Author Topic: Any recommendations for a Linux anti-virus tool?  (Read 1076 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Any recommendations for a Linux anti-virus tool?
« on: 15 July, 2017, 08:33:04 am »
I've pretty much moved to Linux - Mint on desktops and netpads and Debian on the server, but I'm possibly running a risk of not having an anti-virus tool.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool, either free or moderate cost?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Any recommendations for a Linux anti-virus tool?
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2017, 10:00:14 am »
clamav is probably a good place to start.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2017, 10:06:01 am »
It's never occurred to me to install an anti-virus on ubuntu. Is it really necessary?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2017, 12:00:49 pm »
For the paranoid:

Clamav for viruses.
chkrootkit for rootkits.
lynsis for the rest - it will also give you hints on vulnerabilities potential security holes.

All can be set up as cron jobs, reporting by mail with variable verbosity to an interested sysop...

I've been running Linux since 1993 ( initially the "Soft Landing System" installed from floppies!) and not had a successful infection take hold yet - however, there are some nasties out there that will trap the unwary so you still have to take the usual precautions: don't click on silly links, sandbox your exposed services, don't run as root, don't install unknown programs, keep reasonably up to date, etc...

ian

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2017, 12:29:01 pm »
What pdm says. I've never bothered with antivirus etc. on a Mac. Common sense precautions are effective if you're not the sort of person who's never seen a link they can't click, and don't spend your evenings researching anatomy, and downloading dubious things.

That said, back in the days I used Windows, I never caught anything either, other then quarantined attachments.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2017, 01:01:40 pm »
I use clamav to scan incoming mail at SMTP time.  Very occasionally scan a suspect file before letting it anywhere near a Windows machine.  Otherwise, I don't bother.  Worms are a more likely vector on Linux machines than trojans and viruses, IMHO, so it's mostly about keeping things up to date and sensible firewall rules.