins as in deadly nightshade (they're all in the same family, as are tomatoes).

My FIL tends to go brown if left in the light

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #21 on: 16 June, 2017, 09:14:07 pm »

The Alkaloids was my favourite floor of the library when I was faiiling to complete my Biochemistry and Chemistry degree.  Most of the plants in my garden are either poisonous (digitalis and aconitum) or yummily edible (fragaria and ribes) but I don't hand out guides...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

ian

« Reply #22 on: 16 June, 2017, 10:00:36 pm »
solanine (and chaconine), the same glycoalkaloid toxins
???
Here we go again.

I'm a muthafucking ninja botanist*. Think the bastard lovechild of David Bellamy and Samuel L. Jackson. OK, there's no coming back from that.

Solanine is the poison in deadly nightshade.

*technically speaking, a plant biochemist, then a molecular geneticist. And yes, I ate my creations. And subsequently became this group's leading Tidy Haired™ Thought Leader. I was also regularly exposed to radioactivity. I fear that breaking every topic I appear in with some stream of consciousness nonsense is my special superpower.