Author Topic: Police question: time taken to involve media in identifying possible crims  (Read 3311 times)

I know there are those in yacf familiar with the workings of the police service and much else.

I was reading this story today, in which some jogger pushes a woman into the path of a bus. I rarely find cause to praise London bus drivers, but this one did well to react as they did:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/08/police-search-for-jogger-who-knocked-woman-into-path-of-bus

The incident occurred on the 5th of May. Why so long before the video was made public and the appeal put out? Time taken to get footage? Exploring other avenues?

As an aside, I find it remarkable that the man concerned ran back across Putney Bridge later in his run.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Having seen video footage of the event, it was pretty obvious that the push was deliberate. It wasn't an accidental barge of someone who stepped into his way: he swerved towards her before contact was made.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

There was plenty of space to pass safely as well.

What a pleasant individual :hand:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
It reminds me of something I saw in a TV programme many years ago.

Stratford Johns, dressed all in black with a long overcoat, crossing a bridge over a river (reminiscent of the bridge over the Ouse near York Minster) picked up a child and threw him over the parapet into the river and carried on as if nothing had happened . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Stratford Johns, dressed all in black with a long overcoat, crossing a bridge over a river (reminiscent of the bridge over the Ouse near York Minster) picked up a child and threw him over the parapet into the river and carried on as if nothing had happened . . .

Since you mention York (the bridge nearest the Minster is Lendal

although Ouse Bridge

and Skeldergate

Bridges aren't far away and upstream is Scarborough Bridge

), I would say that the York Press also carries stories asking help in ID-ing suspects long after the crime occurred. 

Usually with comments below that usually ask the same question but no one has answered it that I know.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

"Brond", IIRC
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Having seen video footage of the event, it was pretty obvious that the push was deliberate.

No doubt about it.

My question remains: why 3 months?

"Brond", IIRC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWT0i4ZKTVU  3:03  , and that's a very young John Hannah.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Looks like someone has been arrested http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40889511

"Brond", IIRC

Yup that fits.

The actual bridge was in Glasgow, Gibson Street Bridge over the River Kelvin.  The blue car in the background is a rare Vauxhall Belmont.

Looks like someone has been arrested http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40889511

That's good.
Move Faster and Bake Things

And released because they were in the US at the time.

A second person (also 41) has been arrested (and subsequently released): http://www.putneysw15.com/default.asp?section=info&page=concrime341f.htm
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
My question remains: why 3 months?
It would be smarter to put this out rather fast so that it is clean in peoples/witness minds. Even if I saw that three months down the line I would have had a hard time remembering what clothing either wore. And IF the numpty did something elsewhere to someone else that I saw, three months down the line I wouldn't be able to link the two.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

I'd have expected that more detailed CCTV images would have been obtained along his route.

But I suppose most are deleted within a short time.

I'd still dearly love to know what methods the police were using to ID this man in the 3 months prior to putting the video out to the media. Or if any methods were being used.

The police have probably resisting recording this as a crime because it would be better for stats to show reduced levels of crime rather than low clear up rate.

I know I'm being cynical but my involvement with the Warwickshire constabulary on numerous occasions has influenced my thinking.

Soft on crime, tough on the reporters of crime.

ian

And released because they were in the US at the time.

A second person (also 41) has been arrested (and subsequently released): http://www.putneysw15.com/default.asp?section=info&page=concrime341f.htm

Maybe they're just arresting random white men in the hope they get the right one? To date, that seems to have been policy for black men, so it's a natural extension.

It doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that it takes three months (and I expect some pressure) before they take someone being shoved under a bus seriously. Mind you, had it been a cyclist they wouldn't have bothered at all.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The police have probably resisting recording this as a crime because it would be better for stats to show reduced levels of crime rather than low clear up rate.
Soft on crime, tough on the reporters of crime.

Ain't that the TRUTH?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
I'd have expected that more detailed CCTV images would have been obtained along his route.

But I suppose most are deleted within a short time.

I'd still dearly love to know what methods the police were using to ID this man in the 3 months prior to putting the video out to the media. Or if any methods were being used.

I thought it odd that the released footage was from the bus in front, not from the bus which narrowly missed the woman who'd been pushed.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The man was running in the direction the buses were moving, so CCTV from the rear of the bus in front probably gave more view of him.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

It doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that it takes three months (and I expect some pressure) before they take someone being shoved under a bus seriously. Mind you, had it been a cyclist they wouldn't have bothered at all.

Aside from the nature of the crime itself and my hope that justice is done, my interest in this does tie in with my impressions in relation to crimes against cyclists - hit and runs. I mean, if you can’t find this guy, who has probably had CCTV covering most of his run to and from home - he ran back across Putney Bridge FFS and he doesn’t look like a marathon runner - then what hope is there.

Re: Police question: time taken to involve media in identifying possible crims
« Reply #20 on: 15 September, 2017, 12:40:25 pm »
And another new image released yesterday  ???

How crap is that picture?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Police question: time taken to involve media in identifying possible crims
« Reply #21 on: 15 September, 2017, 05:29:45 pm »
Could the slow, or staggered, release of images be in order to keep public interest up? It could be that the images aren't really much help in getting members of the public to identify someone, but keeping the story alive shows the police are still pursuing the case, might jog someone's memory and keeps pressure on the criminals.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.