Author Topic: My ride this morning.  (Read 1973 times)

Monty

• Buffoon
My ride this morning.
« on: 22 August, 2017, 11:03:17 pm »
So whilst out on my 27 mile struggle ride around the Dengie peninsula, I passed a thin young man all dolled up in Movistar gear, a little pretentious I thought. But anyway, we gave each other the usual friendly wave...his a somewhat more relaxed than mine as he was going down hill and looked more like he was just riding to the shops.
Uploaded to Strava...check a few personal bests...I'm usually within the top 5 to 6 hundred generally speaking. I notice some ridiculous times recorded by a certain Alex Dowsett on my route which prompts a little delving. It turns out that it must have been him I passed earlier in the Movistar get up as he'd uploaded his route too. So all previous thoughts regarding his 'gear' were dismissed.
I'm not really up on my cycling bods, but I have noticed his name being mentioned in the Maldon cycling club Facebook page now and again. I'm pretty sure it's his local club in fact.
He must've taken part in their usual Tuesday evening 10 mile TT this evening as he's uploaded it...30.8 mph.
Ha! I now know the route. I plan to tackle this at some point...I expect my time to be roughly double his!  ;D

Funny old world...but it's kind of made my cycling day really.
Steady at 15

Re: My ride this morning.
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2017, 11:24:10 am »
Ha! Well yep he's pretty damn good and does indeed ride for Movistar!  At least he's got an excuse not like all the Team Sky folk I see around [you know I might consider wearing a shirt or shorts of their if someone bought some, but the whole kit?!?]

« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2017, 12:37:44 pm »
He'll be getting new kit soon as he has signed for Katusha-Alpecin......plus ample supplies of shampoo!

« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2017, 01:21:05 pm »
He did ride with Maldon when he was younger but also rode with Glendene Cycling club near Brentwood which I joined and rode with for a while whilst I lived in that part of Essex.

Before he was famous he was riding for a Belgian junior team when he came on our club run once. I didn't know who he was but he had a much better tan than the rest of us. Towards the end of the ride some of the younger more racy types asked if they could do an extra loop with Alex and he simply cruised away without a thought taking all the junior race team in tow.

I learnt who he was much later but I'd left the club by then.

On your travels you might also come across a certain ex world champion from the isle of man. He certainly used to have a house in Essex and he has a jersey hanging next to one of Alex's in the Blue Egg at Finchingfield.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2017, 02:43:22 pm »
When Auntie Helen OTP was Essex-domiciled, she and I occasionally saw the aid Mr. Dowsett out on his travels. AH knew who he was, I didn't. He also rides with a certain Mr. Cavendish, whom I have seen at lunch at the Blue Egg in Great Bardfield.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2017, 02:51:53 pm »
Interesting isn't it.
I had a look on Wiki. Apparently he has haemophilia which only goes to deepen my admiration for someone who continues to do what he wants, despite what life has thrown at him.

If we pass each other again I'll try to give him a more enthusiastic wave!  :D
Steady at 15

« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2017, 03:24:18 pm »
Ha! Well yep he's pretty damn good and does indeed ride for Movistar!  At least he's got an excuse not like all the Team Sky folk I see around [you know I might consider wearing a shirt or shorts of their if someone bought some, but the whole kit?!?]

Common sight in places like Italy to see folk out cycling in team kit for the team they follow. Just like football supporters. I suppose it is something we find alien and if someone turns up in the team kit they get chided. Why? They are just showing support for their team.

« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2017, 08:53:39 pm »
In Alex's case, he's probably contractually obliged to wear Movistar kit at all times on his bike.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:57:29 pm »
Look up the UK record for a 10 mile TT.  It's absolutely terrifying.  I can only imagine it was one of those freak "float" scenarios where the wind changes at the turn and you get a tailwind both ways. 

I've always wished for one of those but the closest I got was a steady 20mph tailwind on the way out, meaning I could stomp along at almost 30mph, and a 20mph headwind all the way back, which reduced me to a 15mph crawl - particularly unenjoyable when you're riding 48 x 14 fixed  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2017, 04:01:53 pm »
Well I did it! The TT10...

Time: 36 minutes @ 16.7mph.

I'm actually pretty chuffed with that time as I was expecting to be nearer 40 minutes! Still...I won't be troubling the leader-boards any time this decade!  :facepalm:
Steady at 15