Author Topic: Thinking about a Carradice Barley or Pendle  (Read 10303 times)

Thinking about a Carradice Barley or Pendle
« on: 11 September, 2017, 04:58:09 pm »
Now the cooler and wet weather is upon us, I'm thinking of increasing my luggage space for Audax rides which at the moment are only 100-200km rides although next year I want to do some 300s. I also do occasional night rides.

In particular I'm thinking of the Carradice Barley at 9l or Pendle at 11l.

I want to keep my rear rack (Tubus Vega Evo) as I also use panniers (not at the same time) and more importantly I have my rear Dyno light bolted to it. I have a small frame and there is about 17cm clearance from the saddle loops (?) on my Brooks C17.

Any thoughts from the wise?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Thinking about a Carradice Barley or Pendle
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:12:55 pm »
Unless you have a Bagman, it hangs at a funny angle and bounces off the backs of your thighs.  I make it tolerable by putting a piece of card inside to stiffen the front, and spacing the bag from the seatpost by running the strap through a piece of plastic tube.  Really, there should be a better way to make these.

Disclaimer: I do have the saddle all the way back, which may exacerbate the problem - and your rack might support it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

IJL

Re: Thinking about a Carradice Barley
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:19:00 pm »
I went to look at a Barley but it didn't look very big and bought the Pendle which sits on a Carradice Classic rack, its big enough for 300's or 200s were the weather is unpredictable.  For a summer 200 with a good forecast a Carradice zipped roll does the job (the capacity is a lot more than Carradice quote).  I don't like riding long distance with bulging jersey pockets.

It all depends on how little you like to carry, I'm happy to carry a bit of weight and have an extra bit of kit for any dramatic weather change, I also like to carry some food to cope with my hunger phobia.  On the flip side plenty of people seem to do 300's on the contents of their jersey pockets 

The classic rack is the thing that hooks into the saddle bag loops on the saddle, it works well as long as you remember its there when you get off the bike, it also places the bag high up in the slipstream of my bum

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »
If you have a rack permanently fitted, then why not a Carradice Super C Rack Pack?  No need for additional straps / supports / gussets, just put the rack pack on the rack! 

Or even cheaper, a LOMO waterproof rack bag?  http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:36:42 pm »
That Tubus rack is a bit too narrow for attaching a rackpack. It would probably wobble a bit or flop over.
You could replace it with something like a Tortec Ultralite, which is a bit wider (and also has a plate for bolting on a light).

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:47:07 pm »
I think the small frame comment is key. The bagman sport has an 18cm drop, so at 17cm you will probably be able to rest the bag on the rack; or at least attach it to the rack using the third strap.

On one of my bikes I've attached a rack mount rear light successfuly to a bagman using p-clips which is another option.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:59:07 pm »
I'd also endorse the use of a Bagman.
I have a bit of Correx folded around the inside of mine, together with a chopped up piece of yoga mat to stop stuff bouncing around too much inside it.

Mine is about 12 years old and looks the part, but is still perfectly waterproof. It has faded a lot, but the newer materials just don't fade over time, so are much more durable.

There are a bunch of limited edition colours about to be launched on the Carradice website - check their Facebook pages for the colours.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2017, 06:15:23 pm »
The Carradice Super C rack bag can be used on a rack narrower than itself, and the stiff base keeps it stable.  The only problem with it (on any rack) is that the velcro straps eventually wear out.  I think it's still one of the best rack bags for high capacity - it can be loaded up with even more than advertised.  Otherwise I'd look for a quick-release alternative.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2017, 07:17:42 pm »
I'm very happy with a Pendle and Carradice Classic rack. However, the bottom of the fully loaded combo comes about 22cm below my saddle loops.

« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:49:05 pm »
If you're keeping your rack on you don't need a bag support, the bag will rest fine on the rack. I use a Pendle for a little extra capacity.

John

« Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2017, 07:20:22 am »
These replies are useful and thank you for your considered approach. I'm leaning towards a green Barley at the moment. The size is probably more suited to  my frame size and existing Tubus rack.

My touring experience has shown if you have too much space you will fill it. The Barley will curtail the urge to over think and over pack, which I might do with a Pendle. And if I am going to bare my heart to you, I like the overall design of the Barley. Purely from an aesthetic point of view.

I think I should be able to get all I need into it and the design allows for some gubbins to be strapped to the top. At a push, I could also use a bar bag for a mat and bivi bag etc.

Not much budget, so I will have to sell a couple of 'surplus to requirement' things on eBay first.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2017, 07:49:58 am »
The Carradice Super C rack bag can be used on a rack narrower than itself, and the stiff base keeps it stable.  The only problem with it (on any rack) is that the velcro straps eventually wear out.  I think it's still one of the best rack bags for high capacity - it can be loaded up with even more than is advertised.  Otherwise I'd look for a quick-release alternative.
Yes, I also think that the rack bag is very aerodynamic as it sits entirely in your slipstream.

Envoyé de mon E2033 en utilisant Tapatalk

Chief cat entertainer.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:24:31 am »
I've found a Barley big enough for rides up to 300km.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:25:22 am »
I'm leaning towards a green Barley at the moment. The size is probably more suited to  my frame size and existing Tubus rack ...

Not much budget, so I will have to sell a couple of 'surplus to requirement' things on eBay first.
I have a nearly new green Barley that I have been meaning to offload but have never got around to it. If you're interested, PM me.

« Reply #14 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:50:47 am »
IME a barley is a little small for commuting (pick two of clothes, shoes, lunchbox), but perfect for audax. My setup is tools in one side pocket, spare tubes in the other. The main compartment is then easily big enough to hold a jacket, midlayer, and a lunch box; depending on how compact your bivi bag and mat are you should be able to squeeze them in or strap them to the top loops.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:56:51 am »
I don't think you'll be needing a bivi bag and mat on a 200! But you mention pockets; not entirely sure these are that useful, I think in many ways the same capacity bag in one large space is more usable than pockets, ie Junior rather than Barley, Cadet rather than Pendle. It all depends on how you like to pack though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Samuel D

« Reply #16 on: 12 September, 2017, 12:32:45 pm »
Pockets can be useful, but I think not useful enough to be worth their cost in purchase price, weight, and possibly aerodynamic drag. For example, how quickly does Jakob W, above, need access to his tools and spare tubes that reside in the pockets?

Therefore I quite like the Junior.

« Reply #17 on: 12 September, 2017, 01:21:45 pm »
I don't think you'll be needing a bivi bag and mat on a 200! But you mention pockets; not entirely sure these are that useful, I think in many ways the same capacity bag in one large space is more usable than pockets, ie Junior rather than Barley, Cadet rather than Pendle. It all depends on how you like to pack though.

I use the Barley as an everyday bag on a modified S-frame on my Brompton's front carrier block, and find it perfect for this use .I use one of the outer pockets for my (very over-full) wallet and waterproof saddle cover, the other for a spare inner tube and C02 inflator and cartridges. Everything else goes in the main bag, except I use the handy D-ring loops on top of the bag with some Zefal toe straps to strap on my raincoat (which frees up more space in the bag). I don't think the Junior has the D-rings on top.

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #18 on: 12 September, 2017, 02:44:31 pm »
For example, how quickly does Jakob W, above, need access to his tools and spare tubes that reside in the pockets?

<voice type="Noel_Coward">It's the aesthetics of it all, dear boy.</voice>

More seriously, I like the organisational convenience of pockets; not having to grub for tools somewhere in the bottom of the bag with mucky hands is helpful. And with a little rearrangement I find I can put snacks in the side pocket and reach them while on the move; handy for chocolate bars etc. that melt if left in a jersey pocket.

« Reply #19 on: 12 September, 2017, 05:02:54 pm »
I am grateful so thank you. Who would have thought there was so much to learn about bags eh?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #20 on: 12 September, 2017, 05:09:40 pm »
A Barley is the Audax saddlebag/daybag.

It's plenty big enough for 200/300 rides because you can strap stuff on the outside with some toe-straps.

My setup has always been:

Tools in one pocket
Tubes/small lock in the other
Waterproof/Hi-Viz on the outside
baselayer/leg warmers/arm warmers and snacks..etc on the inside.

Carradice Saddlebags, unlike any other saddle pack I  ever owned, lend themselves to cramming so you can usually get everything in, no matter how much stuff you end up carrying.

Bigger saddlebag = more crap.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #21 on: 12 September, 2017, 05:13:04 pm »
A Barley is the Audax saddlebag/daybag.

It's plenty big enough for 200/300 rides because you can strap stuff on the outside with some toe-straps.

^^^ This - see the photo of the Barley I front-mounted on my Brompton, Zefal toe straps are what you want for strapping stuff to the top - the "tan" ones are are reasonably close match colour wise to the other leather bits on the Barley
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #22 on: 12 September, 2017, 05:17:58 pm »
I'm leaning towards a green Barley at the moment. The size is probably more suited to  my frame size and existing Tubus rack ...

I have a nearly new green Barley that I have been meaning to offload but have never got around to it. If you're interested, PM me.

I have opened up hostile negotiations and PMd you.

Thanks for those additional comments. I think at this early stage, 300s will be my longest rides so the Barley sounds right. I notice Carradice have updated their site with 'limited editions'. Red isn't me but the black looks quite nice with a little UJ flag. Whatever that represents now.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #23 on: 12 September, 2017, 05:26:12 pm »
FYI.  I have never needed, or wanted, a support for the Barley(s) I own*.  It sometimes touches the back of my legs, sometimes not.  I don't care, it doesn't irritate me, so little does it irritate me that I'm actually not sure if it does or doesn't any more. 

*This is not true of my Super C which absolutely needs a support. It eventually sags down to the wheel.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #24 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:11:59 pm »
That Tubus rack is a bit too narrow for attaching a rackpack. It would probably wobble a bit or flop over.
You could replace it with something like a Tortec Ultralite, which is a bit wider (and also has a plate for bolting on a light).

They work fine with an Arkel tail rider, which is an excellent solution for Audax, probably the best.