Author Topic: Battle Mountain 2017  (Read 10290 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Battle Mountain 2017
« Reply #50 on: 16 September, 2017, 09:21:48 pm »
Lot's of weather frustrations around this year. It must be disappointing for people who have planned, at some cost too, to make their way down there only to be met with circumstances they can do nought about.

This has been one of the worst years I can remember for weather; there is talk of making it a bit longer and/or moving it it to before Labor Day (1st Monday in September).  And Kieran from the Scousers has suggested that the European teams pool their resources in getting bikes and bits air-freighted to, say, Reno to cut transport costs and hassle.  Tourism Nevada have been hanging around looking for suggestions today too.

Sadly Barbara Buatois still hasn't regained her starting mojo and was unable to make a run in either bike.

But what's happened to Barbara? I can't imagine she's any less the athlete she was, but It's like I'm reading about somebody whose never been in one of these things before. Is the new Varna, just so different from the old one, as to make handling verging on the 'not possible?. Is it built by George [sorry I've forgotten his surname]?

Mostly lack of practice, according to Julius (Mr Barbara).  Plus they reckon the camera on the new bike wasn't pointed 100% straight down the road.  They spent some time getting the alignment just so yesterday afternoon, and have had the multilingual Todd Reichert launching the bike too.  Neither last night nor this morning were up to the standards we'd come to expect from Barbara but she didn't go down or off the road.

Very cold and initially quite breezy this morning, so much so that the riders scheduled for the 07:30 heat decided not to run.  It never got properly warm but the wind died for the later runs. No wrecks and nobody drownded; fastest run was Shinsuke Kouzai with an non-legal 76.22.  Best wind-legal run was Andrea with  73.72, just ahead of Ken's 73.37.  Both the Dutch women were over 70 too; Yasmin's 67.96 was thus a little disappointing, though both BRITONS will be running this evening when it's forecast to be warm and not windy.

Photo op and visit from the Highway Patrol afterwards, which saw Calvin, Aniek and serial offender Barbara cuffed and led away in disgrace.  For some reason the Scousers wanted me in their team photo afterwards.  I have no idea why.

Final runs tonight, plus the awards bash.  Things this Unit would like to see:
  • World record for Yasmin
  • 80 mph from Andrea/Calvin/Ken
(Crosses digits)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #51 on: 18 September, 2017, 02:42:15 am »
The wind refused to cooperate on the last night and only Aniek in VeloX 7 got a legal run in: 75.51 mph and just a whisker under Barbara's record.  If she hadn't dropped it on her first start attempt, who knows?  Ken got moved to the third heat after dropping three times in the second; fortunately there was a slot free.  Calvin missed out on the chance of an 80 mph run after Alan binned Eta Prime bigly halfway down the course, losing his specs in the process.  I drove down 305 on the way out of town this morning and they were back out there looking for them...  Both Ken and Yasmin got their best runs of the week with 71.48 and 77.4 mph, leaving them reasonably happy but still a bit frustrated1.

Bit of a letdown all told, considering the possibilities, but if the weather hadn't been so shit things might have turned out better.

1: Although I think Yasmin got over it fairly quickly:

P9170395 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #52 on: 24 September, 2017, 03:22:40 am »
Will Bethany (7) and Bethany's mum be travelling also?

BN: Bethany (7) will not be appearing in this year's Automatic Diary.
GN: Bethany (8 ) and Bethany's Mum appear in the entry for Day 25.  Crazy P Sagan gets a mention too.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #53 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:38:47 pm »
Updating The Cool Wall normally takes at least six weeks, but this year I have not been a Terrible Shirker:

The Cool Wall by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

« Reply #54 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:58:26 am »
You're gonna need a bigger wall ...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #55 on: 03 October, 2017, 12:34:59 pm »